That ONE win.....that ONE loss

TrueBlue4ever

So Speedflex posted this in the "WF Bombers @ Riders" thread:

This is my ultimate revenge game as a fan. Who else remembers the 1972 Western Final? Who the teams were? Where they finished in the standings? The horrible way the Bombers lost that game? For us old timers with lonnnnnnnnng memories, just  how glorious will it be if we beat the Riders in their home park? In front of their fans? And how good will it feel for us to break their hearts???

The teams are the same but the standings reversed. They're hosting instead of us. Pressure is on them to win in front of their own fans in their House in front of a big crowd.  I've waited 47 years for this game. Please Bombers, wash the stench of that loss in 1972 away finally. FINALLY!!!

This has been brewing in him for 47 years, this match is not just a playoff game, not just a game against our most hated rival, not just another chance to get to the Grey Cup and end the streak, this is REVENGE.

This got me to thinking - what one win in Bomber history have you each cherished more than any other, and what one loss has burned worse than any other?

What is the pinnacle moment, the signature game that you will carry with you forever? Is it just a great moment, a historic victory, or does it carry something even more profound? (think Donovan Bailey winning the 100M gold in Atlanta - glorious moment, but because of what went down in Seoul in 1988 with Ben Johnson, made it all the much more sweet. Not just that he won, but that the whole country found redemption) What factors raised the win to an even greater emotional high than normal?

Likewise, what loss stings more than any other, and more importantly, why? I know a bit about the 1972 loss, mainly the end. This was the first time we'd hosted the West final since 1962 (and amazingly, the 1972 game is the last time we have hosted the West Final at all!). For anyone unfamiliar with the result and more importantly the circumstances, here is the synopsis:

Had a good lead heading into the half I believe, and Sask. tied it up and went for a game winning FG. I'll let Wikipedia pick it up from here -

This game was especially notable for its final play. The game was tied and Saskatchewan attempted a last-second field goal to win, or at least score a single. The kick missed wide, and was recovered by Winnipeg in the end zone. As they were unable to run it out, they punted. The Saskatchewan player who fielded the punt attempted to score a single (winning the game) by punting it through the end zone again, but was unsuccessful, and the punt was fielded by Winnipeg, who punted it out again. The Saskatchewan returner was tackled, ending the play and presumably the game, but a Winnipeg penalty for no yards negated the play and gave Saskatchewan another chance. The second Saskatchewan field goal attempt, with no time on the clock, was successful.

So I'd love to hear from folks what one win and/or one loss have you never let go of?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I'll lead off saying the losses seem more memorable than the wins. Glory is fleeting, pain endures. And 1984 Grey Cup was glorious but I was too young to understand the 22 year drought and the agony of losing to the Eskimos for so many years leading up to that win, so it isn't quite as meaningful to me. I think the next Grey Cup win will have more impact because of this current dry spell. But if pressed I think the 1988 Grey Cup is likely at the top, given how it came about (the 1987 team was supposed to be there and crapped the bed at home in the East Final, in 1988 very few bothered to show up for the division semi against Hamilton because everyone figured we were going to lose in Toronto the next week, and the way the Grey Cup unfolded with us being heavy underdogs, with punting of all things keeping us in it, and "the Immaculate Interception" being that signature play from that signature game sticks with me forever. The Matt Dunigan 713 game and Milt's Commonwealth 100 yard last play miracle rank up there for pure spectacle, but this moment seemed bigger.

As for losses, a few jump out, like the 2007 Grey Cup (because Sask for the first time ever and a stupid broken arm that really killed our chances when we would have been favoured), the 1987 East Final (NOTHING went our way that day, we looked inept after being a machine on offence all year), and the 1994 East Final at home to Baltimore (14-12 loss in still the best football game I have ever watched live, where fumbles that weren't fumbles, non-fumbles that were, cross bars breaking up TD passes, a blown fake field goal, illegal shoe controversy, and every break going against us led to an agonizing last minute loss on a long field goal that grazed the cross bar), and 52-0 on Labour Day (the humiliating low point of the Mack era) but two rise above those.

