2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Unfortunately, we need reporters like Dunk who reports on the CFL first & doesn't appear to be using it as a temporary gig to becoming a Jays, Raptors or Leafs beat writer. He raises a few hackles but that is okay. 

I'm at the point where I don't care if we have a season or not. Clown show ownership & lack of leadership from the league along with Players who don't trust anything the CFL does is a bad mix for anything going forward seriously & to be successful. I read that the CFL upped the salaries from 33% to 50% to get the players to sign. Why the dicking around? They should have come to the table with the most honest & best proposal right from the start so as to not waste time . But that's not the CFL's way. 

That's not anybody's way. Have you ever negotiated a contract with someone? It doesn't work like a Mr. Burns bet on softball:

Rich Man: Would you care to bet a million dollars.
Mr. Burns: Oh, if we're going to bet, why not make it interesting?
Rich Man: What, a million dollars isn't interesting to you?
Mr. Burns: Oh, did you say a million? I'm sorry, my mind was elsewhere. I thought you'd start with a small amount, then we'd slowly bait each other, and . . . well, you know how it goes. Yes, certainly, a million will be fine.

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That's not anybody's way. Have you ever negotiated a contract with someone? It doesn't work like a Mr. Burns bet on softball:

Rich Man: Would you care to bet a million dollars.
Mr. Burns: Oh, if we're going to bet, why not make it interesting?
Rich Man: What, a million dollars isn't interesting to you?
Mr. Burns: Oh, did you say a million? I'm sorry, my mind was elsewhere. I thought you'd start with a small amount, then we'd slowly bait each other, and . . . well, you know how it goes. Yes, certainly, a million will be fine.

Shortened season. Pandemic.  Different times. Quit the BS & get it done. Nope it just has to be a clown show. 

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Shortened season. Pandemic.  Different times. Quit the BS & get it done. Nope it just has to be a clown show. 

Any time the first offer is snapped up without a back and forth negotiation, it's one of two things: 1) the buyer is desperate, shows their hand that they are desperate and is overpaying, or 2) the seller has undervalued their product and/or shown their ignorance of the market demand, and showed their hand by making the first offer without assessing either of those factors. Any good negotiation will avoid these two pitfalls, and often a low ball/high ball back and forth will offer some insight into some of the unknown questions like "How desperate is the other side/who else is my competition/what is my alternative to buying or selling?". The players are in the same time crunch as the owners, and are basically saying they deserve more than 1/3 their normal pay for playing only 1/3 the normal season. Where's the blowback for their BS? Or is it just your pre-set hatred of Ambrosie that makes this (like everything) all his fault, always?

31 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Any time the first offer is snapped up without a back and forth negotiation, it's one of two things: 1) the buyer is desperate, shows their hand that they are desperate and is overpaying, or 2) the seller has undervalued their product and/or shown their ignorance of the market demand, and showed their hand by making the first offer without assessing either of those factors. Any good negotiation will avoid these two pitfalls, and often a low ball/high ball back and forth will offer some insight into some of the unknown questions like "How desperate is the other side/who else is my competition/what is my alternative to buying or selling?". The players are in the same time crunch as the owners, and are basically saying they deserve more than 1/3 their normal pay for playing only 1/3 the normal season. Where's the blowback for their BS? Or is it just your pre-set hatred of Ambrosie that makes this (like everything) all his fault, always?

Always.  At least I'm honest.   :)    The day he leaves I will do a little dance, pour myself a stiff drink & have a toast to his demise. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm at the point where I don't care if we have a season or not. Clown show ownership & lack of leadership from the league along with Players who don't trust anything the CFL does is a bad mix for anything going forward seriously & to be successful. I read that the CFL upped the salaries from 33% to 50% to get the players to sign. Why the dicking around? They should have come to the table with the most honest & best proposal right from the start so as to not waste time . But that's not the CFL's way. 

As is often the case, I think it really just comes down to money, unfortunately. Having a season could provide quite a bit of positive exposure for the CFL, if done right. If the NFL isn't considering operating, it could really help get some more market share down south. I agree though that they've really dropped the ball on this right from the proposal to the Feds, and arguably even before that.

