2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

Just now, Starman115 said:

Based on what I've heard recently, I'm reasonably confident there will be vaccines available at some point in 2021. Hopefully in the early part of the year.

But another problem remains. I've heard that there are a lot of people in the U.S. and Canada already stating they are not going to take any vaccine, regardless. Possibly more than 20% of the population. If this is the case, the the virus will always be around to some degree, and it will be very difficult to predict how much risk/danger that poses to large gatherings such as sporting events.

Seriously? Just put all the anti-vaxxers on a shuttle to the sun like that episode of The Simpsons...

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

There's no question, based on how people are acting now, COVID will continue to rage well into 2021. I'm not one that believes "livelihoods are as important as lives", but I think there's enough Con governments out there who will bend over backwards to make sure the economy doesn't completely grind to a halt. 

How is it 'raging' in Canada though?  I've been in Manitoba, BC and Yukon and yes restrictions are fairly 'loosely' interpreted but there's no outbreaks... other than Hutterite colonies, meat packing plants, etc...

We somehow now consider a handul of isolated cases as a 'disaster' about to overwhelm our health care system... it just so bizarre.

Even in Quebec and Ontario, most cases are under 40 which is super low risk... and its still very very low numbers in relation to the general populace.

My question is 'how many lives vs livelihoods' is in your equation... 1:1000?  1:100,000?

9 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Seriously? Just put all the anti-vaxxers on a shuttle to the sun like that episode of The Simpsons...

I wish it was that easy. If you look at the % that are still supporting Trump despite the absolute disaster he's been handling the pandemic, and how they adhere to conspiracy theories, it's not a complete surprise.

1 hour ago, Starman115 said:

Based on what I've heard recently, I'm reasonably confident there will be vaccines available at some point in 2021. Hopefully in the early part of the year.

But another problem remains. I've heard that there are a lot of people in the U.S. and Canada already stating they are not going to take any vaccine, regardless. Possibly more than 20% of the population. If this is the case, the the virus will always be around to some degree, and it will be very difficult to predict how much risk/danger that poses to large gatherings such as sporting events.

I have no problem with a vaccine. I'd even volunteer for a clinical trial.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

How is it 'raging' in Canada though?  I've been in Manitoba, BC and Yukon and yes restrictions are fairly 'loosely' interpreted but there's no outbreaks... other than Hutterite colonies, meat packing plants, etc...

We somehow now consider a handul of isolated cases as a 'disaster' about to overwhelm our health care system... it just so bizarre.

Even in Quebec and Ontario, most cases are under 40 which is super low risk... and its still very very low numbers in relation to the general populace.

My question is 'how many lives vs livelihoods' is in your equation... 1:1000?  1:100,000?

You'll get your answer in about 6 months with winter fast approaching. 

You only have to look at how easily spikes occur in places like BC where it was totally under control and now is moving in the wrong direction. Even Manitoba where things were going so great and then boom, an outbreak.
That’s the problem.

Even if things are looking top notch at the moment, it all could change dramatically because we still do not know enough about enough to put it to rest.

So, be safe, be careful, wear a mask, and carry on the best you can.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

ah yes the second wave bogeyman... always the answer when there is no answer

I wouldn't consider a 2nd wave as something outlandish and fictional and made up as the bogeyman.   That's getting a bit "cocky" in attitude in thinking that come flu season numbers won't shoot up. 

11 hours ago, Floyd said:

ah yes the second wave bogeyman... always the answer when there is no answer

If previous pandemics are any indication, a second wave seems pretty inevitable. It's a real concern that needs to be considered. Hell, some parts of the world haven't even managed to get through the first wave.

How is it a bogeyman?

A couple of comments. As far as those that won't get vaccinated, I think it will be way, way less than %20 in Canada.I would be shocked if it was 10. As far as a second wave, if numbers go up we will do what we did at the start.Use Canadian commonsense, be calm and do what's right.If we have to back off on opening , so be it. I hate seeing the idiot behavior and rhetoric creep across the border worse than the disease.

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

Whats happening in Florida is it still first wave or second wave?

I.D.K. but I’m just going to say, I didn’t see any meaningful lockdown, so, they’re riding the first wave. And it’s a big wave.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If previous pandemics are any indication, a second wave seems pretty inevitable. It's a real concern that needs to be considered. Hell, some parts of the world haven't even managed to get through the first wave.

How is it a bogeyman?

Bo-gey-man: noun: An imaginary evil spirit or being, used to frighten children

If you buy into the whole "COVID is a scam/conspiracy" logic, it unfortunately fits right in to that narrative.

3 hours ago, the watcher said:

A couple of comments. As far as those that won't get vaccinated, I think it will be way, way less than %20 in Canada.I would be shocked if it was 10.

I agree that the anti-vaxxers and general idiots are far, far less in Canada than south of the border. Yet, when I read the comments on pretty much any Covid-19 story on CBC, it's disturbing  how much downplaying, dismissal, and denial is still out there.

Last week I had to wait in line to get new plates for my car and overheard the two people waiting in front of me talking about how stupid it is to still be wearing a mask. One of them said, and I quote, "It's like putting on a condom after you've had sex." They both laughed.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Whats happening in Florida is it still first wave or second wave?

Florida and Texas just didn't bother to report while almost all other states were showing spikes, they were dribbling along with 'no cases'...  so there's no way to know now, I would think its still the first wave - I suspect they will just stop reporting again anyway.

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Bo-gey-man: noun: An imaginary evil spirit or being, used to frighten children

If you buy into the whole "COVID is a scam/conspiracy" logic, it unfortunately fits right in to that narrative.

It is very hard to have a critically minded discussion when any questions regarding covid are so easily filed into a 'Trump redneck conspiracy' narrative...  its a sad state of affairs these days.

Aside from the Spanish Flu - for which we only have random anecdotal evidence about a mystery illness - there is no real scientific evidence that a massive second wave is coming.  The 'second wave' will be clusters over the next couple years and the entire point of flattening the curve was not to eradicate covid but to prepare our health care system.

Yet we speak like the second wave spanish flu is coming to kill millions... when in fact the 'first wave' of covid only killed 1600 people outside of nursing homes.  Yet pointing out this basic fact leaves me open to being a conspiracy guy for saying its a nursing home issue (contained location with long term exposure).

We pick and choose what info we want to hear - both sides are doing that - sometimes we say that you have to follow the science and other times we use the spanish flu bogeyman...