2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

REGINA -- There’s just a week left on the CFL’s imposed July 23 deadline of adopting new COVID-19 protocols, including the negotiations of a collective bargaining agreement with the players.

CFLPA member Brett Lauther said the two sides are not even close to reaching a deal.

“I don’t think it’s shocking to anyone to say right now with where we’re at. At this point, it’s not even the same ball park,” Lauther said.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/it-s-not-even-the-same-ball-park-cfl-players-far-apart-on-new-cba-1.5027853#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=QoIhKtI

👁‍🗨 More and more, it looks like the 2020 CFL season is doomed. 

I guess it’s just as well...

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

REGINA -- There’s just a week left on the CFL’s imposed July 23 deadline of adopting new COVID-19 protocols, including the negotiations of a collective bargaining agreement with the players.

CFLPA member Brett Lauther said the two sides are not even close to reaching a deal.

“I don’t think it’s shocking to anyone to say right now with where we’re at. At this point, it’s not even the same ball park,” Lauther said.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/it-s-not-even-the-same-ball-park-cfl-players-far-apart-on-new-cba-1.5027853#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=QoIhKtI

👁‍🗨 More and more, it looks like the 2020 CFL season is doomed. 

I guess it’s just as well...

We heard this last year too though.... and a deal got done

No word yet on whether or not Iso wrote this rant for Madani or not.........

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/17/arash-madani-the-cfls-primary-mission-is-not-to-get-football-off-the-ground-this-year/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sportsnet’s Arash Madani joined The Rod Pedersen Show on Thursday and, as per usual, didn’t hold back when it came to his takes on the league. In a ferocious rant, he indicated that he feel the CFL has shifted off a legitimate 2020 season and on to strong arming players for years to come.

“Because of the tactics they are using by ramming through a new CBA and reducing the salary cap next season, I get the sense that the league is thinking about 2021 and beyond, and their primary mission is not to get football off the ground this year,” he told the Regina based broadcasters.

“If they announce tomorrow ‘we want to play in 2020’, how much is needed to make this happen. Its not like you can say lets fly everybody up here and lets go,” Madani continued. “You need to get eight teams relocated into a city. How are you going to run training camps? Where are your meeting rooms? Where are your practice field? Where are you going to feed them? Where are you going to lodge them? Especially with some of your staff still furloughed and not working right now for different teams.”

To Madani, the situation is emblematic of a deeper problem in the CFL as an institution.

“The owners and leadership folk on CFL teams have long shown they have very little regard for the players, unless they absolutely need them. You saw that with Randy Ambrosie going in front of the house finance committee back in May, with no real dialogue going into it because he didn’t think he needed them,” Madani emphasized

“What the CFL is doing right now, is continuing to show their complete disregard for players themselves.”

Madani believes it has been a failure on the part of league leaders to protect players.

“What has the front office done to help players out, to be committed to try and get them CERB or any other government program? The answer is nothing,” he said angrily. “If you don’t believe it, here we are in July, the pandemic got off the ground in March, four months have transpired and what has Randy Ambrosie done for the players? What has Wade Miller, Scott Mitchell, Rick LeLacheur, and on and on you go with the team presidents, what have they done for the players to ensure they’re taken care of? From my seat, the answer is nothing.”

Players have been vocal that the current offer on the table, a 33% pro-rated contract with no monetary guarantees for a six-game season, is woefully insufficient. The latest reports are that the two side are not even in the same ballpark.

Madani sees why.

“What is an American player coming up here for? I thought Tony Washington’s tweet was bang on, if you come up here you are going to walk away with $9,000 on a non-guaranteed contract,” he said.

“I just don’t see it happening”

Madani believes a fundamental shift in strategy is needed to ensure the league’s recovery.

“I actually believe that the CFL right now, if they pull the plug on 2020, will have given themselves a four-month head start, a larger runway to focus on 2021 and to get their business together,” explains Madani.

“To try and ram a CBA down the players’ throats, its dirty business and its wrong business. They now have opportunity to focus on long term stability and really get the health of the league in order. The focus should be on next season, not this.”

That would mean no 2020 CFL season, something that Madani doesn’t see happening anyway.

“At this stage logistically, I just don’t see how they are going to get it off the ground. There are people who will tell you quietly that this is not the right thing to do from a logistical and safety standpoint.”

The league and the players have set a deadline of July 23rd to reach an agreement.

On 2020-06-08 at 3:52 PM, Noeller said:

that doesn't exist, unfortunately, and it's my understanding that CJOB's logger tape of that call no longer exists either. Damn shame. 

Can't find any reference to it, but I remember hearing Terry Gilliam (animator for Monty Python) had a similar situation arise, BBC at the time had a policy of reusing old tapes, so they'd frequently just rewrite over older content. When he heard of this, he purchased his own work from them (at cost), which later, when Monty Python really took off, BBC asked for back, since they had no backup copies of it...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/17/arash-madani-the-cfls-primary-mission-is-not-to-get-football-off-the-ground-this-year/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sportsnet’s Arash Madani joined The Rod Pedersen Show on Thursday and, as per usual, didn’t hold back when it came to his takes on the league. In a ferocious rant, he indicated that he feel the CFL has shifted off a legitimate 2020 season and on to strong arming players for years to come.

