QB

jammer

29 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Lamar Jackson was picked 32nd overall. I'm not saying that they're in the same league athletically, but I wouldn't be surprised if Strev garners interest because of what Jackson is doing with his legs.

Lamar Jackson is a pocket passer that also has the skills of a running back there really is no other Lamar Jackson’s. 

re: Collaros outplaying Nichols ... Collaros had a totally Nichols/Lapo type game in the WSF ... pass for under 200 yards, keep the ball clean (tho he got real lucky a couple times), complete a couple bombs to Adams (the 36 yarder counts as a bomb to me, that was 36 yards in the air and no YAC) and otherwise he just distributed the ball in very safe ways to our playmakers.

FWIW, I think Nichols would've won that game as well. Nothing that Collaros did was outside Nichol's envelope. And maybe it's just that ZC is new to the Blue, but Nichols was smoother at handling all the Lapo misdirection than Collaros is, there were a few times when ZC was just a bit out of sync with the sweeping receiver or the tailback and that hurt some plays.

Edited by johnzo

44 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Thanks to Nichols, who, in no small part, helped win, what, 7 games out of our 11?

yeah, we'll leave out the part about how 7 of the 9 games (6 of his 7 wins) he played this year were against 4 teams that finished as the bottom 2 teams in each division, or that none of those 4 teams finished over .500 (the best was Edmonton who was 8-10, then BC 5-13, TOR 4-14, OTT 3-15),  and those 4 teams finished 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th in points scored this year, or that 3 of the 4 (with a combined record of 12-42) were eliminated from post season play half way thru the season...

the rest of the season included 8 of 9 games against the 4 teams that finished 1 and 2 in each division and had a combined record of 50-22 as opposed to 20-52 like the teams Nichols played... we'll keep that as our secret...

but yeah, he really smoked them this year... lol...

Collaros throws have more zip on them. He throws a better medium and a better deep ball. He's way more mobile than Nichols. There's no way Nichols even throws the ball to Adams in the last season game, let alone gets it there accurately. Collaros doesn't rely on the Harris dump pass anywhere near as often as Nichols does which makes defences have to cover everyone. Collaros did it against Calgary twice, one of which was a playoff game. Nichols mostly played against the bottom 3 teams in the league. 

Stats aren't going to tell the story because both QB's played in the PLAP offence. 

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Collaros throws have more zip on them. He throws a better medium and a better deep ball. He's way more mobile than Nichols. There's no way Nichols even throws the ball to Adams in the last season game, let alone gets it there accurately. Collaros doesn't rely on the Harris dump pass anywhere near as often as Nichols does which makes defences have to cover everyone. Collaros did it against Calgary twice, one of which was a playoff game. Nichols mostly played against the bottom 3 teams in the league. 

Stats aren't going to tell the story because both QB's played in the PLAP offence. 

that's accurate....challenge is that one slap to the head and ZC is out 4 games minimum...now I know that other QB's can get injured as well but this is beyond that.   I think in the end their skill sets are not far off - Zach wins for what you said above but it isn't a massive gap.

I am firmly on team Masoli but not sure that is going to pan out.  I suspect it will be Nichols in June for the Bombers again.

26 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

These are all subjective opinions...

58 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

yeah, we'll leave out the part about how 7 of the 9 games (6 of his 7 wins) he played this year were against 4 teams that finished as the bottom 2 teams in each division, or that none of those 4 teams finished over .500 (the best was Edmonton who was 8-10, then BC 5-13, TOR 4-14, OTT 3-15),  and those 4 teams finished 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th in points scored this year, or that 3 of the 4 (with a combined record of 12-42) were eliminated from post season play half way thru the season...

the rest of the season included 8 of 9 games against the 4 teams that finished 1 and 2 in each division and had a combined record of 50-22 as opposed to 20-52 like the teams Nichols played... we'll keep that as our secret...

but yeah, he really smoked them this year... lol...

So, you’re saying he didn’t have a part in winning the games against the opponents before him?

58 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

These are all subjective opinions...

As is the case with most fan level observations but if you put their respective career numbers into the on-line passer efficiency calculator the numbers come out very close but Zach is a bit ahead.  This is over 86 games for Matt and 74 for Zach - so a sizeable number...

MN - 94.52

ZC - 95.08

Very close - I will say that my observations is that Zach's throws are more accurate - like on the numbers, dropped in nicely - wheras Matt's are bit off, still catchable but not as sweet.  

As I said before -neither would be my first choice but they are wearing blue and gold so I will support them.

34 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

So, you’re saying he didn’t have a part in winning the games against the opponents before him?

did I say he had no part in it? I think it was quite clear from the narrative that he was involved in all of those games... that was never in question... quite the opposite, actually...

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

All things considered who's to say that if Matt didnt get hurt we dont go say 6 and 3 or better in the final half of season.??

would have, should have been 6-3 anyway... had the LDC wrapped up and then the give away at Montreal... not to mention that we scored enough pts in the second Calgary game that we probably should have won that one as well...

