Don Cherry fired from HNIC

GOLD MEMBER

I can't speak for everyone but it's pretty sad that a 64 year old would not know what black face is ,  yet 8 year old me in the 1980's could figure it out watching classic Looney Toons cartoons. 

Ted Danson did it 26 years ago and it was offensive back then... so that only further proves the point that it wasn't looked upon differently even back then.  

Next thing you'll tell me is that you just learned that black licorice isn't still referred to it's old timey name.....  

9 hours ago, In Motion said:

Fact is 20 years ago, very few Canadians knew the origins of blackface. Heck, I doubt if most did until a few months ago. That's the first time I ever heard about how it began as a mockery in Hollywood.  Only Canadians who studied drama or black history in the USA knew.  As far as Cherry, I liked watching him, but his comments were definitely racist though he probably didnt even realize they were.  For those who still don't know the origins of blackface:  https://qz.com/1544324/cork-shoe-polish-and-the-history-of-blackface/     Did Trudeau as a younger man know? I have no idea.

You think a 29 year old drama teacher son of a PM didn’t know blackface was bad?  And even if he was that ignorant that he *should* have known it was bad?

im neither American or a drama teacher and I knew it was bad 20 years ago.  In fact I knew it was bad in the early 80’s because  a prime time sitcom did an episode about it.  In the 80’s. 

You can debate whether JT should be disqualified from being PM for wearing blackface but you can’t really debate whether it was wrong to do so.  

and it also has nothing to do with don cherry.   Both are bad.  The difference is a private company employed Don whereas JT is employed by the people.  Had the blackface scandal been one of JT’s MP’s he’s had  likely turfed them. 

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I can't speak for everyone but it's pretty sad that a 64 year old would not know what black face is ,  yet 8 year old me in the 1980's could figure it out watching classic Looney Toons cartoons. 

Ted Danson did it 26 years ago and it was offensive back then... so that only further proves the point that it wasn't looked upon differently even back then.  

Next thing you'll tell me is that you just learned that black licorice isn't still referred to it's old timey name.....  

That’s a good point about Ted Danson. That was big big news and he really only got through it because his then-gf Whoopie Goldberg admitted it was her idea.  

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

You are being very disrespectful equating a lack of knowledge of  popular American culture  (TV shows, cartoons, Rap music, etc)  with racism.  You are showing your own ignorance of cultures and a demographic outside your own world...  immigrants, rural folks, Mennonites for example.  You sound like a white, privileged city slicker who thinks he knows everything!  If everyone in Canada knew the origins of blackface, why the heck were they publishing all those articles about the meaning of it after the Trudeau photos came out??  

Edited by In Motion

15 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That’s a good point about Ted Danson. That was big big news and he really only got through it because his then-gf Whoopie Goldberg admitted it was her idea.  

Well Whoopie for you!  Not all of us follow movie and TV stars.  Big news where? In the tabloids?  Do you think people in rural areas had all those American channels back then?  Did it make the CBC?  

29 minutes ago, In Motion said:

Possibly.  You all seem to learn a lot from sit coms, and here I thought they were a total waste of time.

I guess some folks live under a rock?    I learned much more after getting the internet  ,  but come on even 8 year old me had a clue that painting someones face black was not in good taste.  I didn't need  a sitcom to educate myself that I shouldn't be mocking someone else based on their physical appearance. 

28 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I guess some folks live under a rock?    I learned much more after getting the internet  ,  but come on even 8 year old me had a clue that painting someones face black was not in good taste.  I didn't need  a sitcom to educate myself that I shouldn't be mocking someone else based on their physical appearance. 

I certainly knew blackface was wrong when I saw it.  I honestly had not seen anyone, nor any picture of blackface until the Trudeau picture. Call it living under a rock and call me a moron if you wish, but don't call me a racist.  I welcome you to my FB page so that you can see all of my posts which are pro-immigration,  pro-LGBTQ,  and anti- racist, anti-Trump.  I was wearing a badge in university which said  NO TO RACISM well before you were even born Brandon.  PM me, and you can  do a Friend Request,  and I will accept you temporarily so you can check out my posts.  

Edited by In Motion

7 hours ago, In Motion said:

Well Whoopie for you!  Not all of us follow movie and TV stars.  Big news where? In the tabloids?  Do you think people in rural areas had all those American channels back then?  Did it make the CBC?  

Just because you somehow have never known blackface is wrong doesn't mean it isn't common knowledge to the vast majority of people. 

6 hours ago, In Motion said:

I certainly knew blackface was wrong when I saw it.  I honestly had not seen anyone, nor any picture of blackface until the Trudeau picture. Call it living under a rock and call me a moron if you wish, but don't call me a racist.  I welcome you to my FB page so that you can see all of my posts which are pro-immigration,  pro-LGBTQ,  and anti- racist, anti-Trump.  I was wearing a badge in university which said  NO TO RACISM well before you were even born Brandon.  PM me, and you can  do a Friend Request,  and I will accept you temporarily so you can check out my posts.  

So you knew it was wrong when you saw it but you're excusing JT as not knowing...?   He didn't live under a rock, by the way.

