O'Shea - Walters - Verbal Agreement

Ridermania

CALGARY – Winnipeg Blue Bombers general manager Kyle Walters says he and Mike O’Shea have a verbal agreement to extend his head-coaching contract, but not a signed one.

O’Shea has navigated the Blue Bombers to Sunday’s Grey Cup game in Calgary against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The 49-year-old from North Bay, Ont., is in the final season of a three-year contract extension signed in 2016.

“Mike and I … I’ve said at various points this year that Mike has no interest in talking about that sort of stuff during the year,” Walters said Wednesday during Blue Bomber practice.

“I’ve looked Mike in eye and told him I want him to be the head coach next year. He’s looked me in the eye and told me he wants to be back. There’s a whole lot of things that go between … getting a signed contract for him.

“We’re not going to worry about that. What we talked about is a good start. Him and I will sit down, win or lose, and try and get something sorted out.”

O’Shea is in his sixth season as the Bombers’ head coach. The team has reached the playoffs the last four seasons and posted a 44-28 record during that span.

A three-time Grey Cup winner as a player with the Toronto Argonauts, Sunday marks his debut as a head coach in the game.

(Canadian Press)

I don't think anyone is saying this is a verbal contract. Just 2 guys being on the same page. That is absolutely worth something.  Unless you think that Walters is posturing (doubt it).  Most likely situation here is the one presented, and outside of a few media guys trying to stir the pot, there is no reason to think O'Shea doesn't want back here.

If Walter's has gone on record as saying what he did...the mutual confirmation of wanting to be, then I would take it as a done deal eventually...and to me that is good news...Oshea is a big draw and gets the best..and most outta guys as a "team" if you ask me

If there was trouble in the water, or a pretty good feeling of ways parting..Then Walter's would have just said we have talked about it, but nothing in ways of progress and left it at that...

I cringe when I think about the coaching wilderness we could find ourselves in if O'Shea were to leave.  

We've enjoyed sustained success for the first time in a decade.  We have players who sign (and re-sign) here because of our coach.   (As fans) we now expect to finish at / in the top of our division year over year.

This is, in large part, because of the man patrolling the sidelines.

Is O'Shea perfect?  No.  He's still growing as a coach and some may quibble with perceived 'personal traits' (the stubbornness or loyalty he shows to players / staff as an example) but consider this .. he's done more / achieved more (with arguably less talent at the most important position in the CFL) than any other coach.  4 straight years with 10 or more wins.  44 regular season wins.  4 years in the playoffs .. progressing year over year (in the playoffs twice > winning the semi-final > winning the final and going to Grey Cup).

I hope he re-signs.  I hope we get a deal done sooner rather than later.

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

This whole thread is garbage. Why did a Riders "fan" feel the need to come over here and start this thread........?

@Ridermania is a very active member on TEP and posts a lot of information there often. I wouldn't read too much into the username, if at all.

Edited by blue_gold_84

59 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

@Ridermania is a very active member on TEP and posts a lot of information there often. I wouldn't read too much into the username, if at all.

I think he is actually a closet Bomber fan, lol... 

as for O'Shea... I had already come to the conclusion that it was going to get worked out and he would be retained... given the coaching landscape, it's not necessarily a bad thing... my only issue is that knowing how MOS is that it probably means that Lapo and Hall will also be retained if they want to stay as well... while Hall has looked 'ok' during the playoffs, Lapo has shown tell tale signs of what we have seen regularly in the past... I don't think that Hall has all of a sudden figured out how to get it done either, but we'll see... 

I would also assume we can plan on a return of Nichols as QB1 as well...

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

This whole thread is garbage. Why did a Riders "fan" feel the need to come over here and start this thread........?

I am a CFL fan and post things that I think other fans would be interested in.

Honestly don't think it's a garbage post, but  say what you will, all good from my end.

Go Bombers on Sunday.

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

Walters is still under contract for next season.

...Pretty sure they'll get him re-upped at the same time to make sure he's one year longer than Osh's deal, as they did last time. It makes sense, anyhow...

4 hours ago, gcn11 said:

O'Shea doesn't strike me as a guy who would backtrack on a verbal agreement unless Walters lowballed him.

Who knows what Pinball will offer him? It may not be a question of lowballing but matching. Remember there's a coach's cap now. Bombers may not be able to match. Guess we'll see what happens next week. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27