You all need to apologize to Paul LaPolice.

TrueBlue4ever

If were in an apologetic mood (it's so Canadian of us) than we also need to apologize to Kyle Walters.  I remember when he was promoted to the GM. Many on here were upset that he was promoted without an exhaustive search for a more seasoned GM.  And yes we had some lean years early on but man this team was decimated by previous regimes that knew nothing about building a stable franchise.  Rome wasn't built in a day and fixing all the problems with this team took awhile but finally paid off over the past 2 - 3 seasons.   I'm still not completely sold with the scouting staff but I'm seeing improvements there too. I've been out spoken about Danny Mac's scouting team and how they have yet to find the game breaker receiver and a QB prospect that could be our #1 for years to come. 

I was on board with Walters from the beginning as I always thought who better to rebuild our Cdn talent then a Cdn who played the game. And knowing Wade Miller from previous business dealing I knew he wouldn't hire someone just because it was the easy thing to do. He would have had to share the same vision as Miller on how to rebuild the team and franchise as a place where players wanted to play.  

Good hire and IMO the one person who is most responsible for this championship team. 

32 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

We had 8 turn overs, and 7 FG attempts. lapo called a good game at the biggest stage, but if we lost that game Hall would have stabbed him in the callers booth. There was some testicular fortitude in his play calling which was nice to see but I still want him to walk.

A bunch of fgs from deep in the red zone too. While starting drives at the hamilton 50 twice, 41, and 24 with out getting a td on any of those drives. 6 drives of 4 or fewer plays, and harris shouldve gotten more carries. Not to mention we shouldve included more deep stuff for collaros. 

It was a solid game call. With a few really good play calls. But over all Id say it was a bit better then par for the course in a lapo offense. At this point I dont think buck would do any worse. 

Lapo and Hall both called excellent games on Sunday. Stalled drives just might be attributed to Hamilton's number one defence doing their best to keep them in the game. End of the day when you hang 30+ on their defence, and you keep their O to under 15 points your coordinators have done an excellent job preparing the players, game planning and calling plays. Those are just the facts. There have been times each of these guys have deserved criticism, but you have to be highly biased not to give these guys their due for Sunday.

24 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

If were in an apologetic mood (it's so Canadian of us) than we also need to apologize to Kyle Walters.  I remember when he was promoted to the GM. Many on here were upset that he was promoted without an exhaustive search for a more seasoned GM.  And yes we had some lean years early on but man this team was decimated by previous regimes that knew nothing about building a stable franchise.  Rome wasn't built in a day and fixing all the problems with this team took awhile but finally paid off over the past 2 - 3 seasons.   I'm still not completely sold with the scouting staff but I'm seeing improvements there too. I've been out spoken about Danny Mac's scouting team and how they have yet to find the game breaker receiver and a QB prospect that could be our #1 for years to come. 

I was on board with Walters from the beginning as I always thought who better to rebuild our Cdn talent then a Cdn who played the game. And knowing Wade Miller from previous business dealing I knew he wouldn't hire someone just because it was the easy thing to do. He would have had to share the same vision as Miller on how to rebuild the team and franchise as a place where players wanted to play.  

Good hire and IMO the one person who is most responsible for this championship team. 

I don't think Kyle is owed an apology. I don't recall him facing a ton of criticism like Lapo or Hall or even MOS at times.

2 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I don't think Kyle is owed an apology. I don't recall him facing a ton of criticism like Lapo or Hall or even MOS at times.

When he was first hired he did.  Many didn't like the optics around his promotion and the fact he had no experience as a GM.  it was speculated that Miller hired his "buddy" without looking outside the organization.  Then when he hired O'Shea he was criticized that he didn't hire a experienced CFL coach. 

24 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Lapo and Hall both called excellent games on Sunday. Stalled drives just might be attributed to Hamilton's number one defence doing their best to keep them in the game. End of the day when you hang 30+ on their defence, and you keep their O to under 15 points your coordinators have done an excellent job preparing the players, game planning and calling plays. Those are just the facts. There have been times each of these guys have deserved criticism, but you have to be highly biased not to give these guys their due for Sunday.

