That ONE win.....that ONE loss

TrueBlue4ever

41 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yep. Some folks on here think that they hate the Riders because of Shivers and whatnot but the trauma of losing that game, the PTSD, the intense pain and humility, causes a hate that is on a different level.

When I am reminded of '72 that hate rises up from a place that is very dark. Nothing has ever erased that hate. I hate everything about that team. I hated Ron Lancaster and George Reed. I hated the officials for that holding call (or was it No Yards)? I hated Richardson for that dropped pass in the end zone. I hated the Riders for blowing out MLB Mickey Doyle's knee. Just so much hate.

Every time we beat that team I want to beat them again, and again, and again. Every time we lose to that team, it's '72 all over again. Speedflex knows exactly what I mean and out of all of you he may be the only one that truly understands.

Yeah, I know, it's just a football game. Just a dumb football game. But no game against Saskatchewan is just a game. It's personal with that team. The hate is real and it never leaves you. Never. 

If I had one football wish, it would be to play Saskatchewan every game and to beat them mercilessly every game. Every playoff game would be against them too and we would win all of them. The WSF would be against Saskatchewan, as would the WF, and finally the Grey cup. We would win every game every time and I'd still hate them.

The ultimate revenge would be to beat them by 1 point. The Rouge. 

The 07 loss is the worst to me because the Bombers lost that game.  Sask did very little to deserve to win it.  That's a game we should have won even with Dinwiddie.  There were a handful of guys on that team who were supremely talented and were inconsistent because they didn't put a lot of effort into preparation and another group who were total pros and had great talent.  That team fell apart the year after along those fractures.  

01 I felt like Calgary beat us even though the Bombers were heavy favorites.

Loss. 

'07 stings. Recency bias obviously but we had that game in the bag until Glenn broke his arm. I was living in Kingston at the time and did try to get to the game but had no one to go with. Just as well. 

'01 probably stings the most because I'm (stilllllllll!!!!!!!) disappointed in the team. That was ours. All they had to do was show up. Westwood sucked worse than he does on the radio that day and the team was gawd awful. They deserved to lose but I didn't deserve it as a fan. 

Win. 

1990. I was living in Saskatchewan. I was stuck at a theatre practice (for a school play), on  a Sunday night, and listened on the radio. I was elated but no one else cared. I did and that's all that mattered. 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

Every time we beat that team I want to beat them again, and again, and again. Every time we lose to that team, it's '72 all over again. Speedflex knows exactly what I mean and out of all of you he may be the only one that truly understands.

Yeah, I know, it's just a football game. Just a dumb football game. But no game against Saskatchewan is just a game. It's personal with that team. The hate is real and it never leaves you. Never. 

If I had one football wish, it would be to play Saskatchewan every game and to beat them mercilessly every game. Every playoff game would be against them too and we would win all of them. The WSF would be against Saskatchewan, as would the WF, and finally the Grey cup. We would win every game every time and I'd still hate them.

I’m just a GenX whippersnapper... but J5V, I do believe you’ve perfectly outlined the blessed afterlife in football heaven...

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

2011 I never expected to win...I didn't have a lot of hope for that one. 2007, as well, I believed we COULD win, but with Dinwiddie in for Glenn and making his first ever start...I didn't have a ton of hope. 2001 tho....that was real real bad. That one destroyed something inside of me that has never fully healed.

I had hope that Roberts would come out and dominate in  2007. Yet he just disappeared and was a non factor. I always wondered why. A couple of years ago Westwood let it slip out that Roberts had partied all night the night before. He didn't get back in till 5 am. Troy said he will never forgive him for it. 

Edited by the watcher

3 hours ago, the watcher said:

I had hope that Roberts would come out and dominate in  2007. Yet he just disappeared and was a non factor. I always wondered why. A couple of years ago Westwood let it slip out that Roberts had partied all night the night before. He didn't get back in till 5 am. Troy said he will never forgive him for it. 

