You all need to apologize to Paul LaPolice.

TrueBlue4ever

33 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

So LaPo was "Mickey" to the offence's "Rocky" in beating the Stamp's "Apollo" by fighting righty and then switching to south-paw?

I've seen Rocky II a bajillion times, but even just now, while watching that clip, I'm like 'come on Rocky, get up, get up!' when I know all to well that he does indeed get up and Apollo doesn't... lol...  too funny.... 

22 hours ago, Booch said:

The game was a combination of better coaching...players out performing others..and new schemes on both sides of ball to confuse CGY..basically playoff mode ball by well prepped team.

BLM was piss poor solely due to what he was seeing..and wasnt comfortable save for the first drive all game. 

On offense the second half "adjustment" was just a continuation of what was game planned from the start...they felt them out..and like Collaros said in the presser got CGY to reveal how they were gonna roll on defense all day and they exploited it..with pre-planned scheme.

I guarantee you as well we got a dose of Streveler light in first half to give full dose in second half to wear down and hammer it home as it got colder and players got more tired and to preserve him for crunch time and grind out the game..and it worked flawlessly...well done coaching staff and well done team for executing it...plain and simple that's what happened. 

I think you're pretty accurate,but I'd go a step further even. I think it wasn't that they were feeling Calgary out and kept Streveler for the 2nd half, but rather he was more of a "secret weapon" that they didn't want to allow the Stamps to make half-time adjustments. I can never be sure, but that's how I make sense of Strev not really doing anything until the 2nd half. Also thinking (hoping?) that it was kind of a ploy to list him as the 3rd stringer, but who knows.

I have a different view on our offence than most. I really think that in the past 2-3 years that our offence and personnel have been built to win cold weather games in the playoffs. I know a lot of people don't love that strategy because in July when we are running the ball 30 times a game it seems odd. However, when you look at the complete dismantling we put on a very good Calgary run defence, it was mainly because the execution level of our running game is at a much higher level than everyone else. The dink and dunk ball control is putrid in July but often is the only thing that works in November and our team practices it and perfects it all year long.

On defence, our yardage given up through the air is always poor but run defence, DL, and LBer pursuit are top notch. These are the things that win playoff games if we execute them well. I have no issues whatsoever with the game plan employed this weekend. It was a systematic dismantling of Calgary's O and D. Our strengths came to the forefront because what our strengths are always do in November in the playoffs.

I will say it again, we are a team and scheme well designed for playoff success. It has taken a while to get there, but I like our chances against anybody this year if we simply execute what we've been doing all year long. Boring...sure...but if it is a recipe for Grey Cup success I'm good with that.

24 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

I have a different view on our offence than most. I really think that in the past 2-3 years that our offence and personnel have been built to win cold weather games in the playoffs. I know a lot of people don't love that strategy because in July when we are running the ball 30 times a game it seems odd. However, when you look at the complete dismantling we put on a very good Calgary run defence, it was mainly because the execution level of our running game is at a much higher level than everyone else. The dink and dunk ball control is putrid in July but often is the only thing that works in November and our team practices it and perfects it all year long.

On defence, our yardage given up through the air is always poor but run defence, DL, and LBer pursuit are top notch. These are the things that win playoff games if we execute them well. I have no issues whatsoever with the game plan employed this weekend. It was a systematic dismantling of Calgary's O and D. Our strengths came to the forefront because what our strengths are always do in November in the playoffs.

I will say it again, we are a team and scheme well designed for playoff success. It has taken a while to get there, but I like our chances against anybody this year if we simply execute what we've been doing all year long. Boring...sure...but if it is a recipe for Grey Cup success I'm good with that.

It was boring with Nichols in there..... but then it became exciting with Big Chris.... and then the last two games it became even more exciting with Zak.... and they still have the same team built for the playoffs like you say.... 

Just now, NorthernSkunk said:

It was boring with Nichols in there..... but then it became exciting with Big Chris.... and then the last two games it became even more exciting with Zak.... and they still have the same team built for the playoffs like you say.... 

Zach has been literally playing the same play book with about the exact same level of success as when Matt was starting. Just earlier in the season we weren't deploying a two QB punch yet. I have little doubt that if Matt had stayed healthy that in the back half of the season that we would have started prepping for the two QB tandem for the playoffs. I really, earnestly, believe this was the plan all along and when Matt went down we went into survival mode for a while until we could find another game manager QB. Like it or not this boring O was the plan all along, and it was the plan because it works in the colder weather.

2 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Zach has been literally playing the same play book with about the exact same level of success as when Matt was starting. Just earlier in the season we weren't deploying a two QB punch yet. I have little doubt that if Matt had stayed healthy that in the back half of the season that we would have started prepping for the two QB tandem for the playoffs. I really, earnestly, believe this was the plan all along and when Matt went down we went into survival mode for a while until we could find another game manager QB. Like it or not this boring O was the plan all along, and it was the plan because it works in the colder weather.

Yeh,  I'm just sayin to the casual fan the timing of the QB situation and the playoff win and all of a sudden the Bombers are exciting to some more people..... we all have been waiting for this to unfold. 

I'd like to believe that those of you with 20/20 hindsight knew all along that this was the master plan but I ain't buying it. I think that if Nichols hadn't been injured we'd be suffering through the dump offs, throws out of bounds, and sacks after holding the ball too long just like in years past. I think it's far more likely that after being forced to use Streveler this season that it was determined that he had some usefulness used in tandem with the new guy, Collaros, and that's what we're seeing now. 

