QB

jammer

51 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Because it's the god damned truth no matter how much you wish it weren't.

It might depend on if we need to come from behind or not. Nichols is good but what he was not good at is bringing us back from behind to win games. Strevs and Zach have both shown an ability to do that so if we are behind and need to come back to win I'd take either Strevs or Zach over Nichols every time.

17 minutes ago, J5V said:

It might depend on if we need to come from behind or not. Nichols is good but what he was not good at is bringing us back from behind to win games. Strevs and Zach have both shown an ability to do that so if we are behind and need to come back to win I'd take either Strevs or Zach over Nichols every time.

Zach yes, but not strev. 

7 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

yeah, you got the point I was making... and yes, I agree with your last statment as well... Streveler, or Collaros would have won just as many of those games... we're on the same page now...

No, we’re not on the same page. My last sentence was not a statement.

Our QBs were Streveler and McGuire. There was no Collaros. I’m not so sure they could have pulled off the same record. 

You’re not giving credit where credit Is due. Nichols was the QB for those games, and won them. I’m not a big Nichols fan but he did perform/execute to help those weaker teams post those records.     

That’s my statement.

29 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

No, we’re not on the same page. My last sentence was not a statement.

Our QBs were Streveler and McGuire. There was no Collaros. I’m not so sure they could have pulled off the same record. 

You’re not giving credit where credit Is due. Nichols was the QB for those games, and won them. I’m not a big Nichols fan but he did perform/execute to help those weaker teams post those records.     

That’s my statement.

I'm not a Nichols hater either... sure, he contributed, just like every other player does/did... there was nothing exceptional about his play, if we're being honest... during that stretch the defense was on fire, probably because those were bad teams as well but, they didn't give a TD for over 8 quarters or something like that...

plus, in game 3 against Ottawa, Streveler play for probably over half of that game... threw for a TD and rushed for another... plus head beat Edmonton in the first game of relief duty... beat SSK... 

but you have to admit, the first half of the schedule was wayyyyyy easier than the second half... weaker teams, more home games, defense showing up regularly, meeting up with QBs that were either new to the team or freshly crowned as a replacement, etc...

but it boils down to a matter of opinion, I guess... against those same teams I feel comfortable saying Streveler could have... now McGuire... I don't know, we've not seen enough of him to form an opinion... but how often is a QB3 ever called in for duty in a game?  but to suggest that Nichols did something in those games that is able to be duplicated by another QB is giving him too much credit...

Nichols is a good QB..cerebral and efficient but not other wordly. On a good team with a nice compliment of weapons he is excellent and a guy who will win you more than you lose, but he is what he is...won't become anything more now and isn't a guy who will consistently out a team on his back and carry/will/inspire them to win by himself. He may make the odd spectacular play but it will be rare and it's not in his DNA

Strev is a different beast at this time...smart and young/inexperienced and learning the game...He is fire and determination and a outright beast who can..and has taken a game in his hands and just powered his way to succeed at any cost, its more so one dimensional to this point, but is leaps and bounds better than when he first got here...he can and has done he spectacular and sticking with him over the longterm will do it over and over and he WILL start doing it in the air...for all the detractors out there he is not just a runner....he's just been more of a runner while here than a passer, and thats due to his limited experience as a starting qb at any level.

The special thing with Strev is the team already has his respect and see's his commitment to the team and what he will do...and they will go through a wall for him, on both sides of the ball because they see him doing it on every play..and that is huge..he has that unique ability to raise the level of play of everyone..defense included and players have already said as much. 

A lot of QB questions to be answered for the Bombers and other teams in the off season. So many factors to consider, a lot of moving parts. For now, I'm going to enjoy the playoff ride. We have a real chance to make it to the Grey Cup. I think Streveler is back in 2020 for sure. Not sure if he's ready or will develop into a top tier CFL starter, but, he brings so much to the team you have to keep him around. 

Interesting article in The Athletic about evaluating young QB's. Not a perfect science obviously, but three good questions to consider:

1. Is this is a player you can win because of, and not in spite of? 

2. Do a player’s strengths outnumber his weaknesses? 

3. Has the player had enough opportunity—with proper scheme, coaching, and personnel—to show whether he is a QB you can consistently compete with moving forward? 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/11/5/20941743/nfl-young-quarterback-evaluation-gardner-minshew-baker-mayfield-mitchell-trubisky

13 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I would be shocked if Streveler wasn't in a NFL training camp next season.  Everybody knows what's coming and he can still run through and around an entire CFL defense on a broken foot.  An NFL team can sign him with absolutely no commitment, why wouldn't they?  This guy has already proven dominant against pro football players.

People saying this - do we know for a fact that there is a break in his foot?

My thoughts on our qb situation into next year......Collaros is gone. Too much risk with an injury to justify a 1st round draft choice.

Nichols I'm on the fence over. And it has to do with his shoulder. That could possibly be a career threatening injury. 

Streveler is getting significant raise and he's back. I really don't think he gets an NFL look.

Mcguire is back because he's under contract.

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He runs a 4.4 40.  He'll be 25 in January.  He can absolutely have an impact in the NFL, and with the less restrictive rosters he'll be hugely useful as an H-Back and special teamer, taking the odd snap in some gadget plays.  See what New Orleans does with Taysom Hill.   Streveler already played some receiver at Minnesota.

I would be shocked if Streveler wasn't in a NFL training camp next season.  Everybody knows what's coming and he can still run through and around an entire CFL defense on a broken foot.  An NFL team can sign him with absolutely no commitment, why wouldn't they?  This guy has already proven dominant against pro football players.