One is of course the 2001 Grey Cup, since we fell so flat after being so much better than every other team that season, compounded by the fact that we lost to a team with a losing record that we let get into the playoffs in the last week by resting our starters. Then hearing about how arrogant the team had been all week and how they did not really take the opposition seriously, and all the partying and "ring sizing" they did before the game was infuriating. The final insult is that it had been 11 years without a Cup at that point, and knowing now that it would stretch to 29 and counting and this was such a missed opportunity, completely galling. The only thing missing is the "revenge" factor to put this at the top.

And so, surprisingly, the one loss that really irks me more than all others was the West semi in 1996 against the Eskimos. The end of the Cal Murphy era was the most humiliating end possible. 68-7. They went out of their way to pile up the score, and then hearing how they blatantly cheated with illegal shoes and got away with it when it was so obvious all game to everyone but the blind refs that they were using trickery was maddening. This is the one loss I want revenge for, because I feel we didn't just lose, we didn't just get embarrassed on a historic level, but that we lost that badly because were cheated out of it and they got away with it.

2001 Grey Cup - hands down. That team absolutely dominated the league that season and chose to take its final opponent lightly. I still remember the feeling sitting on my friend's couch, almost staring through the TV as I was overcome by disbelief and disappointment.

2007 is a distant second personally. I knew the team was in trouble when Glenn walked off the field in Toronto holding onto his arm. What's crazy is how the team went on to only lose by four measly points in the championship game. It was disappointing but nowhere near 2001 for me. Nothing comes close to that in my fandom for the WFC.

Worst Loss: 1972 Western Final. Nothing comes close for me. The 2001 Grey Cup loss was bad  but I was angry at the Bombers for that loss as they acted like entitled brats all week at the Grey Cup expecting the Stamps to not even show up. Worst week of preparation by a head coach & his staff.  They had lost that game by Thursday.

Best Win: 1984 Grey Cup win. The others that came after were also great but that 84 win was special. Now, if we win this year, I may have to update that only because the drought has been longer. 

Ok the 2007 GC loss is the easy pick for sure but the 2009 Banjo Bowl was the absolute low point for me. Rider fans went from obnoxious to patronizing to pitying us and trying to cheer us up. It was as revolting a game as I remember in all my years as a Bomber fan. The HATE grew strong in me that day.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I'll lead off saying the losses seem more memorable than the wins. Glory is fleeting, pain endures. And 1984 Grey Cup was glorious but I was too young to understand the 22 year drought and the agony of losing to the Eskimos for so many years leading up to that win, so it isn't quite as meaningful to me. I think the next Grey Cup win will have more impact because of this current dry spell. But if pressed I think the 1988 Grey Cup is likely at the top, given how it came about (the 1987 team was supposed to be there and crapped the bed at home in the East Final, in 1988 very few bothered to show up for the division semi against Hamilton because everyone figured we were going to lose in Toronto the next week, and the way the Grey Cup unfolded with us being heavy underdogs, with punting of all things keeping us in it, and "the Immaculate Interception" being that signature play from that signature game sticks with me forever. The Matt Dunigan 713 game and Milt's Commonwealth 100 yard last play miracle rank up there for pure spectacle, but this moment seemed bigger.

As for losses, a few jump out, like the 2007 Grey Cup (because Sask for the first time ever and a stupid broken arm that really killed our chances when we would have been favoured), the 1987 East Final (NOTHING went our way that day, we looked inept after being a machine on offence all year), and the 1994 East Final at home to Baltimore (14-12 loss in still the best football game I have ever watched live, where fumbles that weren't fumbles, non-fumbles that were, cross bars breaking up TD passes, a blown fake field goal, illegal shoe controversy, and every break going against us led to an agonizing last minute loss on a long field goal that grazed the cross bar), and 52-0 on Labour Day (the humiliating low point of the Mack era) but two rise above those.

