WF - Bombers @ Riders

JCon

I'm a little nervous about the general Cockiness I'm getting from the vibe here, and even myself I have to admit.

Anything can happen in a one-off game. So even if we were the favourites, which I don't think we will be,  nothing can be taken for granted. 

At this point I'm going to give MOS a pass as a coach and hope that he's keeping the guys focussed. We're so close to achieving a desperately-needed goal that if he needed a back rub I would fly to Winnipeg on my own dime and massage him.

As far as the strategy goes against the Riders on Sunday, I think it's simple. Play clean football and have a balanced attack. We can't just run the ball between the tackles, we have to bring in big Chris, we have to throw the Deep ball occasionally, we have to keep the defense honest. If lapo calls a game like he did in the second half on Sunday I'm confident we will do okay.

More than anything at this point, I'm just really hoping things turn out well and I can't provide much in the way of strategy or even commentary. It actually wrenches my gut thinking about how close we are to playing for the  Grey Cup in Calgary, 20 minutes from where I live. I want this for our city, I want this for our fans. I don't care how they win. Just win. 

3 hours ago, White Out said:

I'm a little nervous about the general Cockiness I'm getting from the vibe here, and even myself I have to admit.

Meh. If they win the cockiness was justified. If they lose then at least you got to feel cocky for a week before feeling like crap. Savour the moment.

Edited by Deiter Fan

9 hours ago, JCon said:

Different rules for the playoffs I guess. 

They are only closing the practices to fans as media can watch the Weds and Friday practices.

Fajardo wasn't planning on practicing until Thurs (which is closed to the media) so we may not find out how he's doing until Friday.

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Don't expect to win a Canadian football game scoring under 20 points.  Yes D gave up FG drive, also the only points they gave up that entire half.  Bombers couldn't even manage a first down in the first quarter.

geez... where to start? how about with...

1) maybe you shouldn't expect to win a game when you score 20 or fewer points, but, you should expect to win a game when the last time your offense touches the ball they put together a 4th quarter, 63 yd, 6 min 35 sec touchdown scoring drive, that included 4 first downs, that gave your team the lead while leaving a mere 3:18 left to play in the game... not to mention, Medlock follows up the scoring drive with a 79 yd kickoff that found the Riders being their drive on their own 5 yard line... yeah, I expect to win that game... 

2) maybe you shouldn't expect to win a game when you score 20 or fewer points but you do realize that this game was won by a team that scored fewer than 20 pts (19-17), don't you?  maybe we should have been awarded that win because they shouldn't expect to win a game with fewer than 20 pts... that  seems only fair...

3) maybe you shouldn't expect to win a game when you score 20 or fewer points but that happened 11 times during the 2019 season... if you increase that number by just 1 pt to 21 pts it was accomplished 8 more times, or a total of 19 times during the season... in fact, Hamilton won a game this year by the score of 13-10...

4) 20 pts seems a bit... specific, doesn't it?  why not 19 pts, or 21 pts... should you expect to win the game if you do score 21 pts instead of 20? I mean after all the entire league only averaged 24.7 pts per game this season... 4 teams had an average of 22.8 or fewer... granted, they didn't win a bunch of games but one team in that group made the playoffs with an average score of 22.6 pts per game!  crazy, huh?  Ottawa managed to go entire season and only average a mind numbing 17.3 pts per game!

5) would it really have made a difference if we say that the Bombers have the same exact scenario as in #1 above, but, that touchdown puts the Bombers up 36-35 with 3:18 left in the game... then the Riders have the walk off FG to win the game 38-36... would it have been the defense's fault then for losing the game? to me, and maybe it's just me, but any time your team puts together a final possession drive to take the lead, regardless of the final score or how many points were scored, the offense has done it's job and it's up to the defense to secure the win, or, if nothing else, get them the ball back with some time left on the clock to try and score again... the defense on this day did neither...

6) the Bomber's offense out scored the Riders in the second half, maybe the defense shouldn't have given up so many points in the first half!  see how that works? 

7) you are correct, the Bombers did not get a first down in the first quarter... that was was kind of hard to do when your defense was giving up 9 first downs in the first quarter to the other team... however, the offense did manage to get first downs when it mattered the most, that late game go ahead scoring drive (see item 1 above), which was for nothing as the defense promptly follow that up by allowing the Riders 6 first downs on the following drive to get that walk off, game winning FG... 6... SIX... VI... seis... one more than 5, but one less than 7, 6 first downs in less than 3 minutes...

I could probably come up with more reasons but I'll stop at 7... I think 7 serves my side of the conversation well... 

7 hours ago, Zontar said:

Old school. Advocated a HAM/PEG matchup a while ago.

I actually predicted a Bomber/TiCat Grey Cup at the start of the season however I didn't predict that the Bombers would have Zach Collaros playing for them  against the team that took him out on his second play of the season!  That's the epic part!!

It's crazy how even though the Stamps have had a dominate team lately they have only won the Grey Cup twice this decade. 

