QB

jammer

no I said is he gonna run...or pull up and throw...thats the whole point of the scheme...they start to cheat on the run cause you show it all the time...and bam....which makes me think part of last weks game is to set up Sask for this sunday...thinking all he is gonna do is run...i bet ya the first extended set of plays when he is in sunday that they will do exactly like the did to the Stamps and when the Riders crash down...and they will...we will be dumping it off or going over top....book it...

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

no I said is he gonna run...or pull up and throw...thats the whole point of the scheme...they start to cheat on the run cause you show it all the time...and bam....which makes me think part of last weks game is to set up Sask for this sunday...thinking all he is gonna do is run...i bet ya the first extended set of plays when he is in sunday that they will do exactly like the did to the Stamps and when the Riders crash down...and they will...we will be dumping it off or going over top....book it...

I agree that this scheme is totally set up for this week, given how he NEVER showed he was going to throw last week. Simplest way to deal with a "run first" QB (which Streveler really started to become more and more as he progressed as a starter - Hamilton and Sask in their 3rd game against us figured this out, Montreal a little bit) is to spy the QB with the MLB and just ignore everything else. If the RB gets the ball, it is the job of the rest of the line to stop him, MLB keeps spying. So the way to beat that is more option tosses or the late throw. At this point I think very few expect to see a pass from Streveler (and the majority expect a QB keeper rather than a hand-off) when he enters the game. Will be fascinating to see what LaPo has devised to utilize both of his QB's strengths and weaknesses.

On 2019-11-11 at 12:15 PM, Mr Dee said:

While you guys are at it, why don’t you pick out all the missed opportunities that our opposition missed out on that would have thrashed our beloved Bombers? 
Or is that just football? 
Applicable to both teams...

Because that is not the topic

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I agree that this scheme is totally set up for this week, given how he NEVER showed he was going to throw last week. Simplest way to deal with a "run first" QB (which Streveler really started to become more and more as he progressed as a starter - Hamilton and Sask in their 3rd game against us figured this out, Montreal a little bit) is to spy the QB with the MLB and just ignore everything else. If the RB gets the ball, it is the job of the rest of the line to stop him, MLB keeps spying. So the way to beat that is more option tosses or the late throw. At this point I think very few expect to see a pass from Streveler (and the majority expect a QB keeper rather than a hand-off) when he enters the game. Will be fascinating to see what LaPo has devised to utilize both of his QB's strengths and weaknesses.

Spy works if the spy can turn the QB back to the middle and tackles are made.  Streveler has been running past and through people to the point where everyone knows what is coming and is prepared for it and he still busts off a 30 yard gain.  Good luck.  Sask has especially struggled.  Really what killed our O vs them was trying to be too cute like you're talking about.  They've never matched up to Streveler and Harris mano a mano.  Lapolice doesn't need to overthink this.

15 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Taking the MLBer out of the run game is not the other team figuring it out. It is desperation. That's the ability Strev brings to the table.

16 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I don't see that happening. CFL rosters are too small to mess around with a gimmick system like that. When you have to play starters on your special teams, you aren't going to use up a position playing a 3rd QB in a non-QB role. Why have a QB who does nothing but run when you can have an actual running back? If a QB can throw well enough, then make him a QB. If he can't, you don't want him on the team instead of an Augustine or Oilviera.

Lining up Strev in a HB role would not be a waste of a roster spot whatsoever. It would be a waste if he couldn't run the ball, but we all know he is capable of a 1000 yard rushing season. On 2nd and short having the QB, Streveler, and Harris all in the backfield would give defences fits. There is just no way to game plan your defences for that. Easily worth going with only 4 receivers when that package is in.

Edited by gcn11

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Spy works if the spy can turn the QB back to the middle and tackles are made.  Streveler has been running past and through people to the point where everyone knows what is coming and is prepared for it and he still busts off a 30 yard gain.  Good luck.  Sask has especially struggled.  Really what killed our O vs them was trying to be too cute like you're talking about.  They've never matched up to Streveler and Harris mano a mano.  Lapolice doesn't need to overthink this.

honestly our team is tough enough to just straight up beat the guys they are lined up against. Especially Saskatchewan. To me that's a phony tough team that can get pushed around by our hard hat boys up front. 

You can't line Streveler up in the HB spot unless you remove the other QB. It's a penalty.

Article 4 — Designated Quarterback

Prior to the game, a team is required to designate three players who shall be permitted to alternate for each other during the game at the Quarterback position exclusively. Not more than one such player may be in the game at any time and none of the three can enter the game as a member of Team B.

PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option.

NOTE: For the purposes of this Article 4, the duties of the Quarterback position may include punting, place kicking and kicking off. If a team designates three Quarterbacks for a game, the player designated as the third Quarterback shall not be eligible for kicking duties.

NOTE: A team is required to have one designated quarterback or kicker on the field for each of its offensive plays.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You can't line Streveler up in the HB spot unless you remove the other QB. It's a penalty.

Article 4 — Designated Quarterback

Prior to the game, a team is required to designate three players who shall be permitted to alternate for each other during the game at the Quarterback position exclusively. Not more than one such player may be in the game at any time and none of the three can enter the game as a member of Team B.

PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option.

NOTE: For the purposes of this Article 4, the duties of the Quarterback position may include punting, place kicking and kicking off. If a team designates three Quarterbacks for a game, the player designated as the third Quarterback shall not be eligible for kicking duties.

NOTE: A team is required to have one designated quarterback or kicker on the field for each of its offensive plays.

Thought the discussion was about next year, with 2 QB's (dumb change that needs to be tossed out the window).

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Dumb change indeed, but all they'll do is change the three to a two. Still won't be able to use Streveler as a HB.

list him as a HB next year, and don't recall if you have to designate your emergency QB before hand...pretty sure you don't but he could be your defacto "emergency" QB...Scout and draft and use free agency to allow you to use a Canadian as an extra LB or DB you normally DI  for and and just roster him as a normal import

Then he can be on filed anywhere..anytime with the QB still on the field..I think that could be a lethal opportunity...never happen mind you, but if it did.....

2 hours ago, Booch said:

list him as a HB next year, and don't recall if you have to designate your emergency QB before hand...pretty sure you don't but he could be your defacto "emergency" QB...Scout and draft and use free agency to allow you to use a Canadian as an extra LB or DB you normally DI  for and and just roster him as a normal import

Then he can be on filed anywhere..anytime with the QB still on the field..I think that could be a lethal opportunity...never happen mind you, but if it did.....

Streveler has already been designated as a QB. I don't think you're allowed to change a players designation from QB to anything else.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Could change it any week when they list the roster.  Would be up to the league to step in if they thought it was flouting the rule.

Could possibly be correct...I know for certain in game once roster is declared its finite....game to game you could be right...Imagine the knashing of teeth and whining on Riderfans if for the game we had Strev declared a RB..hahahaha....be priceless