2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

Considering he *conveniently* found a high paying job and extended with us.... it wasn't a secret that his family moved here.   Rider fans were crying up a storm that he had outside influences that may have played a part in him staying with Winnipeg.  Which is funny considering Rider players in the past have had kickbacks from local businesses in the past.

With 220,000 people there aren't the same career opportunities in Regina as there are in Winnipeg. Most CFL players don't want to play in Regina. Maybe for 5 months they will but not year round. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

With 220,000 people there aren't the same career opportunities in Regina as there are in Winnipeg. Most CFL players don't want to play in Regina. Maybe for 5 months they will but not year round. 

Tell LaBatte that when he didn’t resign in Winnipeg and went to Regina. There have been side deals all over the place Montreal was notorious for them. Wetenhal’s insurance company paid money that the CFL auditor couldn’t track because it was an outside private company. The term is work arounds

7 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Tell LaBatte that when he didn’t resign in Winnipeg and went to Regina. There have been side deals all over the place Montreal was notorious for them. Wetenhal’s insurance company paid money that the CFL auditor couldn’t track because it was an outside private company. The term is work arounds

Labatte was an all star & hometown Saskatchewan boy. A CFL team can't give special deals to every player. So, then it comes down to the local job economy.  Clubs will have connections. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm trying to say the Riders have given players extra money under the table from local companies. 

It's happened in Winnipeg to a smaller degree also but in Regina they need to do this otherwise why would a player choose that city over all of the other places?

See the source image

Sad to report that Ted Gerela, the first soccer style kicker in the CFL passed away on July 20th in Chilliwack, BC.  He played for the Lions from 1967-73. He was the West's ROTY in 1967 & was the leading scorer in the CFL in 1968 with 115 points. His 30 field goals that season was a pro football record at the time. He was the first to do it.  Gerela was a trailblazer as most soccer style kickers were looked upon at the time as strange. They could kick further than a straight ahead kicker but their accuracy was a problem. Gerela's success helped pave the way for others to follow. His brother Roy played 11 seasons for the Steelers & won 3 Super Bowls. Ted Gerela's son Ted Jr had an unsuccessful tryout with the Lions. He was a 7th round pick in the 1993 draft as a linebacker.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sad to report that Ted Gerela, the first soccer style kicker in the CFL passed away on July 20th in Chilliwack, BC.  He played for the Lions from 1967-73. He was the West's ROTY in 1967 & was the leading scorer in the CFL in 1968 with 115 points. His 30 field goals that season was a pro football record at the time. He was the first to do it.  Gerela was a trailblazer as most soccer style kickers were looked upon at the time as strange. They could kick further than a straight ahead kicker but their accuracy was a problem. Gerela's success helped pave the way for others to follow. His brother Roy played 11 seasons for the Steelers & won 3 Super Bowls. Ted Gerela's son Ted Jr had an unsuccessful tryout with the Lions. He was a 7th round pick in the 1993 draft as a linebacker.

Sorry to hear that... I find older content like this really interesting though, it's neat to know a bit about the giants that future players stood on...

If you're interested in other trailblazers that experienced an uphill battle, here's a neat video about Tom Dempsey, the toe-less kicker that held the longest field goal record for close to 40 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jxD6lq1NTw

3 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sorry to hear that... I find older content like this really interesting though, it's neat to know a bit about the giants that future players stood on...

If you're interested in other trailblazers that experienced an uphill battle, here's a neat video about Tom Dempsey, the toe-less kicker that held the longest field goal record for close to 40 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jxD6lq1NTw

When he kicked that 63 yard FG the entire football world went nuts. I remember that as clear as day.I didn't see the play until the next day on ABC's MNF with Howard Cosell praising the kick in his own unique & inimatable way back in 1970. It was also the same season where 48 year old George Blanda of the Oakland Raiders was winning games as the starting qb & kicker after the starter Daryle Lamonica was lost for the season with injury.

blanda-1970-12202013.jpg

See the source image

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

In a sport where the off season seems to go on forever under normal circumstances, and we go from week to week searching for something to fixate on, we get this dam’penic.
We’re cursed for the longest off season ever.

Let's just hope it isn't permanent. It is the longest season going back to war time a hundred years ago but....

WHO GOT THE CUP? WE GOT THE CUP! WHO GOT THE CUP? WE GOT THE CUP! WHO GOT THE CUP? WE GOT THE CUP!!

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Let's just hope it isn't permanent. It is the longest season going back to war time a hundred years ago but....

WHO GOT THE CUP? WE GOT THE CUP! WHO GOT THE CUP? WE GOT THE CUP! WHO GOT THE CUP? WE GOT THE CUP!!

I was just thinking this... can you imagine how excruciating this off season would be if we had not won the cup... I don't even want to think about it...

16 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

A shortened season is a win-win for a pessimist like me. There is no downside!

Bombers win the Grey Cup? Back to back champs baby! Any other team wins the Grey Cup? Giant asterix for "winning" the covid cup. Who cares?

What I find particularly intriguing about a shortened season is the increased chance of a team going undefeated and Grey Cup champs. As mentioned, there would be a giant * beside it, but it'd still be kind of cool.

Solomon Elimimian

Farhan not sure who your source is but with MANY issues unresolved The PA and league are NOT close to a deal. Did your source tell you the League failed to meet with PA last Friday? I won’t speak on what football ops are being directed to do but WE havnt seen it.
Edited by TBURGESS

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Solomon Elimimian

Farhan not sure who your source is but with MANY issues unresolved The PA and league are NOT close to a deal. Did your source tell you the League failed to meet with PA last Friday? I won’t speak on what football ops are being directed to do but WE havnt seen it.

It would be refreshing if media...all media not just sports media got back to reporting facts and stopped speculating and circulating rumours. It clearly serves no positive purpose on any front.

5 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

What I find particularly intriguing about a shortened season is the increased chance of a team going undefeated and Grey Cup champs. As mentioned, there would be a giant * beside it, but it'd still be kind of cool.

If the played & the Bombers won the Grey Cup, they can put a thousand asterisks around it & I wouldn't care as we'd still be champs.

Edited by SpeedFlex27