One is of course the 2001 Grey Cup, since we fell so flat after being so much better than every other team that season, compounded by the fact that we lost to a team with a losing record that we let get into the playoffs in the last week by resting our starters. Then hearing about how arrogant the team had been all week and how they did not really take the opposition seriously, and all the partying and "ring sizing" they did before the game was infuriating. The final insult is that it had been 11 years without a Cup at that point, and knowing now that it would stretch to 29 and counting and this was such a missed opportunity, completely galling. The only thing missing is the "revenge" factor to put this at the top.

And so, surprisingly, the one loss that really irks me more than all others was the West semi in 1996 against the Eskimos. The end of the Cal Murphy era was the most humiliating end possible. 68-7. They went out of their way to pile up the score, and then hearing how they blatantly cheated with illegal shoes and got away with it when it was so obvious all game to everyone but the blind refs that they were using trickery was maddening. This is the one loss I want revenge for, because I feel we didn't just lose, we didn't just get embarrassed on a historic level, but that we lost that badly because were cheated out of it and they got away with it.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2001 Grey Cup.......worst loss for me, I think. Few times have I ever been that angry/upset in my life. I was f***ing FIRED. UP. going into that game....and the letdown was real.

2019 West Semi.......best win, so far, for me. 

4 minutes ago, Stretch said:

I will say this...when the Bombers next win the Grey Cup I will do the following (in order):

1) Weep like a small child

2) Flip something over (garbage can, table, small car)

3) Go missing for 24 hours

Careful now, you can't just go and turn over random cars on a whim, fuelled by nothing but emotion. You want to warm up and train for that kind of thing, otherwise you might pull an oblique muscle or something.

Best Win: 1984 West Final - That was the huge hurdle to get over to end that 22 year drought. I will never forget that game.

Worst Loss: 1982 West Final - That was the huge hurdle we didn't get over. We had it (Reggie Pearson Int.) and then we lost it (John Helton late hit on Moon). 

Edited by Wershington

For losses.

I'd say the 2007 GC, just because I had just started a job where there were Riders fans and I kinda mouthed off a bit first. Plus it seemed to be a game that we could have won (Sask played shitty).

2011 as well as KBF and I were at that one. Would have been nice to go to a winning game.

Best win is Nov 24th, 2019 :)

The 1984 Grey Cup was magical, but I think the most memorable win for me was the 1984 western semi-final. The Bombers lost in Vancouver the week before to finish second to the Lions. I was there for the semi-final and the Bombers slaughtered Edmonton. The last few minutes of the game the crowd was chanting “B.C. sucks” and “we want B.C.”, and even though the Bombers lost the week before it seemed like destiny that they would beat the Lions the next week and go on to the cup.

2001 Grey Cup - the less said, the better.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

This has been brewing in him for 47 years, this match is not just a playoff game, not just a game against our most hated rival, not just another chance to get to the Grey Cup and end the streak, this is REVENGE.

Ha ha this is how I always picture Speedflex when he starts ranting about 1972...

Image result for revenge gif ken fish called wanda

And hopefully the result on Sunday for the Riders:

Image result for revenge gif ken fish called wanda

1 hour ago, tacklewasher said:

For losses.

I'd say the 2007 GC, just because I had just started a job where there were Riders fans and I kinda mouthed off a bit first. Plus it seemed to be a game that we could have won (Sask played shitty).

2011 as well as KBF and I were at that one. Would have been nice to go to a winning game.

Best win is Nov 24th, 2019 :)

I was at the 2011 and 2007 games and 2007 was much worse.

Back then the Riders were still loveable losers and 80 percent of the Skydome was green. 

It would be great to see the Bombers in a Grey Cup with most of the crowd on their side.

