That ONE win.....that ONE loss

TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

By no means memorable, two terrible teams playing in a practically meaningless game, but the comeback win against the BC Lions in 2010 will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was the first live Bomber game I ever attended with my girlfriend (now wife). We were hooked thereafter and bought 2011 season tickets the next year.
Old highlights if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj8fPebMdPI

I was at that game too.  I remember losing it with elation after Beasley picked off Printers to seal the win.

Most memorable  wins:

1988 grey cup.  Michael Gray goal line int.  

1990 grey cup.  Complete dismantling of the Eskimos

2002 west semi.  The bomber d shut down the Lions and a dumbass bomber fan ran onto the field to attack one of the BC lion players.

Most memorable losses:

2002 west final  The Esks were putting on a clinic , and the Bombers stormed back.   Arland Bruce could not make a catchable 3rd and 10 ball and the Esks escaped with a W.   The following week I was in Edmonton for the Grey Cup still distraught that the Bombers weren't there.   Had enormous fun pissing off the Esks fans and rubbing it in when MTL beat them.

2007 grey cup.    Sour taste in my mouth ever since.  How Kerry Joseph was MOP after that performance eludes me to this day.

Never seen a Grey Cup win, so the first thing that came to mind was the 2010 comeback game.

As for most memorable loss..2006 semi-final against Toronto. I was absolutely convinced we were going to the Grey Cup at home that year. Up by 10 in the fourth quarter, and Micheal Bishop takes over for Damon Allen and just starts hucking it into the air - and we just let it happen. Kelly Malveaux and Anthony Marlborough literally bounce off each other to allow a touchdown, god damnit.

Still livid at that game.

The 1987 Eastern Final was a goddamn nightmare.  We lapped the league that season and we laid a total egg at home in front of about 12,000 fans. What a terrible way to end the Tom Clements / Willard Reaves era. The CFL's semi-lucrative TV contract ended after that season and a ton of talent was cut from the league. That year put the whole league in a near-death spiral that it didn't really pull out of unti the Radically Canadian years.

The 2011 Grey Cup was a heartbreaker. Played on my birthday, the only Bomber Grey Cup game I've ever seen live.  Bombers hit the snooze button five times before making the game a bit interesting in garbage time ... then Odell Willis dropped a sure pick six and Andrew Harris put a fork in us on the following drive.

The recent regular season win against Calgary was kind of a big deal for me.  I'd written the Bombers off, they were down to their emergency QB, playing Calgary in a game that mattered ... a sure recipe for annihilation.  But then they gutted it out and better yet they repeated it two weeks later when it counted.  That Zass Strevelaros combo could become a Bomber legend in 2019.  So stoked for Sunday!

Compared to most on here I'm a relatively new football fan. I've never seen a Grey Cup win. But I've seen some good bomber teams and some bad bomber teams.

With that said, the two games that come to mind would be

Loss - 2007 Grey Cup.   For me there are 2 acceptable outcomes to a CFL season 1. The bombers win a Grey Cup or 2. The Riders don't win a Grey cup.  So by my criteria 2007 was a bad year.

Win 2006 against Edmonton - Stegall with the miracle touchdown for the win with Maciocia losing his mind running down the sidelines.

Best Win for me was 1990 Grey Cup. It was the first sporting event I followed and understood as a kid. I still have my copy of BOMBERS BLITZ on VHS and actually throw it on to pump me up before big games...

2007 GC was the worst I've blocked out most the details. I was drunk by kickoff, worried at half and crying into a bag of chips in a cab outside 7-11 shortly after the final whistle.

I have a copy of Bombers Blitz too. That tape is barely holding together after years of rewatching.  

My favourite win was the 1998 (not yet named) Banjo Bowl. There was such a feeling of emotion/relief being let loose by everyone in the stadium after finally getting a win. Fans rushed the field after the game and everyone was just so...happy. Troy Kopp was a god for a short time afterwards. 

The lost GCs during the 2000s hurt, but the loss that sticks out the most for me wast the 2012 Labour Day game. I was watching with three Riders fans and the trash talk went from fun back and forth, to crowing, to sympathetic, to silence. That sucked. I really hated the Bombers that day. 

Edited by BattleLevel

14 hours ago, J5V said:

Speedflex and I come from the same generation and I share the pain of that 1972 loss. We have discussed it many times. We had so many great players -- Don Jonas, Mack Herron, Jim Thorpe, Bob Larose, Mickey Doyle, Grady Cavness, etc. I was absolutely totally convinced we would win that game having built what seemed to be a big lead. The second half of that game was the most cruel, dismal, brutal loss to live through that I still cannot describe the depths of that pain. I have hated the Riders ever since. 

Winning Grey Cups is the best but nothing tastes as sweet as beating that team.

That rouge thing, kicking the ball in & out 3 times back & forth on that last play wide FG. I remember the crowd noise. It was the weirdest sound I ever heard. Ooohs & ahhs for about 10 seconds as the ball went in & out of the end zone. All 20,000 of us dying at the same time. Then Bombers called for No Yards, moving the ball 15 yards closer for a chip shot from the 20 yard line. Riders kick the winning points & run off the field screaming & laughing while we sat stunned.  **** THAT!

