Jump to content

2019-20 CFL Offseason


JCon
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What's going to happen to all the 1 year deals if the CFL doesn't play? Does that mean they are null & void if players don't get paid or the season is cancelled? Personally, I hate the 1 year deals so maybe a change in contract length will come out of all of this Covid-19 crisis. 

I think it isn’t just an impact on players with one year deals. These are all contractual employees you have to believe that any adjustments to games played and prorated salaries likely voids any contract. That has to be a concern moving forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A favourite of mine was Bomber fullback Bob "Hoss" Houmard. If anyone remembers his style of play, a big 235 lb straight ahead fullback  then the nickname sure fit.  I remember Jack Matheson used to love the guy. Another personal favourite of mine was fullback Jerome Bettis who was called The Bus. 

Another of the nicknames I miss are the defensive line Front Fours.  Many years ago, the Ottawa Rough Riders had Capital Punishment. The Stampeders had The Four Trees. The Eskimos had Alberta Crude. In the NFL, the LA Rams had The  Fearsome Foursome & The Vikings had The Purple People Eaters. Pittsburgh Steelers had The Steel Curtain that originally was only the name of their front four but later encompassed their entire defense. The Miami Dolphins had The Killer Bees to describe their DL & Chicago had The Monsters Of The Midway. 

In the CFL, the Bombers coined the nickname of The Hogs for their offensive line a decade before the Redskins called theirs by the same name. Bill Frank was the Head Hog.  Too bad nicknaming offensive & defensive lines have gone out of style. It really added to the games. The media & fans would love it when they'd talk about Capital Punishment vs The Hogs. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2020-04-04 at 2:54 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

A favourite of mine was Bomber fullback Bob "Hoss" Houmard. If anyone remembers his style of play, a big 235 lb straight ahead fullback  then the nickname sure fit.  I remember Jack Matheson used to love the guy. Another personal favourite of mine was fullback Jerome Bettis who was called The Bus. 

Another of the nicknames I miss are the defensive line Front Fours.  Many years ago, the Ottawa Rough Riders had Capital Punishment. The Stampeders had The Four Trees. The Eskimos had Alberta Crude. In the NFL, the LA Rams had The  Fearsome Foursome & The Vikings had The Purple People Eaters. Pittsburgh Steelers had The Steel Curtain that originally was only the name of their front four but later encompassed their entire defense. The Miami Dolphins had The Killer Bees to describe their DL & Chicago had The Monsters Of The Midway. 

In the CFL, the Bombers coined the nickname of The Hogs for their offensive line a decade before the Redskins called theirs by the same name. Bill Frank was the Head Hog.  Too bad nicknaming offensive & defensive lines have gone out of style. It really added to the games. The media & fans would love it when they'd talk about Capital Punishment vs The Hogs. 

In the mid-70's, the Bomber d-line was so inept that Jack Matheson named them "four on the floor". Loved it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2020-04-03 at 5:57 PM, Noeller said:

TSN going to show some CFL content during the COVID shut down........

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-encores-on-tsn-schedule-1.1463140

This amazing!! So pumped. BUT, they show may 8th is gonna be Wpg vs SSK from July 27th 2007. I thought that was odd, as I don't remember that game....when I looked it up via wikipedia it says it was Wpg vs Ham... Who's right? 

And the next week is WPG vs BC from 2012... If it's WPG vs Ham from 2007 (38-16 W) and WPG vs BC from 2012 (33-16 L) seems like some odd games to re-show..? I don't remember the games myself, but they seem like real stinkers (aside from the bombers winning the Ham game.) You'd think they'd show only the exciting games.

Edited by Bigblue204
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2020-04-03 at 9:24 PM, JCon said:

Who can afford to take a year off work? I wouldn't be surprised if we lost a very large number of players who decide to move on. 

The thing is this isn’t a CFL problem, this is a worldwide issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if most players have nonessential jobs and aren’t working in their other fields right now regardless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

The thing is this isn’t a CFL problem, this is a worldwide issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if most players have nonessential jobs and aren’t working in their other fields right now regardless. 

Yep, COVID-19 is definitely what dashed my professional football career... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Riderfans can use that excuse for yet another year without a cup....

 

But they won't...they'll come up with some convoluted theory about them finishing first in the west last year so they should be awarded the Grey Cup by forfeit while totally ignoring that Winnipeg won the Cup and Hamilton finished with a better record.

Edited by GCn20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

But they won't...they'll come up with some convoluted theory about them finishing first in the west last year so they should be awarded the Grey Cup by forfeit while totally ignoring that Winnipeg won the Cup and Hamilton finished with a better record.

And after Booch explains it to them ....they will resort to covid something something cost them...lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...