QB

jammer

Doubt it. The fact that we need to give Toronto our 1st round pick if Collaros re-signs coupled with his injury history makes it pretty obvious Zach wont be back next year. Especially since Collaros and Nichols are essentially the same player.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

32 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Doubt it. The fact that we need to give Toronto our 1st round pick if Collaros re-signs coupled with his injury history makes it pretty obvious Zach wont be back next year. Especially since Collaros and Nichols are essentially the same player.

You guys follow this way more than I do, what's the stock quality for draft picks this coming year?

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Starting a season is easier than finishing a season.....  which was ridiculously proven this past season for QBs in the league.

Tough game and tough position to play...CFL and NFL felt it this season.  Hopefully this season was an aberration but I am sure GM's will be focusing on quality backups too

52 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Collaros > Nichols. That being said, I don't want either next year even if we win the cup this year. 

Stats are pretty comparable.  I would say about equal.  I would pass on both but all depends on what the other options are and the price.  The biggest thing is not over paying as this QB market might go a little nuts this year.

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I respectfully disagree. Collaros is far more mobile and can extend plays with his legs. Nichols is so slow that he generally doesn't even try to avoid the collapsing pocket and just braces for impact. I believe Collaros also throws a more accurate, catch-able ball. His deep ball is better and he has much better touch on those short, hit-the-receiver-in-stride screen passes. If Collaros continues to show as he has and can manage to stay healthy he may be well worth a first-round pick. 

2 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

If you were watching Collaros yesterday, he throws far too often into coverage down the middle.

that's his history.

He should have had at least two interceptions if Calgary did not have butter fingers.

Should have had 2 against both games so far. 

15 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

If you were watching Collaros yesterday, he throws far too often into coverage down the middle.

that's his history.

He should have had at least two interceptions if Calgary did not have butter fingers.

He's more of a chucker than Nichols, good and bad, throwing an interception doesn't bother him as much and it doesn't alter his game, he keeps on chucking .  Nichols withdraws and gets more conservative after throwing an interception and relies on Harris more.

34 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Question: If Collaros hits free agency and then we sign him, do we still owe the Argos extra compensation? Or does that only apply if we sign him prior to February 15th?

That is a very very good question.... 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I respectfully disagree. Collaros is far more mobile and can extend plays with his legs. Nichols is so slow that he generally doesn't even try to avoid the collapsing pocket and just braces for impact. I believe Collaros also throws a more accurate, catch-able ball. His deep ball is better and he has much better touch on those short, hit-the-receiver-in-stride screen passes. If Collaros continues to show as he has and can manage to stay healthy he may be well worth a first-round pick. 

I respectfully disagree your disagree. Both are game managers at this point in their careers. Collaros may very well be more mobile but do you really want him running around?? He is one head shot away from dementia. Both make poor decisions at times but Nichols is far more risk adverse which can be a good thing. They both have good points and bad but like I said, Collaros' injury history and 1st round cost make me lean towards keeping Nichols(even though im far from his biggest fan). I don't see enough upside from Collaros over Nichols to erase those factors.

I guess if Zach is unsigned after the draft, and we sign him, we can't really give him a draft pick that is already spent...

I can't see resigning Zach with that price tag.  Especially if Nichols is back and healthy.  Nichols at a lower rate, Streveler at an increase, and the two headed monster running more 50/50, not 85/15 like this year...

5 minutes ago, TheAardvark said:

I guess if Zach is unsigned after the draft, and we sign him, we can't really give him a draft pick that is already spent...

I can't see resigning Zach with that price tag.  Especially if Nichols is back and healthy.  Nichols at a lower rate, Streveler at an increase, and the two headed monster running more 50/50, not 85/15 like this year...

Gotta be careful though because how much of an increase do you give to a qb who can only run? 

Its still too early to write off Streveler as a running Qb only in my book, a lot of mobile QBs( Ham, Allen, even Flutie) started their careers as a running Qb before getting comfortable and getting enough experience to read defenses. Streveler is only 24 and with his drive i would not write him off....

Edited by bb1

He isnt just a runner..he is a great running QB who is young and learning defences...as he only has after this year 3 years experience as an actual high level starter as a qb

He passed for over 4100 yards and over 30 tds in his senior year..that's not what running qbs do...

Fajardo on other hand never eclipsed 2800 yards in college or 20 tds..and was a definitive prototypical running qb..and was solely that for his first 3 years in canada leading up to this yr..his reason for more success throwing over Strev at this point is experience in the league..and CFL defences..given strev now has 2 years..and more actual starting experience under his belt than your average backup he will continue to progress..he has this year already significantly..he has a better arm..is a better runner..and has a better "it" factor..and it finally dawned on me who he throws like when I was away in cali and seen players up close and its Phillip Rivers..and he has done just fine..and that throwing motion is less likely to have shoulder issues..as shown by his relatively healthy career