4 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

he's not NFL material, he doesn't bring enough to the table for someone to sign him for gadget type plays... much like Tebow, his best bet to make an NFL team would be to switch positions, and I still don't see it happening... don't get me wrong, I love me some Streveler but the NFL has already taken a peek and it was a hard pass by all...

He runs a 4.4 40.  He'll be 25 in January.  He can absolutely have an impact in the NFL, and with the less restrictive rosters he'll be hugely useful as an H-Back and special teamer, taking the odd snap in some gadget plays.  See what New Orleans does with Taysom Hill.   Streveler already played some receiver at Minnesota.

I would be shocked if Streveler wasn't in a NFL training camp next season.  Everybody knows what's coming and he can still run through and around an entire CFL defense on a broken foot.  An NFL team can sign him with absolutely no commitment, why wouldn't they?  This guy has already proven dominant against pro football players.

5 hours ago, Booch said:

I agree...if we go outside the org thats where i set my sights...and I'd lean to Massoli...Resign Strev who basically gets to start season you would think as he prob won't be a legit 100 percent to start season.. and you can park his SMS hit on the 6 game...Gives Strev a chance to take reigns and show he has progressed more, and if he hasn't really yet you have Massoli to take over at some point and have a nice QB combo again...

Almost certain as well that if the league sticks with the 2 rostered QB rule that there will be some type of concession for a 3rd stringer on roster somehow as you cant expect teams to only have 2 guys

Masoli will be absolutely useless in most CFL offenses.  Even Hamilton moved away from the Run and Shoot with Evans who has a quicker release and more accuracy.  I'd have pretty much zero interest in Masoli unless we could get June Jones or a disciple of his and a pile of small, fast receivers who are disciplined route runners.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He runs a 4.4 40.  He'll be 25 in January.  He can absolutely have an impact in the NFL, and with the less restrictive rosters he'll be hugely useful as an H-Back and special teamer, taking the odd snap in some gadget plays.  See what New Orleans does with Taysom Hill.   Streveler already played some receiver at Minnesota.

I would be shocked if Streveler wasn't in a NFL training camp next season.  Everybody knows what's coming and he can still run through and around an entire CFL defense on a broken foot.  An NFL team can sign him with absolutely no commitment, why wouldn't they?  This guy has already proven dominant against pro football players.

One team  out of 32 has marginal success with a player similar to Strevler and that means the world is going to open up for him??...if teams want a receiver they will get one not a QB/receiver/running back...

I will be shocked if he makes the roster on any NFL team...ever...

29 minutes ago, 66 Chevelle said:

did I say he had no part in it? I think it was quite clear from the narrative that he was involved in all of those games... that was never in question... quite the opposite, actually...

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you imply that Nichols benefited from playing such weak teams? Maybe any of our QBs could have won those games by that logic then?

6 minutes ago, The Zipp said:

One team  out of 32 has marginal success with a player similar to Strevler and that means the world is going to open up for him??...if teams want a receiver they will get one not a QB/receiver/running back...

I will be shocked if he makes the roster on any NFL team...ever...

Look among the TE/H-Back ranks in the NFL and there are loads of guys like Streveler, high school/college QB's who are big, fast, strong and unpolished passers.  Streveler is one of the most dangerous players in pro football with the ball in his hands.

1 hour ago, The Zipp said:

As is the case with most fan level observations but if you put their respective career numbers into the on-line passer efficiency calculator the numbers come out very close but Zach is a bit ahead.  This is over 86 games for Matt and 74 for Zach - so a sizeable number...

MN - 94.52

ZC - 95.08

Very close - I will say that my observations is that Zach's throws are more accurate - like on the numbers, dropped in nicely - wheras Matt's are bit off, still catchable but not as sweet.  

As I said before -neither would be my first choice but they are wearing blue and gold so I will support them.

Before he got his brains scrambled and all the other injuries he had yeah Collaros was easily better, but that guy doesn't exist anymore so comparing careers doesn't tell the story of today. 

I thought part of the reason Strev signed here instead of chasing NFL camps was because he wanted to play QB.. So im not sure what changed in the last couple years.. Hes more of a runner.. I dont see him getting a shot.. Perhaps a mini camp invite or who knows.. Or he signs here. Wonder if he's gonna need surgery after the season tho. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you imply that Nichols benefited from playing such weak teams? Maybe any of our QBs could have won those games by that logic then?

yeah, you got the point I was making... and yes, I agree with your last statment as well... Streveler, or Collaros would have won just as many of those games... we're on the same page now...

l don't think that it's a giant leap to believe that if I were a QB in the CFL this year that playing 7 of 9 games against the likes of Ottawa, BC, Tornoto, and Edmonton would be s simplier path to 7 wins than playing Calgary, SSK, Montreal, and Hamilton, wouldn't you?