Good thing Wide Lefty was clutch in that game and hit all his field goals. Oh, wait...

He sure likes to throw stones, even though they often miss the mark, too.

My apologies. I totally read that incorrectly... Thought it read 2001. (Here's why morning coffee is so important prior to posting)

Edited by blue_gold_84
case of the morning dumbs

Thing is tho...if Roberts came to play that game..Westwood may not have had to try those field goals, and also as Roberts went..so did the field opening up for the receivers...I was told that opposition players could smell the booze oozing outta him on the field and knew he was gonna be a non factor in hat game

Which didn't surprise me as many a night I sent him home when I bounced at Teasers over the course of a season well past closing either by cab or drive him personally...and many a time it was night before a game..great guy don't get me wrong and an unreal talent, but man what coulda been with a dedication to his craft..even a half arsed effort

I think Westwood actually was perfect in the 2007 game. In fact, except for one game in 2001 (we ALL know which one) he was very accurate in the playoffs. Fat lot of good that did though. The one time we needed him to come through he decides to have his worst game as a pro.

What is irritating is to hear Westwood say he knew Roberts was out all night. And I've heard Milt Stegall talk about never winning a ring and say "All I know is that I came prepared and was mentally and physically ready to have my best game on Grey Cup day. Won't speak for my teammates, and I saw some of them take a different attitude, but for my part I made sure I was able to perform at my best on Grey Cup sunday" (paraphrasing but that is as close to accurate as I recall).

So, as Speedflex asked, why couldn't these veteran teammates get Charlie in line and keep him in check on Grey Cup week?

07 sucked. The Grey Cup is obvious, so I'll go with Labour Day as I was at the stadium that day. The hooplah around the LDC was really great, and was a fun AF game to watch. We we're the better team the majority of the day and couldn't get a stop on D that last drive. Sounds familiar right?

As of this writing, and it may be recency bias, but, being @ McMahon for Sundays win over Calgary is my #1 as a Bomber fan. Hoping for one more McMahon win this year :)

Edited by White Out

8 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think Westwood actually was perfect in the 2007 game. In fact, except for one game in 2001 (we ALL know which one) he was very accurate in the playoffs. Fat lot of good that did though. The one time we needed him to come through he decides to have his worst game as a pro.

What is irritating is to hear Westwood say he knew Roberts was out all night. And I've heard Milt Stegall talk about never winning a ring and say "All I know is that I came prepared and was mentally and physically ready to have my best game on Grey Cup day. Won't speak for my teammates, and I saw some of them take a different attitude, but for my part I made sure I was able to perform at my best on Grey Cup sunday" (paraphrasing but that is as close to accurate as I recall).

So, as Speedflex asked, why couldn't these veteran teammates get Charlie in line and keep him in check on Grey Cup week?

Because Charlie Roberts was Mack Herron with a bit more brains and integrity. And there is no rehab for stupid.

Like many others here, the worst loss, for me, was the 1972 Western Final. I was 13 years old, in my second year of being a fan and attending games, and even though the Salisbury House Kids' Zone tickets had gone up from $1.00 to $2.00 in the playoffs, I was there.

I remember crying, I remember the Rider fans and cheerleaders, I think, walking past our section and swearing at us and calling us names that most 13-year-olds had never heard of at that point in our lives. That was the day I realized that beating the Riders was the most important thing in football.

The best win? The 1984 Western Final. I was getting married a month later, and when the Bombers beat the Lions to go to the Grey Cup, I felt like the combination of the Bombers in the Grey Cup, plus getting married, meant that I was finally an adult!

• 1 month later...

Thought I would resurrect this post in light of the win, and having had time to soak it in and get over the pure reactionary emotion of each game.

So with a new decade upon us and over a month of reflection on our amazing playoff run, I am wondering (a) if any of the 3 playoff wins this year have now become THAT ONE WIN (answer, very likely), and more curiously, (b) which game is THAT game?

