QB

jammer

6 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Its still too early to write off Streveler as a running Qb only in my book, a lot of mobile QBs( Ham, Allen, even Flutie) stated their careers as a running Qb before getting comfortable and getting enough experience to read defenses. Streveler is only 24 and with his drive i would not write him off....

If he re-signs in Wpg. good chance he'll  get 4-6 starts nextr season backing up Nichols or Collaros in injury relief, along with his expanded short yardage sets.  Next year will be critical for his development, he has to show he can move beyond his "Dan LeFevour role", if he intends to become a starter in the near future.

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

He isnt just a runner..he is a great running QB who is young and learning defences...as he only has after this year 3 years experience as an actual high level starter as a qb

He passed for over 4100 yards and over 30 tds in his senior year..that's not what running qbs do...

Fajardo on other hand never eclipsed 2800 yards in college or 20 tds..and was a definitive prototypical running qb..and was solely that for his first 3 years in canada leading up to this yr..his reason for more success throwing over Strev at this point is experience in the league..and CFL defences..given strev now has 2 years..and more actual starting experience under his belt than your average backup he will continue to progress..he has this year already significantly..he has a better arm..is a better runner..and has a better "it" factor..and it finally dawned on me who he throws like when I was away in cali and seen players up close and its Phillip Rivers..and he has done just fine..and that throwing motion is less likely to have shoulder issues..as shown by his relatively healthy career

100% strev has potential to be a good well rounded qb, but we have to take into consideration the position the bombers will be in next year. The team is still gonna be strong, and if strev is gonna be the guy to lead them, puts a lot of pressure on him to hurry his development and move on from being a run first qb. They could combat this by resigning Nichols as well, but then we pretty much say goodbye to any chance of developing McGuire.

Arbuckle is definitely out of Calgary, report says he will try to land a starting gig somewhere. Unless of course, Huf trades Bo which has slim to no chance to happen. 

I wouldnt mind a combo of Arbuckle and Streveller, next year.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

He surpassed the Fever last yr

....and yet no team will be prepared to offer him the starting QB position this off-season, unless he shows more aptitude for the passing game, he's in danger of getting pin-holed like LeFevour was.  I think his best option is to continue in the role he's been given in Wpg. with increased playing time., it might be the closest thing to a two QB system we've seen in decades. without a conflict of egos it could certainly work.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

The hilarious part of this trade is it totally screwed the 'Riders over. They got a 4th-round pick that could have (conditionally) upped to a 2nd-rounder if Collaros played significant time with the Argos. He didn't, but the Argos still come out ahead because they flipped him to us for a 3rd rounder (potential 1st-rounder if we were to re-sign him).

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

The hilarious part of this trade is it totally screwed the 'Riders over. They got a 4th-round pick that could have (conditionally) upped to a 2nd-rounder if Collaros played significant time with the Argos. He didn't, but the Argos still come out ahead because they flipped him to us for a 3rd rounder (potential 1st-rounder if we were to re-sign him).

Thank god for Pinball, he threw the Bombers a life-line by trading Collaros.  Who knew???

Collaros has injury concerns.....so does Nichols....Both were sidelined this year BUT as far as talent goes, I'm giving the edge to Zack...He showed what he can do with that scramble and chuck to Adams in the last game of the season..Nichols is as slow as molasses  and is usually punished by hard charging linemen hence his higher propensity for injury...Zack , if he keeps playing the 'little or no run game scenario' has a higher ceiling ....Signing him for next year would mean the end of Nichols here...also would mean a first round draft pic would be gone in 2020...Considering we 'could possibly' end up with another Ekakite, being that the draft is a 'crapshoot' ,...I say we go with the bird in hand..especially if we bring the Cup home

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Collaros has injury concerns.....so does Nichols....Both were sidelined this year BUT as far as talent goes, I'm giving the edge to Zack...He showed what he can do with that scramble and chuck to Adams in the last game of the season..Nichols is as slow as molasses  and is usually punished by hard charging linemen hence his higher propensity for injury...Zack , if he keeps playing the 'little or no run game scenario' has a higher ceiling ....Signing him for next year would mean the end of Nichols here...also would mean a first round draft pic would be gone in 2020...Considering we 'could possibly' end up with another Ekakite, being that the draft is a 'crapshoot' ,...I say we go with the bird in hand..especially if we bring the Cup home

I think Walters has to seriously consider that option if Zach brings back a G.C., otherwise he'll probably roll with Nichols.

24 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

The Argos paid him the entire time he was there, at full rate, just not on SMS.  The 3rd rounder doesn't change to a first if we sign him, they add a first.  Have to wonder if Collaros playing for the Bombers affects the pick the Riders got from the Argos...  is "significant time" just regular season?

Collaros is good, but Nichols is the man here if healthy, and he wants to be here.  If we have teh same lineup next year, you can bet Streveler gets more reps.  Which wouldn't be bad for Nichols either.  IF he accepts the role.

So, if you're going to ride a Nichols/Streveler combo, that's fine but what happens when one gets hurt? Arguably, we had it good with our Nichols(Collaros)/Streveler combo because they were so different but as soon as Streveler had to run the show, it wasn't so good. 

in the two QB world, do you need two QBs similar enough so you don't have to change your entire approach if one gets hurt? And, I'm thinking of this over multiple games, not just an in-game adjustment. 

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

In the two QB world, do you need two QBs similar enough so you don't have to change your entire approach if one gets hurt? And, I'm thinking of this over multiple games, not just an in-game adjustment. 

If we don't have to change our approach then neither does the D so I think it's important that they are sufficiently different to give the D trouble adjusting.