2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

15 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

The CFL has to figure out a better model for building revenue and retaining players on it's own. 

Exactly. 
That’s why discussion is necessary from fans, players, GMs, etc to get the ball rolling. 
It certainly doesn’t look like we will be having a season, and right now, that might be best.
The CFL and CFLPA can open up new dialogue over the coming months, and maybe, just maybe, the Gov. will be there to assist in the future.

Whatever happens, most everything that is discussed should be made available to the fans, the heart of the League, even if it takes new involvement at the League office.

52 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Exactly. 
That’s why discussion is necessary from fans, players, GMs, etc to get the ball rolling. 
It certainly doesn’t look like we will be having a season, and right now, that might be best.
The CFL and CFLPA can open up new dialogue over the coming months, and maybe, just maybe, the Gov. will be there to assist in the future.

Whatever happens, most everything that is discussed should be made available to the fans, the heart of the League, even if it takes new involvement at the League office.

The CFL and CFLPA most develop a better working relationship-partnership. This latest example of what appears to be an adversarial relationship is simply another example of how unproductive it continues to be. 

You're both bang on about the CFL and CFLPA. I'm sure both have some responsibility in how fractured the relationship is, but, it has to stop. This is a pro league teetering on the edge. It's collaborate or die really. 

Ambrosie certainly deserves the criticism he's getting, but, I still think his CFL 2.0 global player idea had some potential as a revenue source pre-COVID. Untapped potential TV, streaming fan bases if a few global players actually became CFL stars.

• 3 weeks later...

The Canadian Football League, which has canceled its 2020 season, is allowing players to opt out of their contracts starting Monday, Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports. It will free those who accept the opt out a chance to play in the NFL this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/21/after-canceling-season-cfl-allowing-players-to-opt-out-monday/

Players were informed Friday night...

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Some clarity on today's opt-out period and how it'll relate to teams retaining players' rights.

Two things I think that are important to the health of the CFL are providing opportunities for players to pursue NFL invites and having longer, more guaranteed contracts so that players are not FAs every year.  

On 2020-07-31 at 11:10 AM, M.Silverback said:

You're both bang on about the CFL and CFLPA. I'm sure both have some responsibility in how fractured the relationship is, but, it has to stop. This is a pro league teetering on the edge. It's collaborate or die really. 

Ambrosie certainly deserves the criticism he's getting, but, I still think his CFL 2.0 global player idea had some potential as a revenue source pre-COVID. Untapped potential TV, streaming fan bases if a few global players actually became CFL stars.

Yup, The 2.0 hate is short sighted if you ask me.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Two things I think that are important to the health of the CFL are providing opportunities for players to pursue NFL invites and having longer, more guaranteed contracts so that players are not FAs every year.  

I want to see some concrete proposals by both the union and the CFL regarding the length of player’s contracts and provisions allowed for being released. 
The NFL loves the system we are in right now. We develop, they step in and ****** them  away...for nothing. That’s not right.

Will longer contracts work? Will some sort of guarantees work? A combination?

Fan recognition is vital for each team and for the league as a whole, but there’s so much player movement that fans are leery of buying player jerseys.

That’s not how it used to be. 

Get to work CFL, CFLPA, now’s your chance to fix what is a league problem.

Get ‘er done.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

CFL Opt-Outs Aug 24
OL Dakota Shepley,

LB Wynton McManis,

QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson,

K Sergio Castillo,

Rec. Ricky Collins Jr,

LB Deon Lacey,

P Richie Leone

Any others?

nobody on that list has any hope in hell of sticking anywhere, let alone getting a shot this fall with all that is going on...maybe castillo but thats about it

1 hour ago, Booch said:

nobody on that list has any hope in hell of sticking anywhere, let alone getting a shot this fall with all that is going on...maybe castillo but thats about it

What?? Are you telling me there isn't a market down south for a bizarre 32 year old journeyman quarterback?? Pshaw you say! He is a package deal though, comes with a bunch of ancestors.

For the first time since the 2020 CFL season was cancelled, new Alouettes owner Gary Stern has released a statement on the future of the CFL.

We must all stop now and not get into the blame game, but look into the future into the ever changing world and adapt our league to the new world.

What is easy is that above all we agree that there is a need and a great place for our very unique league.

I sincerely hope that all of you will look at the good the CFL has done over the years and give us some time and support as we grow it and make it even better.

I assure you all nine teams wanted to play football in 2020 and want to play football in 2021 and in the future.

The CFL model needs some changes and 2020 has made that clear.
Our league is here to stay, it will not be collapsing nor disappearing. Please listen to each of your teams and give all the support you can.

We are here to listen, to change and come back stronger and better than ever.

Thank you,
Gary Stern
https://3downnation.com/2020/08/26/new-alouettes-owner-gary-stern-issues-first-statement-since-the-cancellation-of-the-cfl-season/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Two things immediately would help the CFL I believe, as far as the fans are concerned.  One, get rid of 1 year deals. Two, get rid of Unrestricted Free Agency. The 2 biggest complaints by fans are the fact that they don't know the players on their teams anymore as free agents come & go. So, it's hard to invest in a player as a fan when he could be gone the following season. Why should anyone buy a jersey for nearly $300 when it will be obsolete the day the current season is over? I won't. If I buy a jersey it will only have the name of players in the past like Reaves, Jonas, Murphy, Frank, Clements, Hufnagel, Raimey, Ploen, Lewis, Brock, West, Hill, Minnick, Browne, etc. No current players.  I'd love to have a #5 Willie Jefferson jersey but where will he be after 2021?  Player movement affects merch sales. So stem the tide of free agency by restricting it. Make a team pay for actually signing a UFA. If the CFL does that then I believe that'll go a long way to rebuilding some crumbling fanbases in the CFL.

Edited by SpeedFlex27