Winning the WSF in Calgary the way we did felt the most like slaying the dragon and getting the revenge win (down at the half, we flip a switch and just light it up offensively while completely dominating defensively against the team who had dominated us all decade long - call back to the 1970's-80's vibe against the Eskies). This was the most unexpected win of the 3 in my mind, so does that make it more special than either of the other 2, because it gave us real hope?

The WF in Sask. of course is huge because of the rivalry, because of how tough is has been to win there on Labour Day (although for some reason it hasn't carried over to other games there), because it got us in to the Cup, and the last 3 minutes were so insane the game gets elevated into "instant classic" status. I was in the stands for that one (best road trip decision of my life), and being there in person certainly raises the bar of "best game ever" for me. But maybe their most poorly played game of the 3.

And then there is the Grey Cup itself, going in as underdogs to a dominant 15-3 team and laying waste to them. Funny that the blowout almost (ALMOST) seems to diminish the "best game ever" vibe because there was no roller coaster of emotions and then that explosion of joy when we grab it at the end. The outcome looking back was decided in the first half for sure. But it's the big dance, so that alone elevates its status. Just a methodical beat down. And I've talked to a few people about this game, and one thing that struck me was their feeling as the clock wore down. One feeling that I shared.

I was hosting a Grey Cup party, and after the called back Bailey TD which became a FG, I still felt that was the (anti-climactic) nail in the coffin, and my guests asked why I was being so quiet and not cheering madly as the clock ran out. I remarked that at this point, the weight of 29 years, and more so that simple number being pounded into our heads all the time left me more relieved than elated. A friend later said he had the same reaction, and said that he never realized how much of that losing streak he carried with him over that time and how much it wore him down, to the point that finally winning was more like the end of grieving instead of a celebration. All this to say that the Grey Cup win felt less dramatic and exhilarating to me (in the immediate aftermath) than either of the other 2, even if it was the most important of the wins.

So which of the 3 games ranks as your best Bomber win, given some time to digest it all?

The actual Grey Cup victory takes it for me - if I'm forced to choose, anyway. Underdogs against the league's crème de la crème... Windication for Harris, a defensive performance for the ages, and a mission accomplished. Pure and utter elation and a drought-vanquishing celebration.

In all honesty, though, all three games were just wildly entertaining in their own right, making up a playoff run the likes of which I've never seen. And all on the road, no less.

Indeed, it was a November to remember.

Edited by blue_gold_84
Champions!!

All 3 games were important for me. For different reasons as all the games told a different story. The Semi Final: Going into a Bomber wasteland called McMahon Stadium & beating the highly favoured Stamps in a playoff game there for the first time since 1965. First skeleton kicked out of the closet.

Defeating the Riders in their House in the Western Final to avenge the 1972 Western Final loss to that team & have the ball hit the crossbar  in the end zone on the last play of the game was as flukey as the Riders winning  in 1972 at Winnipeg Stadium with their last play wide FG attempt being kicked in & out of the end zone 3 times, only for the Bombers to be called for No Yards allowing Riders kicker jack Abendschan a second chance 15 yards closer to make the kick, for us to lose &leaving me to agonize over that game for 47 years. Second skeleton chucked out of the closet.

Then to dominate the Ti Cats the way we did unexpectedly so we could finally feel the joy of winning Lord Earl Grey's Cup for the first time in 29 years. Third & final skeleton tossed out. The Curse was finally expunged. All 3 hold as much importance for me. It was a magical run...

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2019-11-14 at 7:07 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

The 07 loss is the worst to me because the Bombers lost that game.  Sask did very little to deserve to win it.  That's a game we should have won even with Dinwiddie.  There were a handful of guys on that team who were supremely talented and were inconsistent because they didn't put a lot of effort into preparation and another group who were total pros and had great talent.  That team fell apart the year after along those fractures.  

01 I felt like Calgary beat us even though the Bombers were heavy favorites.

The fact KJ clearly played through a concussion in 2001 is pretty surreal in today's climate.