This West final is shaping up into a similar situation as last years West Semi when we went into Sask and ran for 201 yards and held a 5 min T.O.P advantage. But I think this year this team is better built for this playoff style...Harris is not as banged up..Nichols was playing with a couple ailments, and our defense wasn't as good as this year, and we didn't have Jefferson which will be huge

I'd be shocked if we didn't roll up the same amount of rushing yards, if not more as going in this year we have a motivated QB whom I am certain wants to stick it to the Rider's and his ability to push the ball downfield will open up more running lanes, and once the ground and pound gets going in a game it is really hard to stop it and it's really demoralizing on a defense..

We are as healthy as you could want, save for Strev's foot but that didn't seem to stop him, almost spurned him on even more, so if the guys lay it all on the line we win...because across the board there is more talent (and depth) wearing blue than Green and thats not just looking through blue glasses..anyone who thinks otherwise isn't a very good judge of talent

CGY was set to take on Harris and shut him down, and then we didn't go to Harris, so they adjusted at halftime, and we brought in Streveler... yup, CGY got outcoached.  And Bo mentioned that the D gave looks and then fell back into coverages he couldn't read quick enough.  Brilliant of Hall to take advantage of Mitchell's quick release by preventing him from making reads presnap.  By the time he could make a read, the ball was already out and heading to a Bomber...

Wonder what will be in play for this week... will be fun regardless.

3 hours ago, J5V said:

I'd like to believe that those of you with 20/20 hindsight knew all along that this was the master plan but I ain't buying it. I think that if Nichols hadn't been injured we'd be suffering through the dump offs, throws out of bounds, and sacks after holding the ball too long just like in years past. I think it's far more likely that after being forced to use Streveler this season that it was determined that he had some usefulness used in tandem with the new guy, Collaros, and that's what we're seeing now. 

Feel free to doubt, but I've posted this since the beginning of the season.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

This West final is shaping up into a similar situation as last years West Semi when we went into Sask and ran for 201 yards and held a 5 min T.O.P advantage. But I think this year this team is better built for this playoff style...Harris is not as banged up..Nichols was playing with a couple ailments, and our defense wasn't as good as this year, and we didn't have Jefferson which will be huge

I'd be shocked if we didn't roll up the same amount of rushing yards, if not more as going in this year we have a motivated QB whom I am certain wants to stick it to the Rider's and his ability to push the ball downfield will open up more running lanes, and once the ground and pound gets going in a game it is really hard to stop it and it's really demoralizing on a defense..

We are as healthy as you could want, save for Strev's foot but that didn't seem to stop him, almost spurned him on even more, so if the guys lay it all on the line we win...because across the board there is more talent (and depth) wearing blue than Green and thats not just looking through blue glasses..anyone who thinks otherwise isn't a very good judge of talent

I agree. If our team matches their intensity we beat them a vast majority of the time. I believe we are a better football club overall than they are. We need to execute and if we do we have a very strong chance of winning.

On 2019-11-10 at 9:14 PM, Old Bomber Fan said:

I will say that this was the first time I have seen the bombers adjust at half time. So for that I will give them all kudos for it. With that said it might be a little to late? Not sure. I will only congratulate them for it and hope they can do the same next week, especially when things are not going great. Well done team!

1st time they made adjustments..... right.  Bo said the Bomber D was the best in the league at adjustments.  I'll try one of the best in the biz over a forum full of experts. LOL

17 minutes ago, do or die said:

When Streveler, Harris and Demski line up together in hybrid.....pretty tough for a D to run keys on anyone

Exactly...and proven versus Calgary..Defense was influenced by Harris fake on Demski TD, And the possibilty Strev kept it, and we saw the result...same with his 24 yard run for TD in fourth..CGY had to basically pick the poison on staying with Streveler, or Harris on the outside pitch....and at times with either of those guys, they don't go down easy, and rarely at first contact and takes a concerted multiple guy effort..so even if they pick the right guy, it's usually after netting positive yardage

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Exactly...and proven versus Calgary..Defense was influenced by Harris fake on Demski TD, And the possibilty Strev kept it, and we saw the result...same with his 24 yard run for TD in fourth..CGY had to basically pick the poison on staying with Streveler, or Harris on the outside pitch....and at times with either of those guys, they don't go down easy, and rarely at first contact and takes a concerted multiple guy effort..so even if they pick the right guy, it's usually after netting positive yardage

I think the Ruffriders will see a heavy dose of misdirection on Sunday and old Chuck Strong out of the Gate but not much for Stamina Hughes will be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off until his old legs give out on him

Edited by gcn11

3 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Yea...when AC Leonard is your best DE after Labour Day it speaks volumes to how over rated their line is.

as well as their O-line..How Dan Clarke got the all star nod is baffling...he is the most nonathletic and immobile center in the league and gets turn stilled more than anyone...that one really threw me for a loop...and it's not just a Rider hate thing....he's brutal

Watch him exclusively in the WF and watch him bumble and stumble around out there...if getting in the way of things and falling down and tripping when in the second level constitutes being an all-star then yeah he nails it...but man o man

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

as well as their O-line..How Dan Clarke got the all star nod is baffling...he is the most nonathletic and immobile center in the league and gets turn stilled more than anyone...that one really threw me for a loop...and it's not just a Rider hate thing....he's brutal

Watch him exclusively in the WF and watch him bumble and stumble around out there...if getting in the way of things and falling down and tripping when in the second level constitutes being an all-star then yeah he nails it...but man o man

About 3-4 of their all star nods were head scratchers. Edem over Metchie….saaaayy what? Jon Ryan? Worst punter in the West this season....well maybe better than the Aussie but definitely not as good as anyone else.

Edited by gcn11