“Because of the tactics they are using by ramming through a new CBA and reducing the salary cap next season, I get the sense that the league is thinking about 2021 and beyond, and their primary mission is not to get football off the ground this year,” he told the Regina based broadcasters.

“If they announce tomorrow ‘we want to play in 2020’, how much is needed to make this happen. Its not like you can say lets fly everybody up here and lets go,” Madani continued. “You need to get eight teams relocated into a city. How are you going to run training camps? Where are your meeting rooms? Where are your practice field? Where are you going to feed them? Where are you going to lodge them? Especially with some of your staff still furloughed and not working right now for different teams.”

To Madani, the situation is emblematic of a deeper problem in the CFL as an institution.

“The owners and leadership folk on CFL teams have long shown they have very little regard for the players, unless they absolutely need them. You saw that with Randy Ambrosie going in front of the house finance committee back in May, with no real dialogue going into it because he didn’t think he needed them,” Madani emphasized

“What the CFL is doing right now, is continuing to show their complete disregard for players themselves.”

Madani believes it has been a failure on the part of league leaders to protect players.

“What has the front office done to help players out, to be committed to try and get them CERB or any other government program? The answer is nothing,” he said angrily. “If you don’t believe it, here we are in July, the pandemic got off the ground in March, four months have transpired and what has Randy Ambrosie done for the players? What has Wade Miller, Scott Mitchell, Rick LeLacheur, and on and on you go with the team presidents, what have they done for the players to ensure they’re taken care of? From my seat, the answer is nothing.”

Players have been vocal that the current offer on the table, a 33% pro-rated contract with no monetary guarantees for a six-game season, is woefully insufficient. The latest reports are that the two side are not even in the same ballpark.

Madani sees why.

“What is an American player coming up here for? I thought Tony Washington’s tweet was bang on, if you come up here you are going to walk away with $9,000 on a non-guaranteed contract,” he said.

Madani believes a fundamental shift in strategy is needed to ensure the league’s recovery.

“I actually believe that the CFL right now, if they pull the plug on 2020, will have given themselves a four-month head start, a larger runway to focus on 2021 and to get their business together,” explains Madani.

“To try and ram a CBA down the players’ throats, its dirty business and its wrong business. They now have opportunity to focus on long term stability and really get the health of the league in order. The focus should be on next season, not this.”

That would mean no 2020 CFL season, something that Madani doesn’t see happening anyway.

“At this stage logistically, I just don’t see how they are going to get it off the ground. There are people who will tell you quietly that this is not the right thing to do from a logistical and safety standpoint.”

The league and the players have set a deadline of July 23rd to reach an agreement.

There are those here that don’t like Madani, so be it. Madani is not simply a journalist he has worked in the CFL for Ottawa and Winnipeg. He has seen what it takes logistically to put it all together. He has experienced the combative relationship between the CFL and the CFLPA.  The clock is ticking on the July 23rd deadline and he has good reason to be skeptical , like it or not.

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

Madani sees why.

You guys who love Ambrosie can try to blow as much sunshine into this as you want. The guy is useless as Commissioner. He makes Jeff Orridge look like Pete Rozelle. 

I have yet to read of anyone who has professed love for Ambrosie.  I can't even remember anyone ever really taking his side for almost anything.  

Madani has his doubters.... he's not super reliable when it comes for news.  He does tend to throw **** on the wall and hope that something sticks. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You guys who love Ambrosie can try to blow as much sunshine into this as you want. The guy is useless as Commissioner. He makes Jeff Orridge look like Pete Rozelle. 

Madani is hardly someone who is in the corner of the CFL. I couldn’t care less what that hack has to say. 

11 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

I guess some might differentiate between opinions and fact based experience. Knowledge and wisdom are often associated by some as arrogance. 

Some do, Madan does not. He presents his own opinion as fact far too often. That he's worked in the cfl means very little. Just another self important media type.

10 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Madani is hardly someone who is in the corner of the CFL. I couldn’t care less what that hack has to say. 

I don't like Madani either but it doesn't mean he's wrong. Only Ambrosie Fan Boyz can say what a GREAT JOB he's doing. You can thank Relleon for getting me going. Since he poked the bear... Not many players are going to come back for a third of their salary & be in a bubble for however many days it takes to finish the season. Ambrosie & the BOG knows that. That's why they proposed this. So, if the Players say no Ambrosie can turn around & say, "See, it wasn't the owners who cancelled. Blame the Players." I think that's been the plan all along. And the Ambrosie Fan Boyz will be drinking the koolaid all day long still singing his praises. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

I have yet to read of anyone who has professed love for Ambrosie.  I can't even remember anyone ever really taking his side for almost anything.  

Madani has his doubters.... he's not super reliable when it comes for news.  He does tend to throw **** on the wall and hope that something sticks. 

That's what he gets paid to do.