Agree that Streveler could be a useful NFL player. I just don't think he'd get a chance at NFL QB. Bo Levi Mitchell was being considered as a clip board holder in Minnesota. Streveler is not even close to his level of talent as a QB. And there are so many QB's coming out of college every year I just don't think Streveler would be considered. But, he is a helluva football player. If he was willing to play RB, H-back, slot receiver, or as you say maybe a Taysom Hill role, he could do it. 

Honestly I think he would be the best RB in the CFL if he played full time there. Don't think he will, but he could be. 

9 minutes ago, ddanger said:

My thoughts on our qb situation into next year......Collaros is gone. Too much risk with an injury to justify a 1st round draft choice.

Nichols I'm on the fence over. And it has to do with his shoulder. That could possibly be a career threatening injury. 

Streveler is getting significant raise and he's back. I really don't think he gets an NFL look.

Mcguire is back because he's under contract.

Streveler and McGuire as our 2 best QB's going into camp next season is a scary thought...see the RedBlacks this season and that is the path we would be on...

6 minutes ago, The Zipp said:

Streveler and McGuire as our 2 best QB's going into camp next season is a scary thought...see the RedBlacks this season and that is the path we would be on...

And that is why we will take a serious look at another qb. in fa. and run a tandem...be it Collaros,Masoli, or Arbuckle...I can't see Nichols as part of the equation next year...he'll likely go east

Folks are pretending that we destroyed the Stamps for the whole game. Truth of the matter is that they won the first half and we owned them in the 2nd half. The 70 yard TD in the 4th destroyed their confidence. After that BLM threw 2 picks and they turned the ball over on downs. 

We needed the combo of Collaros/Streveler to beat them. Either one alone or Nichols/Streveler wouldn't have done the job. We needed the big throws and the big runs. Neither QB by themselves could provide both.

I'm not suggesting we sign Collaros next year. In fact, I didn't want us to trade for him in the first place because of his health. It's turned out great so far, but I'm still worried about a big hit taking him out yet again. 

Collaros has been both good and lucky in Bomber Blue. Great TD throws and 4 balls that should have been picked, but weren't. He's moved the pocket well, something that Nichols can't do, and that's been the reason for some of his biggest plays. He's only played 1 and 3/4 games so far. Breaks will even out over the long run, but we're in the playoffs so the long run doesn't exist. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Nichols is a good QB..cerebral and efficient but not other wordly. On a good team with a nice compliment of weapons he is excellent and a guy who will win you more than you lose, but he is what he is...won't become anything more now and isn't a guy who will consistently out a team on his back and carry/will/inspire them to win by himself. He may make the odd spectacular play but it will be rare and it's not in his DNA

Strev is a different beast at this time...smart and young/inexperienced and learning the game...He is fire and determination and a outright beast who can..and has taken a game in his hands and just powered his way to succeed at any cost, its more so one dimensional to this point, but is leaps and bounds better than when he first got here...he can and has done he spectacular and sticking with him over the longterm will do it over and over and he WILL start doing it in the air...for all the detractors out there he is not just a runner....he's just been more of a runner while here than a passer, and thats due to his limited experience as a starting qb at any level.

The special thing with Strev is the team already has his respect and see's his commitment to the team and what he will do...and they will go through a wall for him, on both sides of the ball because they see him doing it on every play..and that is huge..he has that unique ability to raise the level of play of everyone..defense included and players have already said as much. 

it's easy to underestimate how much of an impact having a team guy like Strev has a positive impact on a team.   When guys see him running over people it absolutely motivates them. 

8 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

it's easy to underestimate how much of an impact having a team guy like Strev has a positive impact on a team.   When guys see him running over people it absolutely motivates them. 

Absolutely. Nothing motivates a player like seeing another player dominating despite injury.

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks are pretending that we destroyed the Stamps for the whole game. Truth of the matter is that they won the first half and we owned them in the 2nd half. The 70 yard TD in the 4th destroyed their confidence. After that BLM threw 2 picks and they turned the ball over on downs. 

We needed the combo of Collaros/Streveler to beat them. Either one alone or Nichols/Streveler wouldn't have done the job. We needed the big throws and the big runs. Neither QB by themselves could provide both.

I'm not suggesting we sign Collaros next year. In fact, I didn't want us to trade for him in the first place because of his health. It's turned out great so far, but I'm still worried about a big hit taking him out yet again. 

Collaros has been both good and lucky in Bomber Blue. Great TD throws and 4 balls that should have been picked, but weren't. He's moved the pocket well, something that Nichols can't do, and that's been the reason for some of his biggest plays. He's only played 1 and 3/4 games so far. Breaks will even out over the long run, but we're in the playoffs so the long run doesn't exist. 

We destroyed the Stamps on the final score. All that matters.

16 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Idk, I think we win the game if it’s just collaros. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of heat for this, but I don’t think strev  did too much until we had the lead in the fourth.

Just now, The Zipp said:

The said "suspected" and if I recall correctly once they even said "not confirmed"...

I don't think we will ever get a confirmed anything about the status of a Bomber player injury. Probably just speculation or rumors they have heard, but that's as good as it gets right now.

Just now, Tiny759 said:

Idk, I think we win the game if it’s just collaros. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of heat for this, but I don’t think strev  did too much until we had the lead in the fourth.

Based on the scoreboard I think you are right. We would have won without Strev. However, having him and the way he played basically sealed it and left no doubt. We were a better team because of him.