Superstitions

TrueBlue4ever

So the Bombers are the "home" team this week, get the home locker room and choice of uniform, and are opting to wear their road whites. Hamiotn will wear their home black on black (or maybe yellow pants, but I'd bet on the former). 

Bombers were 8-1 in their royal blues this year (only loss in them was to Hamilton, BTW) and 5-6 in their whites (including the playoffs - again, lost to Hamilton wearing the whites)

Tiger Cats were 6-3 in their road whites and 10-0 in their home blacks, playoffs included.

The team wearing the dark jersey has won the last 8 Grey Cups in a row. All were the "home" team and opted for the home jersey. The Bombers last 2 Grey Cup wins were in their royal blues, but their last Grey Cup in Alberta as the Western representative they wore white, and beat, you guessed it, the Tiger Cats (in 1984).

SO, which superstition matters most? The cardinal rule (if Bull Durham taught me nothing else) is that you never mess with a streak, and they are on a playoff winning streak in white right now. But is it more important to mess with the opponent's streak if it is powerful too (Ticats are perfect this year in black), or is it all about you and who cares about the other team's mojo?

Or do we just like the blue unit better?

Finally, on a personal note, do any MBB posters have their own superstitions surrounding the Bombers, sports in general, or in life?

Thoughts and opinions, please.

And to answer that last question myself, I don't much go in for superstitions, but there is one biggie for me - whenever I board an airplane I have to touch the fuselage to the right of the entry door (and if there is one there, specifically any logo) with my right hand. Cannot board a plane without doing it, and have convinced myself that doing it is the good luck I need to not die in a plane crash. Once did not do it and literally had to go back and re-enter the plane, and the few times I've had to de-plane and come back, I have to touch the door frame again on the right side. Can't explain it, makes no logical sense, but damned if I'm ever not going to do it.

During this Playoff run I have been wearing my Willie Jefferson “I am gonna kill the QB” lining up white T shirt I bought this year and the Gold cargo Kakki shortS with Bomber logo. That’s gone 2 for 2.

Plus I own about 20 Bomber jerseys. Two of which I hang in my rec room. KeepIng the signed Wally up but rotating the other. Last weekend was the heritage Jack Jacobs #17. I thinking the the Golden sign Stegall to put it over the top.

Edited by GOLD MEMBER

12 hours ago, jazzsax said:

Here's something to note...

Every game that I've attended at McMahon where I have had at least 3 40 Creek's... the bombers have won.

Every game where I've attended at McMahon where I was "cautious" and had less.... we lost.

MULTIPLE 40 Creek's on sunday it is!!!!

If this is going to work, I will come buy you one to get you over 3!!

I played a bit of junior hockey, and everybody else on the team being superstitious made me superstitious. I started putting my equipment on the left side of my body first, and now I do it with shoes, clothes, etc. It actually bothers me to see somebody put their right shoe on first.

It's weird b/c it brought me no luck in my hockey life, so I gained no perceived benefit from it, but I can't not do it now...

haven't shaved since before the last game of the reg season and have worn my "Canadian Mafia" shirt for each game since (and including) that one. All my jerseys (I have about a dozen or so) are cursed, says I, so I haven't been wearing a jersey of late. I will wear some of them this weekend at the various parties, and think I might wear one to the game on Sunday....we'll see how it goes. #NotSuperstitiousJustALittleStitious

Watching the Calgary game at home with the family and, at one point, my daughter gets disgusted with the Bombers and takes off her jersey.  She folds it.  Sits it down on an end table in the living room, goes to cool off then comes back to watch the game.  We go on to win.  That jersey has sat .. untouched .. on a table in my living room the last two weeks.  My daughter intends to leave it there until after we win the Grey Cup on Sunday.

My Game Day,

Do not Shave , put on old lightning bolt logo T. (to be worn under Jersey later)

Pre-game - do not use  "Game Time" beer glass. Use any pre-game beer glass ( Draught beer from kegerator)

Game time: Put on Royal Blue Jersey, switch to 20oz "Game-Time" beer glass.

I have two identical "Game-Time" beer glasses. I may have mixed them up a few times during the season - my bad. I have been using the right one the past 3 weeks. :)

I've worn my White Bighill jersey to all games this season, including the season opener in BC, except last weekend, and Retro night (I can't seem to find it, but think this was the game VS Hamilton).

If Retro Night was in fact VS Hamilton, I think I'll roll with the White jersey.   That said, wearing Blue on the road the last couple seasons, they've been 3-0.

I'm not really a superstitious person at all, but this is serious business now with this drought!   I wore Blue to the 07 Grey Cup.  I think White is the route to go!