I had probably as difficult a time with 2011 GC as 2007 GC, simply because going into the game in 2007 we knew we had no QB, and in 2011 we had such an amazing year and just declined going into that game. I admit that team was a smokescreen, but that 2011 summer just very well may have been the best summer of my life. All November during the playoffs that year I would blast a crappy burnt CD I made that consisted of a mix of songs played during the games at CanadInns that year to get pumped. I think the loss jaded me because even though this 2016 - present era now is at least as exciting, I've never allowed myself to match that level of emotional investment for fear of getting hurt.

That said, the East Final "last" game at CanadInns where we stomped the Cats with Chris Garrett alone and Odell Willis ran around in -25 with no shirt to hoist the East trophy was probably my favourite game. What a terrific feeling. Went with a group of friends and family and drank ice cold beer to stay warm.

I would very much like that 'best game' memory to be replaced by November 24, 2019.

(That said, while we have not had enough time to process it yet, I think a lot of us will look back on this past Sunday's game with a lot of fondness. I mean, we slaughtered Bo Levi in his own stadium in a year where Calgary is hosting the Cup and no one picked us. That's huge, even from an historical perspective)

17 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

By no means memorable, two terrible teams playing in a practically meaningless game, but the comeback win against the BC Lions in 2010 will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was the first live Bomber game I ever attended with my girlfriend (now wife). We were hooked thereafter and bought 2011 season tickets the next year.
Old highlights if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj8fPebMdPI

That'd probably be my pick as well, that win has always stuck with me.

As for losses... beyond some of the good ones already posted I've always held on to a loss we had to Montreal in 2011 late in the season. I don't remember the exact details but I believe we had a 1st and goal from the 1. I remember watching the ball cross the line right in front of my eyes on one of the attempts in that sequence only for it to be ruled a goal line stand. Don't know why but that loss has always rubbed me the wrong way. Really felt like Montreal was getting some favourable treatment at the time.

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

Wins - 2001 East Final at home was great. 2011 East Final that was supposed to be the last game at the old barn was a great feeling too.

Losses - 2001 Grey Cup broke me. 2007 GC broke me again. 2011 GC numb to the pain didn't even feel that one. 

2011 I never expected to win...I didn't have a lot of hope for that one. 2007, as well, I believed we COULD win, but with Dinwiddie in for Glenn and making his first ever start...I didn't have a ton of hope. 2001 tho....that was real real bad. That one destroyed something inside of me that has never fully healed.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

2011 I never expected to win...I didn't have a lot of hope for that one. 2007, as well, I believed we COULD win, but with Dinwiddie in for Glenn and making his first ever start...I didn't have a ton of hope. 2001 tho....that was real real bad. That one destroyed something inside of me that has never fully healed.

That never should have happened. Where were the leaders in the locker room to shut the dumb malcontents with big mouths & even bigger egos like Juran Bolden down?

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Didn't have a lot of hope going into the game in 2007, but I was there in person and we were in it just enough to get my hopes up. Depressing as hell flight home. 

51 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That never should have happened. Where were the leaders in the locker room to shut the dumb malcontents with big mouths & even bigger egos like Juran Bolden down?

The downfall of that team started when Charlie Roberts walked out for 2 days in week 19 because he wasn't getting enough touches.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That rouge thing, kicking the ball in & out 3 times back & forth on that last play wide FG. I remember the crowd noise. It was the weirdest sound I ever heard. Ooohs & ahhs for about 10 seconds as the ball went in & out of the end zone. All 20,000 of us dying at the same time. Then Bombers called for No Yards, moving the ball 15 yards closer for a chip shot from the 20 yard line. Riders kick the winning points & run off the field screaming & laughing while we sat stunned.  **** THAT!

Yep. Some folks on here think that they hate the Riders because of Shivers and whatnot but the trauma of losing that game, the PTSD, the intense pain and humility, causes a hate that is on a different level.

When I am reminded of '72 that hate rises up from a place that is very dark. Nothing has ever erased that hate. I hate everything about that team. I hated Ron Lancaster and George Reed. I hated the officials for that holding call (or was it No Yards)? I hated Richardson for that dropped pass in the end zone. I hated the Riders for blowing out MLB Mickey Doyle's knee. Just so much hate.

Every time we beat that team I want to beat them again, and again, and again. Every time we lose to that team, it's '72 all over again. Speedflex knows exactly what I mean and out of all of you he may be the only one that truly understands.

Yeah, I know, it's just a football game. Just a dumb football game. But no game against Saskatchewan is just a game. It's personal with that team. The hate is real and it never leaves you. Never. 

If I had one football wish, it would be to play Saskatchewan every game and to beat them mercilessly every game. Every playoff game would be against them too and we would win all of them. The WSF would be against Saskatchewan, as would the WF, and finally the Grey cup. We would win every game every time and I'd still hate them.

6 hours ago, Colton said:

As for losses... beyond some of the good ones already posted I've always held on to a loss we had to Montreal in 2011 late in the season. I don't remember the exact details but I believe we had a 1st and goal from the 1. I remember watching the ball cross the line right in front of my eyes on one of the attempts in that sequence only for it to be ruled a goal line stand. Don't know why but that loss has always rubbed me the wrong way. Really felt like Montreal was getting some favourable treatment at the time.

Friday September 30, 2011, we were down by six (32-26) late in the 4th, and Carr managed to draw a pass interference penalty, bringing the drive down to the one. Offense had three cracks at it and couldn't punch it in. Questionable officiating aside, how do you not get a yard when the opposing D has to line up a yard away from the ball?

We did get our vengeance that year though, in a game later that year (Oct 22), we did manage to beat the Als later in the regular season, and they'd end up getting bounced in the playoffs by Hamilton.