In fact all teams have won a Cup in the last 10 years except for the Bombers and the TiCats. 

All the more reason for the Bombers to win it all this year. Need everyone to start talking about the TiCats having gone over 20 years without a Cup win. #1999

6 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

geez... where to start? how about with...

1) maybe you shouldn't expect to win a game when you score 20 or fewer points, but, you should expect to win a game when the last time your offense touches the ball they put together a 4th quarter, 63 yd, 6 min 35 sec touchdown scoring drive, that included 4 first downs, that gave your team the lead while leaving a mere 3:18 left to play in the game... not to mention, Medlock follows up the scoring drive with a 79 yd kickoff that found the Riders being their drive on their own 5 yard line... yeah, I expect to win that game... 

2) maybe you shouldn't expect to win a game when you score 20 or fewer points but you do realize that this game was won by a team that scored fewer than 20 pts (19-17), don't you?  maybe we should have been awarded that win because they shouldn't expect to win a game with fewer than 20 pts... that  seems only fair...

3) maybe you shouldn't expect to win a game when you score 20 or fewer points but that happened 11 times during the 2019 season... if you increase that number by just 1 pt to 21 pts it was accomplished 8 more times, or a total of 19 times during the season... in fact, Hamilton won a game this year by the score of 13-10...

4) 20 pts seems a bit... specific, doesn't it?  why not 19 pts, or 21 pts... should you expect to win the game if you do score 21 pts instead of 20? I mean after all the entire league only averaged 24.7 pts per game this season... 4 teams had an average of 22.8 or fewer... granted, they didn't win a bunch of games but one team in that group made the playoffs with an average score of 22.6 pts per game!  crazy, huh?  Ottawa managed to go entire season and only average a mind numbing 17.3 pts per game!

5) would it really have made a difference if we say that the Bombers have the same exact scenario as in #1 above, but, that touchdown puts the Bombers up 36-35 with 3:18 left in the game... then the Riders have the walk off FG to win the game 38-36... would it have been the defense's fault then for losing the game? to me, and maybe it's just me, but any time your team puts together a final possession drive to take the lead, regardless of the final score or how many points were scored, the offense has done it's job and it's up to the defense to secure the win, or, if nothing else, get them the ball back with some time left on the clock to try and score again... the defense on this day did neither...

6) the Bomber's offense out scored the Riders in the second half, maybe the defense shouldn't have given up so many points in the first half!  see how that works? 

7) you are correct, the Bombers did not get a first down in the first quarter... that was was kind of hard to do when your defense was giving up 9 first downs in the first quarter to the other team... however, the offense did manage to get first downs when it mattered the most, that late game go ahead scoring drive (see item 1 above), which was for nothing as the defense promptly follow that up by allowing the Riders 6 first downs on the following drive to get that walk off, game winning FG... 6... SIX... VI... seis... one more than 5, but one less than 7, 6 first downs in less than 3 minutes...

I could probably come up with more reasons but I'll stop at 7... I think 7 serves my side of the conversation well... 

7 points seems oddly specific...  :D  

14 hours ago, VoR said:

Rod Pederson is a knob, and speaks for no rider fans I know

The ones I know and talk to are torn- 

We want to kick your A@@, but also find it hard to cheer against Zach 

I agree. There might be some classless fans he is referring to, but in all probability this is Pederson being Pederson.

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

I’m hopeful that Collaros concussions haven’t erased his intimate knowledge of the Regina offence and grasp of the defence. 

Well if he was bringing up schemes with Beneviedes he used pre-game and how he hated what he did against him, pretty certain he still remembers what Sask was doing the past 2 years..and this could be integral in the game..

LaPolice said that Collaros is a film junkie, and Collaros himself said that there was no more film left to be watched. 

I doubt anything the D throws at him will be a surprise, and he will be familiar with the reads in their offence.

Obviously there will be things done that they haven't done before though.It sn't reinventing the wheel though. You are just mixing in stuff you create game changing plays that break tendency.

I’m hoping the knowledge is an edge, maybe outcome altering on a couple plays, but advantage that the green bastards from parts unknown don’t have. 
No doubt SK may have to take valuable prep time to neutralize ZC’s expertise. They can’t change a whole lot. 
I can’t recall a comparable disadvantage that matches the magnitude of what ZC brings. 

Edited by Rod Black

Lots said here, and over there, about injured players, weather, knowledge of plays, past records etc etc   All makes for good chatter  

Simple fact: everything depend on the lines. I know it's cliche, but that's how this works. Win both lines, win the game. 

So who has the OLine and Dline advantage? 

2 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Lots said here, and over there, about injured players, weather, knowledge of plays, past records etc etc   All makes for good chatter  

Simple fact: everything depend on the lines. I know it's cliche, but that's how this works. Win both lines, win the game. 

So who has the OLine and Dline advantage? 

Now that you ask. The scoreboard grabs lots of attention.