NFL thread

The Zipp

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Shoot, there I go shooting my mouth off before considering all possible worst case scenarios. CBS is horrid too. Boomer has always been a terrible analyst. I don't know what he has on the execs but it must be incredible.  Anyhow, CBS trots out the same level of irrelevant talking heads as Fox. They don't even understand the research that's being provided to them. Too much CTE.  

The NBA coverage is much better. Although, they could retire a few ex-players too.  

Also, since I'm ranting and crushed on the inside, free Romo! Let him call the plays before they run them. He was so good before he was neutered. 

Oh, and, the Manning broadcast is only good when it's just the two of them.  

And, sorry, the NFL should really just accept that the CFL got it best with the command centre and replay rules. 

I miss Romo doing that as well but was he neutered or just decided to stop? It isn't just old guys being out of it but the Mannings are as well. During one of their chats earlier this season they showed Mahomes making one of his crazy looking throws. Peyton told the audience something like this, Hey you kids that are quarterbacks. If you think that you can throw the way Mahomes does, you can't. So forget it as he's a freak". Eli just shook his head yes in agreement.

The way Mahomes throws is 110% teachable. The way coaching qbs are being taught these days, the types of throws Mahomes & others make will become a normal thing. Kids are being taught all over the place. My son Tyler does with his qbs in Seattle. He used to throw like Manning when he played & taught that method until two years ago when he switched. He believes strongly that the New Way (as he calls it) is more natural & easier on a young qb's throwing arm,. shoulders & elbows. He said had he learned to throw this way when he was young that he'd still be playing. 

What Manning said on ESPN was so wrong. He's not Bradshaw's age. He's in his fourties. So, it's just not the old guys that are irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Piggy 1 said:

2 great games today .  Chiefs are gonna be in tough against that Philly front.

Two? That first game sucked after Purdy got hurt. How can a 15 year veteran be so damned clueless as a qb??? Why is he even on an NFL roster??

7 hours ago, JCon said:

Shanahan hurts players. Damn is his offense effective but he puts his players in a position to get hurt on every play. 

----

I hate the Chiefs and I hate the Bengals. But, I've loved watching Mahommes and Burrows play. I like the combo of Burrows and Chase, which is why I'm cheering for them tonight. Either team should beat this Eagles team.  

Can you be more specific? I've watched that offense & I don't see the connection. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I miss Romo doing that as well but was he neutered or just decided to stop? It isn't just old guys being out of it but the Mannings are as well. During one of their chats earlier this season they showed Mahomes making one of his crazy looking throws. Peyton told the audience something like this, Hey you kids that are quarterbacks. If you think that you can throw the way Mahomes does, you can't. So forget it as he's a freak". Eli just shook his head yes in agreement.

The way Mahomes throws is 110% teachable. The way coaching qbs are being taught these days, the types of throws Mahomes & others make will become a normal thing. Kids are being taught all over the place. My son Tyler does with his qbs in Seattle. He used to throw like Manning when he played & taught that method until two years ago when he switched. He believes strongly that the New Way (as he calls it) is more natural & easier on a young qb's throwing arm,. shoulders & elbows. He said had he learned to throw this way when he was young that he'd still be playing. 

What Manning said on ESPN was so wrong. He's not Bradshaw's age. He's in his fourties. So, it's just not the old guys that are irrelevant. 

Two? That first game sucked after Purdy got hurt. How can a 15 year veteran be so damned clueless as a qb??? Why is he even on an NFL roster??

Sorry, I guess I didnt see much of the NFC Championship game. I dont think Purdy would have made much of a difference in the outcome ,except maybe made it a little closer. That Philly front are monsters.

Group 'linked to staunchly conservative causes' will run Super Bowl ads to 'redeem Jesus' brand'

From electric vehicles to cosmetics, and even the word “mummy,” there is a lot of rebranding going on.

Bowing to anger from right-wingers and conservative commentators, M&M’s decided to rebrand the decades-old multi-colored candies after outrage over its latest addition, purple, and its new “spokescandy,” also named “Purple.”

“Roughly a year ago, Mars Wrigley updated the look of its M&M’s characters, announcing an initiative to make the mascots fit a ‘more dynamic, progressive world.’ As part of these changes, the company introduced new designs of some of M&M’s characters and wrote weirdly elaborate backstories for others. Most notably, the company made the green M&M less ‘sexy’ by shortening her legs and replacing her high-heeled boots with sneakers,” Vox Media’s Polygon reported last week.

Fox News personality Tucker Carlson infamously has waged war on the “woke” spokescandies, declaring at one point, “M&M’s will not be satisfied until every last cartoon character is deeply unappealing and totally androgynous.”

Fast forward to now: Actress and comedian Maya Rudolph is their new spokesperson, although the “spokescandies,” perhaps after some additional rebranding, will be returning in a new ad on Super Bowl Sunday.

Which brings us to the rebranding of another icon: Jesus Christ.

He too will be part of the Super Bowl Sunday ads.er the next three years a $1 billion mostly-dark-money campaign – which reportedly will include funds from billionaire right wing anti-abortion and anti-LGBTQ funderDavid Green, the founder of Hobby Lobby – will promote Jesus in ads, including during the Super Bowl on February 12. Those two Super Bowl ads to “to redeem Jesus’ brand” will cost $20 million, Religion News Service reports.

The campaign to promote Jesus includes $100 million in ads declaring “He Gets Us,” from “the Servant Foundation, an Overland Park, Kansas, nonprofit that does business as The Signatry,” RNS adds.

The “donors backing the campaign have until recently remained anonymous — in early 2022, organizers only told Religion News Service that funding came from ‘like-minded families who desire to see the Jesus of the Bible represented in today’s culture with the same relevance and impact He had 2000 years ago.'”

But the full list of donors remains unknown.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

I'm guessing Brady thought teams were going to line up and throw money at him and he has found out that nobody wants the qb who played and was not very good this past season

His skills were eroding but he didn't have a great team around him last year. He needs, a very good OL, a productive running back, a possession receiver like Gronk when healthy & a deep threat downfield. Into the Fox broadcast booth. Tom will make sure he  never does another Super Bowl again which is too bad. 

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

I'm guessing Brady thought teams were going to line up and throw money at him and he has found out that nobody wants the qb who played and was not very good this past season

Or maybe he's got a 10 year 375 million dollar deal with fox waiting for him 

10 hours ago, bustamente said:

He had that coin ready last year yet choose to come back, guys like him need to be in the spot light for all the world to see.

Greg Olsen is pretty good up in the tv booth & keeps improving as Fox's #1 colour analyst this year with the departure of Aikman. Now, he'll be knocked out of the #1 position himself & replaced by Brady next season. I can see Olsen taking off from Fox when his contract's up as he's getting screwed. A well paid screw job nonetheless but something that could cost him $$$ down the road as an analyst. As far as Brady goes, he better be good or fans will mock him mercilessly on social media. Doing tv is an entirely different playing field than the gridiron. 

• 2 weeks later...