Not with 8 turn overs and 4 drives starting in enemy territory. The red zone play calling was poor.

29 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

A bunch of fgs from deep in the red zone too. While starting drives at the hamilton 50 twice, 41, and 24 with out getting a td on any of those drives. 6 drives of 4 or fewer plays, and harris shouldve gotten more carries. Not to mention we shouldve included more deep stuff for collaros. 

It was a solid game call. With a few really good play calls. But over all Id say it was a bit better then par for the course in a lapo offense. At this point I dont think buck would do any worse. 

Seems to me the talking heads on TSN were saying the Bombers put points on the board  7 out of their last 8 drives... Remind me what the final score was again? 

2 minutes ago, NormW said:

Seems to me the talking heads on TSN were saying the Bombers put points on the board  7 out of their last 8 drives... Remind me what the final score was again? 

medlock 6 plop 2. Of those drives that scored 4 started deep in Hamilton territory, 1 was a long ball based drive the rest were close to mid field. 

Edited by wbbfan

30 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

This. 100% bang-on post. Thank you!

People need to lose the notion that stalled drives are on an OC..Other team's are scheming against us to stop our scheme...thats football....I gotta say our 2 coordinators over the last 4 games were key in us winning...plain and simple...they gave our players the knowledge and plan to win...and they executed it to perfection

We gave up 3 TD's all play-offs...3!!...and forced turnovers with picks...strips...and on 3rd down gambles

Offensively...no turn-overs...and everytime a team scored on us...next drive we pretty much got it back...controlled the clock...the LOS..and won...we stalled on a few drives and got FG's instead of TD's but we got points...kept other teams offence off the field and our players were put in spots, and given great coaching to not make errors...kudos all around...this was a total team championship right down From Walters savy trade to the lowest position coach on the totem pole, and right through the roster...the whole roster..Guys like Hansen..Gauthier..Speller..Exume...Kongbo..Desjarlais..Bailey..Lawler all had game altering impacts to go along with our stars...back-ups stepping in to have to start...rookies making plays...foot soldiers doing key things...the whole TEAM won this...and we still had guys like Roh..Whitehead..Gray..Fenner ..Oliveira Couture not even able to get in line-up but if they did all capable of starting and having an impact..this team is set up nicely 

Edited by Booch

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

when we are starting deep in hamilton territory it doesnt matter though does it?

Correct... I agree, if the Bombers fielded a punt on or inside Hamilton's 45 they would have been in Medlock's range, but that wasn't the case.  If that's your argument can you provide the stats as to where the Bombers fielded the ball on each one of Medlock's field goal attempts? The offense moved the ball into scoring range, the Bombers weren't "gifted" with 18 points by virtue of punts fielded deep inside Hamilton's half of the field.  At least not in the game I watched.

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

People need to lose the notion that stalled drives are on an OC..Other team's are scheming against us to stop our scheme...thats football....I gotta say our 2 coordinators over the last 4 games were key in us winning...plain and simple...they gave our players the knowledge and plan to win...and they executed it to perfection

We gave up 3 TD's all play-offs...3!!...and forced turnovers with picks...strips...and on 3rd down gambles

Offensively...no turn-overs...and everytime a team scored on us...next drive we pretty much got it back...controlled the clock...the LOS..and won...we stalled on a few drives and got FG's instead of TD's but we got points...kept other teams offence off the field and our players were put in spots, and given great coaching to not make errors...kudos all around...this was a total team championship right down From Walters savy trade to the lowest position coach on the totem pole, and right through the roster...the whole roster..Guys like Hansen..Gauthier..Speller..Exume...Kongbo..Desjarlais..Bailey..Lawler all had game altering impacts to go along with our stars...back-ups stepping in to have to start...rookies making plays...foot soldiers doing key things...the whole TEAM won this...and we still had guys like Roh..Whitehead..Gray..Fenner ..Oliveira Couture not even able to get in line-up but if they did all capable of starting and having an impact..this team is set up nicely 

Do you think the red zone play calls were good? How many carries did harris get?

