2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Sure changed his tune.

Exactly the same panic and hand-wringing as last year (in which I participated...) - a deal will get done, there was never any doubt.

I wonder how they might resolve report and pass bonuses? Reports have Some QBs due upwards of 400K of their money.

3 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I wonder how they might resolve report and pass bonuses? Reports have Some QBs due upwards of 400K of their money.

Couldn't you just adjust it based on the number of games played? Take whatever the regular season amount was and divide it by three (assuming 6 of 18 games played in shortened season)... It'd be harder for QBs to overcome one bad game but, I mean that's really the best they could do.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Couldn't you just adjust it based on the number of games played? Take whatever the regular season amount was and divide it by three (assuming 6 of 18 games played in shortened season)... It'd be harder for QBs to overcome one bad game but, I mean that's really the best they could do.

I guess the issue is these are the marquee players the league and teams need and are they going to suck it up. The other issue becomes I believe any new CBA is not just for this year and what are the carryovers that the league wants to impose on the players given the financial impact this season has on league revenues?

15 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I guess the issue is these are the marquee players the league and teams need and are they going to suck it up. The other issue becomes I believe any new CBA is not just for this year and what are the carryovers that the league wants to impose on the players given the financial impact this season has on league revenues?

Sure, but I would think that of the two group, the owners are in better a bargaining position. If a QB wants to walk off the job, owners could still find someone else willing to step up and play QB for the reduced rates. Does get to a tipping point though, where the talent at QB (or any other position for that matter) is so bad that the owners have to pony up.

As for the CBA - I agree, if I was on the CFLPA, I'd be negotiating a shorter-term deal, simply given the really weird situation COVID has caused.

I'm with Farhan....my optimism changes by the hour. Ha ha. I'm feeling excited, tho, that there is "progress". Things seem to be happening, and as I've said all along, when Wade Miller says something is going to happen, it happens. That man is a mob boss if ever there was one in the CFL...

4 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sure, but I would think that of the two group, the owners are in better a bargaining position. If a QB wants to walk off the job, owners could still find someone else willing to step up and play QB for the reduced rates. Does get to a tipping point though, where the talent at QB (or any other position for that matter) is so bad that the owners have to pony up.

As for the CBA - I agree, if I was on the CFLPA, I'd be negotiating a shorter-term deal, simply given the really weird situation COVID has caused.

Easier said then done....just say you have 3 of 9 of the marquee QBs decide they want their report and pass bonuses or they sit it out....there is a serious drop off in those teams offensive production....tough sell.

16 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Easier said then done....just say you have 3 of 9 of the marquee QBs decide they want their report and pass bonuses or they sit it out....there is a serious drop off in those teams offensive production....tough sell.

Sure, labor disputes enable the QBs and other players to have some bargaining power, but most of the QBs in the CFL reside in the USA. Since they don't reside in Canada they aren't eligible for CERB... there is a lot of people hurting in the US for jobs, especially football players where life's become a standstill.

There would absolutely be a drop off in offensive output, my point was that in this case the QBs have more to lose (their livelihood) as opposed to the owners. Owners have more viable substitutes such as using their backup QB, airlifting in a new one, or even trading for one from another CFL team. I'll concede that offensive output would likely decline, but I just think the QBs don't have as much bargaining power as is currently perceived.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sure, labor disputes enable the QBs and other players to have some bargaining power, but most of the QBs in the CFL reside in the USA. Since they don't reside in Canada they aren't eligible for CERB... there is a lot of people hurting in the US for jobs, especially football players where life's become a standstill.

There would absolutely be a drop off in offensive output, my point was that in this case the QBs have more to lose (their livelihood) as opposed to the owners. Owners have more viable substitutes such as using their backup QB, airlifting in a new one, or even trading for one from another CFL team. I'll concede that offensive output would likely decline, but I just think the QBs don't have as much bargaining power as is currently perceived.

A couple of those poor souls made 500k plus lat season...no tag day for them. A slight drop off....seriously...How many back up QBs can you even name....never mind want to start?  I guess time will tell.

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

A couple of those poor souls made 500k plus lat season...no tag day for them. A slight drop off....seriously...How many back up QBs can you even name....never mind want to start?  I guess time will tell.

As soon as one problem gets resolved or any positive news comes out, you find a negative twist...

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

As soon as one problem gets resolved or any positive news comes out, you find a negative twist...

I guess that’s simply an indication of the complexity of the situation. No simple solution....no quick fix....just reality.

Unfortunately, we need reporters like Dunk who reports on the CFL first & doesn't appear to be using it as a temporary gig to becoming a Jays, Raptors or Leafs beat writer. He raises a few hackles but that is okay. 

I'm at the point where I don't care if we have a season or not. Clown show ownership & lack of leadership from the league along with Players who don't trust anything the CFL does is a bad mix for anything going forward seriously & to be successful. I read that the CFL upped the salaries from 33% to 50% to get the players to sign. Why the dicking around? They should have come to the table with the most honest & best proposal right from the start so as to not waste time . But that's not the CFL's way. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27