On 2020-01-02 at 12:00 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Thought I would resurrect this post in light of the win, and having had time to soak it in and get over the pure reactionary emotion of each game.

So with a new decade upon us and over a month of reflection on our amazing playoff run, I am wondering (a) if any of the 3 playoff wins this year have now become THAT ONE WIN (answer, very likely), and more curiously, (b) which game is THAT game?

Winning the WSF in Calgary the way we did felt the most like slaying the dragon and getting the revenge win (down at the half, we flip a switch and just light it up offensively while completely dominating defensively against the team who had dominated us all decade long - call back to the 1970's-80's vibe against the Eskies). This was the most unexpected win of the 3 in my mind, so does that make it more special than either of the other 2, because it gave us real hope?

The WF in Sask. of course is huge because of the rivalry, because of how tough is has been to win there on Labour Day (although for some reason it hasn't carried over to other games there), because it got us in to the Cup, and the last 3 minutes were so insane the game gets elevated into "instant classic" status. I was in the stands for that one (best road trip decision of my life), and being there in person certainly raises the bar of "best game ever" for me. But maybe their most poorly played game of the 3.

And then there is the Grey Cup itself, going in as underdogs to a dominant 15-3 team and laying waste to them. Funny that the blowout almost (ALMOST) seems to diminish the "best game ever" vibe because there was no roller coaster of emotions and then that explosion of joy when we grab it at the end. The outcome looking back was decided in the first half for sure. But it's the big dance, so that alone elevates its status. Just a methodical beat down. And I've talked to a few people about this game, and one thing that struck me was their feeling as the clock wore down. One feeling that I shared.

I was hosting a Grey Cup party, and after the called back Bailey TD which became a FG, I still felt that was the (anti-climactic) nail in the coffin, and my guests asked why I was being so quiet and not cheering madly as the clock ran out. I remarked that at this point, the weight of 29 years, and more so that simple number being pounded into our heads all the time left me more relieved than elated. A friend later said he had the same reaction, and said that he never realized how much of that losing streak he carried with him over that time and how much it wore him down, to the point that finally winning was more like the end of grieving instead of a celebration. All this to say that the Grey Cup win felt less dramatic and exhilarating to me (in the immediate aftermath) than either of the other 2, even if it was the most important of the wins.

So which of the 3 games ranks as your best Bomber win, given some time to digest it all?

When we won the WSF I kept thinking about that time Bo said "We're going to show the Bombers who they are". Well, we showed Calgary who they were that game, an inferior team. I agree that winning that game gave us the confidence to believe we could beat anyone.

For some reason, I knew we were going to win against the Riders. I agreed with many here that Sask had been lucky to find themselves hosting the West Final. As it turned out, this was the closest game of the three and it went right down to the last seconds but I wasn't surprised we won. We were the better team.

Beating Hamilton in such convincing fashion was a surprise. I was expecting a much closer game and even though we won handily the score actually flattered Hamilton. We were completely dominant. 

Like you, I was more relieved than ecstatic to win the Grey Cup. You're right, those 29 years weighed heavy on me and to feel that weight come off the shoulders was cathartic and emotional. I felt as though the team had won just for me, for me and all the long suffering fans. Seeing Wade Miller and Richie Hall in tears was touching. I had the water works going myself. 

The Grey Cup win was my best Bomber win. Nothing tops winning a championship and to do it against a 15-3 team was spectacular.

The entire 2019 playoffs were a revelation, albeit stressful. We beat the Stamps- great, but Bo-Levi was not good, then we beat the Riders on their turf, thanks in no small part to Fajardo hitting the goalpost with an errant pass, but that was so close a win that I was afraid what would happen against what had been a powerful TiCat team. And then the Grey Cup came. Although the Bombers were never in any danger of losing, I hard a a very hard time believing that they could be so dominant against a 15 & 3 team. I kept waiting for the 'Cats to rally and make a comeback but they just never got untracked. Gonna remember this for a long, long time.