As for a season, I'm also somewhat indifferent, I'd love to see them play but the health risks are too much and even then, even if they were to hypothetically allow fans to watch, it'd be 10,000 at most - all with masks sprinkled throughout the stands in a venue with 30,000 capacity. To me that's just not what I'd consider a fun "outing". Also, sure, there would be fans for Bomber games, but what about the rest of the teams? If Winnipeg is a hub, who is seriously going to watch a BC/Toronto game live in Winnipeg?

I just really don't get the player mentality that it's not worth it for 1/3 the pay for 1/3 the season.... if that's the case it's not worth it for 100% of the season. 

if I were an American player I'd be stoked to get out of that disease ridden **** hole country and into a place that is in much better shape. 

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I just really don't get the player mentality that it's not worth it for 1/3 the pay for 1/3 the season.... if that's the case it's not worth it for 100% of the season. 

if I were an American player I'd be stoked to get out of that disease ridden **** hole country and into a place that is in much better shape. 

They probably have no idea...

55 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

As is often the case, I think it really just comes down to money, unfortunately. Having a season could provide quite a bit of positive exposure for the CFL, if done right. If the NFL isn't considering operating, it could really help get some more market share down south. I agree though that they've really dropped the ball on this right from the proposal to the Feds, and arguably even before that.

As for a season, I'm also somewhat indifferent, I'd love to see them play but the health risks are too much and even then, even if they were to hypothetically allow fans to watch, it'd be 10,000 at most - all with masks sprinkled throughout the stands in a venue with 30,000 capacity. To me that's just not what I'd consider a fun "outing". Also, sure, there would be fans for Bomber games, but what about the rest of the teams? If Winnipeg is a hub, who is seriously going to watch a BC/Toronto game live in Winnipeg?

Better to go with no fans. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

talking with some I kinow they can't wait to escape...several have stated they considered staying this off-season...but didn't...and are now kicking themselves

16 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

disagree with the first bolded... if wearing a mask in a sparsely crowded stadium can get me watching some live Bombers football... I'm all in!

completely agree with the second bolded... maybe in my younger days with no kids or other responsibilities I'd watch two random teams play... but certainly not right now.

15 hours ago, Booch said:

talking with some I know they can't wait to escape...several have stated they considered staying this off-season...but didn't...and are now kicking themselves

I saw Adam Bighill and his family at Assiniboine park last weekend... I think he's in Wpg full time with that finance job he has in the off season...

PA sent out a memo to its members today, saying that there will be another meeting today to talk about health and safety and "Hub City" life. Says there hasn't been any meaningful talk about $$$ because the feds haven't come back with any word on funding. Until the league knows if there will be government money, they can't talk to the PA about amendments to the CBA for a shortened season. They're expecting this to carry on into next week, but they are working together. Riders PA rep Brett Lauther says they've got more work done in the last 6 days than they have in the last 4 months....

5 hours ago, bearpants said:

I saw Adam Bighill and his family at Assiniboine park last weekend... I think he's in Wpg full time with that finance job he has in the off season...

Yeah he is here full time..used to see him at gym everyday before covid shut it down..

I don't think it's news at all that Bighill has been here full time. I mean, when it was first announced that players were allowed to return to IGF, it was WIDELY reported that Bighill was the first one in there. Lots of ink on that. 

as with pretty much everything he does, this is a really great piece from Ed Tait...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/07/24/first-10-cfl-loyalist/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The video he shares at the end of it probably hits home for a lot of us here in the MBB community. We bicker about a lot of things, but we all truly love the CFL. It is our league. 

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't think it's news at all that Bighill has been here full time. I mean, when it was first announced that players were allowed to return to IGF, it was WIDELY reported that Bighill was the first one in there. Lots of ink on that. 

Considering he *conveniently* found a high paying job and extended with us.... it wasn't a secret that his family moved here.   Rider fans were crying up a storm that he had outside influences that may have played a part in him staying with Winnipeg.  Which is funny considering Rider players in the past have had kickbacks from local businesses in the past.