6 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I was at the 2011 and 2007 games and 2007 was much worse.

Back then the Riders were still loveable losers and 80 percent of the Skydome was green. 

It would be great to see the Bombers in a Grey Cup with most of the crowd on their side.

This year would be dependent on who they play. If it's the Esks, the place will be pretty green.....if it's Hamilton, then the people there will be cheering for Winnipeg for the most part. There's a lot of Calgary people that want Winnipeg to win a GC...

7 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Back then the Riders were still loveable losers and 80 percent of the Skydome was green

Nah man it was around 03 they became insufferable. Shivers infected the team and fanbase and the fans have been **** heads like that old prick ever since.

34 minutes ago, bb.king said:

The 1984 Grey Cup was magical, but I think the most memorable win for me was the 1984 western semi-final. The Bombers lost in Vancouver the week before to finish second to the Lions. I was there for the semi-final and the Bombers slaughtered Edmonton. The last few minutes of the game the crowd was chanting “B.C. sucks” and “we want B.C.”, and even though the Bombers lost the week before it seemed like destiny that they would beat the Lions the next week and go on to the cup.

2001 Grey Cup - the less said, the better.

what made 1984 magical too was the revenge factor against Dieter.  We love him now of course, but back then we were still bruised by his comments about Winnipeg.  It was icing on the cake to win the Cup and to do it while wiping the floor with him and the rest of the Tabbies.   

Speedflex and I come from the same generation and I share the pain of that 1972 loss. We have discussed it many times. We had so many great players -- Don Jonas, Mack Herron, Jim Thorpe, Bob Larose, Mickey Doyle, Grady Cavness, etc. I was absolutely totally convinced we would win that game having built what seemed to be a big lead. The second half of that game was the most cruel, dismal, brutal loss to live through that I still cannot describe the depths of that pain. I have hated the Riders ever since. 

Winning Grey Cups is the best but nothing tastes as sweet as beating that team.

By no means memorable, two terrible teams playing in a practically meaningless game, but the comeback win against the BC Lions in 2010 will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was the first live Bomber game I ever attended with my girlfriend (now wife). We were hooked thereafter and bought 2011 season tickets the next year.
Old highlights if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj8fPebMdPI

1 hour ago, Wershington said:

Best Win: 1984 West Final - That was the huge hurdle to get over to end that 22 year drought. I will never forget that game.

Worst Loss: 1982 West Final - That was the huge hurdle we didn't get over. We had it (Reggie Pearson Int.) and then we lost it (John Helton late hit on Moon). 

Earlier, on another thread we discussed fan reactions & I posted a video of a Vikings fans smashing a table. I said I used to be that fan & I never wanted to go to that place again. Well, that was the game. My mother invited me over to watch the game with her & my dad & have supper later. I said s ure so I came over. Well, it was a close game. Things went back & forth, very tense. With only a couple of minutes left we intercept Moon & it looked like the game was over. Then for some inexplicable reason the ref throws a flag & calls John Helton for RTP.  moon had rolled tohis right to avoid the rush with Helton in hot pursuit. Near the sidelines Moon threw & the ball was picked off.  Helton pushed his arm & Moon stumbled & fell. But it was one of these one, two, three, four & fell down out of bounds. He PUSHED him!!! And the ref threw the flag. I lost it. Started cursing & swearing. Then the esks run a few plays & Dave Cutler kicked a FG to win. The officials cost us the game & our entire season!! The thought of that tipped me over emotionally!! I started cursing & swearing, ranting & raving. I remember I threw something across the room but it didn't break. My parents got pissed off.  I argued & had a shouting match with them. This went on for about 10 minutes.  Anyway, I embarrassed myself & after stewing for about an hour I sheepishly apologized. I vowed I'd never do that again & so far I haven't. Thirty one years of marriage & I haven't lost it like that since. Gopd things as parents will always forgive but a wife may not. Lesson learned.