Thats defense, and with any more tds we may probably dont make it to a GC. The players played on a whole other level. The D play call was tremendous. The O play call didnt get in the way in the end. Thats not nearly the same thing as being good.

Ends dont justify the means, and winning doesnt mean the play call was great. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Do you think the red zone play calls were good? How many carries did harris get?

Thats defense, and with any more tds we may probably dont make it to a GC. The players played on a whole other level. The D play call was tremendous. The O play call didnt get in the way in the end. Thats not nearly the same thing as being good.

Ends dont justify the means, and winning doesnt mean the play call was great. 

I don't know what the calls were...and what the defense presented to counter...nor do you...We may have called more Harris touches in redzone, but if the defense took it away...then whats the point...It all came down to what Zack called when he did his pre-snap reads...If you think we call a play and thats that and you run it regardless then your pretty ...not to be rude...dumb...thats not how it works. 

When an offence controls the clock by almost 12 minutes..has zero turnovers...scores 30+ points...and wins the game with balanced offence...yeah in my experience thats a pretty damn good called game...not sure what you wanted/expected but the end result was a W

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

When he was first hired he did.  Many didn't like the optics around his promotion and the fact he had no experience as a GM.  it was speculated that Miller hired his "buddy" without looking outside the organization.  Then when he hired O'Shea he was criticized that he didn't hire a experienced CFL coach. 

That was 6 years ago. The time for apology was many years ago. Over the past several years most people have acknowledged that he has built a good team...even those who initially had some trepidation.

6 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

That was 6 years ago. The time for apology was many years ago. Over the past several years most people have acknowledged that he has built a good team...even those who initially had some trepidation.

It was somewhat sarcastic based on the apology thread for Lapo. 

Just now, Goalie said:

33 12 right. 

7 turnovers for Hammy. 

If we had an O it would have been 50 12. 

Im happy AF that we won but lets not pretend that it wasnt bevause of the D. 

was total team effort...the defense ruled the day and the offence did what they had to to put it away and not eff it up with stupid turnovers themselves...thats winning football

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

I dunno. I feel pretending the D didn't completely dominate is not giving them enough credit. Same D who held BLM to like 120 yards passing and only allowed like 3 Tds in 3 games away from IGF. 

our defense dominated all play-offs,,,no questions about that at all...probably one of the best defensive runs over 3 games..against 3 teams with better records in CFL play-off history if you ask me

In retrospect it's somewhat clear to me now that we did what we needed to do with the personnel we had.

We don't have a stable of #1 receivers but we have some very steady, reliable receivers that can run good routes. We have some #1 runners though with both speed (Demski) and power (Harris, Streveler). I think Lapo built an offense to capitalize on what he had to work with. Gone was the boring, predictable schemes of the past. Our playoff opponents were never comfortable guessing what was coming next.

Same on D. We mixed up the blitzes and 3/4 man rushes beautifully. The players said they weren't even doing stunts. Just rushing straight-up and being as physical as possible and they couldn't handle us. 

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

In retrospect it's somewhat clear to me now that we did what we needed to do with the personnel we had.

We don't have a stable of #1 receivers but we have some very steady, reliable receivers that can run good routes. We have some #1 runners though with both speed (Demski) and power (Harris, Streveler). I think Lapo built an offense to capitalize on what he had to work with. Gone was the boring, predictable schemes of the past. Our playoff opponents were never comfortable guessing what was coming next.

Same on D. We mixed up the blitzes and 3/4 man rushes beautifully. The players said they weren't even doing stunts. Just rushing straight-up and being as physical as possible and they couldn't handle us. 

I agree, gone was the, " boring, predictable schemes of the past "....