107th GREY CUP - Tiger-Cats @ Blue Bombers

JCon

39 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What should he have done exactly? He led on the field and in all likelihood led in the locker room. Stegall has been praised by basically every teammate he's ever had. The man is a consummate professional. What else should he have done to get another player in line? Roberts did what he wanted off the field because what he typically did on it was so insanely positive; he led by example on the field consistently.

I'm not sure what any teammate of his could've said or done to rein in his off field behaviour. I think the issue is this: Roberts took for granted his natural talent as he aged, failing to realize late nights and partying take a toll. He has nobody to blame but himself for that attitude.

That being said, it boggles my mind to think what he might have been capable of had he committed to taking better care of himself (not smoking, less partying, etc.).

You babysit the guy if that is what it takes.

6 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

What if baby sitting that guy affects your performance?

It is all what ifs.

Bottom line, they went 0-3 in Cups so they never figured out what it takes.

Guys on this team, no way Harris, Bighill, et al are letting that happen 

If it does, O'Shea will ditch the dead weight.

Believe that ****

Edited by Geebrr

Milt I don't think was ever a huge leader of men on the team. He talked about in the past how he would only be a coach if he could guarantee he had a team of guys like himself. 

And that's ok.  It everyone has to be that kind if leader, but you do need some of those guys.

And some people just won't be led no matter how much you try. 

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Milt I don't think was ever a huge leader of men on the team. He talked about in the past how he would only be a coach if he could guarantee he had a team of guys like himself. 

And that's ok.  It everyone has to be that kind if leader, but you do need some of those guys.

There is blame to go around, without question.

But don't distance yourself from it. Own it. 

55 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

You babysit the guy if that is what it takes.

That's oversimplifying the situation. And for all we know, this teammates tried to keep him in line. At the end of the day, the individual himself has to make that decision for the greater good. Roberts chose to be selfish, though.

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

There is blame to go around, without question.

But don't distance yourself from it. Own it. 

Who distanced himself from it? 

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That's oversimplifying the situation. And for all we know, this teammates tried to keep him in line. At the end of the day, the individual himself has to make that decision for the greater good. Roberts chose to be selfish, though.

Who distanced himself from it? 

He is saying other guys got distracted but not me.

You're all in it together. Teams with leadership don't allow that behaviour to exist. 

21 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Anyone else think Jeff Hamilton should change his name to Jeff Winnipeg for this week??

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

saw James Wilder talking about how he was going to be at GC and was going to be "bundled" up, and I snorted. **** off....

wait... is the CFL/media still trying to convince us Jame Wilder is an all-star... wow, that 6 game run, 3 years ago is really paying off for him...

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I dislike Milt the more I hear him talk 

I'm pretty sure this'll get you banned! :) 

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This is where I'm at. 

Milt was so great, people want to heap even more on to him. But I think that any leadership Milt provided was by example. He has spoken many times before about not going out with the guys after practice and he clearly wasn't after guys to stay out of the clubs, etc. He was a professional, but worried about making sure he was doing his job, not worrying about other people doing their's. 

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

This is where I'm at. 

Milt was so great, people want to heap even more on to him. But I think that any leadership Milt provided was by example. He has spoken many times before about not going out with the guys after practice and he clearly wasn't after guys to stay out of the clubs, etc. He was a professional, but worried about making sure he was doing his job, not worrying about other people doing their's. 

The team was also a mess

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

I lose respect for both.

Milt is the one blaming others 15 years later.

Own it 

You're off your rocker man. Milt is owning it. He's also saying a bunch of players took it for granted and didn't prep properly for the game.  For some inexplicable reason you want Milt to come out and say:

"Even though I spent every minute of my life being the best football player I could, it's my fault grown @ss adults decided to smoke, not work out and party before the game. In fact, I should  have stayed up all night bar hoping to see if anyone was out late partying and told them 'Milt says get to bed'. "

On 2019-11-20 at 11:13 AM, Goalie said:

And some ppl want to move on from this guy? Dude is a legend

Great response, but if I was ever in that position, I'd say something like: "With each other? I haven't heard anything about that going on so far this season, but the ancient Greeks did encourage it amongst their soldiers so they'd fight more fiercely for each other on the battle field. Maybe that's worth looking into..."

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

This is where I'm at. 

Don't separate yourself from the team after the fact.

That's where I'm at.

Anyway, that was then, Sunday is now 

4 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Great response, but if I was ever in that position, I'd say something like: "With each other? I haven't heard anything about that going on so far this season, but the ancient Greeks did encourage it amongst their soldiers so they'd fight more fiercely for each other on the battle field. Maybe that's worth looking into..."

Through tears.... "That's my Quarterback..... and my lover"

12 minutes ago, Rubanski said:

You're off your rocker man. Milt is owning it. He's also saying a bunch of players took it for granted and didn't prep properly for the game.  For some inexplicable reason you want Milt to come out and say:

"Even though I spent every minute of my life being the best football player I could, it's my fault grown @ss adults decided to smoke, not work out and party before the game. In fact, I should  have stayed up all night bar hoping to see if anyone was out late partying and told them 'Milt says get to bed'. "

We are never going to agree. So this will be my last point on it. 

If it was me, in his shoes, I am telling the problem guys (and they were well established) that if they don't keep it together one of us ain't gonna be here next year, because I'm not being around it.

Plus, I'll be tearing it up against you on my way to Cups and letting everyone know why I left. 

I wouldn't be fine with people not taking it as seriously as me.

But I am competitive