29 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

When I was a kid, a friend's dad wore blackface and dressed as a black woman for Halloween. He said he was a "black ****". That was messed up...

I've seen a few costumes over the years of guys painted up in black and dressed as Mr T.      

7 hours ago, In Motion said:

I didn't say moron and didn't insinuate that you are a racist.    

My main point was that most people could figure it out that it's in bad taste to black face and you would think Trudeau who while growing up was under the public's eye (for the most part) would of thought twice before doing that.   A serious lack of common sense on his part.  

On 2019-11-19 at 7:42 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

So you knew it was wrong when you saw it but you're excusing JT as not knowing...?   He didn't live under a rock, by the way.

Where did I excuse JT?  I said I have no idea if he knew what it meant.  Him growing up in a big city and very cultured, he might well have.  I ran it by my 100 FB friends, and it sounded like very few had known the origins of it and others had  never seen it before.  Btw, I voted Conservative in the federal election and Liberal in the provincial . Usually I vote NDP  actually, but this year, I didn;t think they had a chance, and provincially I wanted to encourage my local  candidate (immigrant from Africa) and a 3rd party. I don't like JT!

Edited by In Motion

2 minutes ago, In Motion said:

Where did I excuse JT?  I said I have no idea if he knew what it meant.  Him growing up in a big city and very cultured, he might well have.  I ran it by my 100 FB friends, and it sounded like very few had known the origins of it and others had  never seen it before.  Btw, I voted Conservative in the federal election and Liberal in the provincial . Usually I vote NDP  actually, but this year, I didn;t have a chance, and provincially I wanted to encourage my local  candidate (immigrant from Africa) and a 3rd party. I don't like JT!

The point is, it was common knowledge at the time that blackface was offensive. 

I think some of you who grew up as white boys in a large city in a large school, and who were in touch with popular culture all your lives have no understanding of people who are older and grew up without English as their first language, no TV,  flush toilets,  no warm water (until later), no gym in their schools, nearest neighbours  10 miles away, and rarely saw a magazine or newspaper. I didn't see a black person until I was 9 yrs old when a black teacher came to our isolated community with his blonde wife and blonde daughter.  They were immediately accepted because we were a community of immigrants who had been persecuted, called displaced persons,  given the worst land in the province, etc. 

Once I saw a picture in Life magazine of  a fountain and a washroom marked Whites and another said Negroes. I asked my Mom why people have to drink from different fountains and go to different washrooms, and she said  They don't know any better in the States.    

It's not your fault you make quick judgments about such Canadians as my nephews are white privileged city boys too who can't imagine such a life and sometimes just can't help laughing when they hear how my parents and I grew up.  

Along the line, even in university in the early 70's, I missed blackface.  Sorry!

Edited by In Motion

11 minutes ago, In Motion said:

I think some of you who grew up as white boys in a large city in a large school, and who were in touch with popular culture all your lives have no understanding of people who are older and grew up without English as their first language, no TV,  flush toilets,  no warm water (until later), no gym in their schools, nearest neighbours  10 miles away, and rarely saw a magazine or newspaper. I didn't see a black person until I was 9 yrs old when a black teacher came to our isolated community with his blonde wife and blonde daughter.  They were immediately accepted because we were a community of immigrants who had been persecuted, called displaced persons,  given the worst land in the province, etc. 

Once I saw a picture in Life magazine of  a fountain and a washroom marked Whites and another said Negroes. I asked my Mom why people have to drink from different fountains and go to different washrooms, and she said  They don't know any better in the States.    

It's not your fault you make quick judgments about such Canadians as my nephews are white privileged city boys too who can't imagine such a life and laugh when they hear how my parents and I grew up.  

Along the line, even in university in the early 70's, I missed blackface.  Sorry!

This isn't about you.  You're the one who is projecting your own experiences, which you acknowledge are not the majority, to minimize blackface.  I find your experiences interesting as part of the larger discussion but JT was not a small town kid who never saw minorities.  He was a 29 year old teacher, well  versed in drama (where he'd know the history of blackface), son of a PM, very well educated.  There was no excuse then, is no excuse now.

And has nothing to do with Don Cherry anyway.  I know some Cons are mad that it seems JT got away with something Cherry didn't.  The difference is, Cherry had a boss who decided to fire him (Rogers) and JT had a boss who didn't (voters). 

I was at a Hallowe'en party back in the mid to late 80's at a friend's house in Winnipeg before we moved to Calgary. Two guys show up. One is all in blackface from head to toe with white makeup on his face with a collar & chain around his neck in a beige lion tamer or British explorer outfit with a hat, mask, a fake whip & white gloves. Kimchi is holding the chain faking Kamala is his slave. The guy playing Kamalal in blackface is fat & he keeps slapping his belly & kind of dancing but not talking. Just kind of singing & making funny high pitched squealing noises. Both guys were Impersonating WWE wrestlers Kamala "The Ugandan Giant" & his trainer Kimchi. It was funny at the time & they both stayed in character while they were at the party which made it even more funnier but they wouldn't dress like that today. They'd be labeled as racists. 

Image result for kamala and kimchi

Edited by SpeedFlex27