2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 hours ago, Starman115 said:

I doubt there are any informed people who think the pandemic will be over this calendar year. Unfortunately the CFL is not at all in the same position as the other major pro sports leagues in North America. They are now in survival mode.

No CFL team is going to make any money this year, if there is a season of any kind. It's more a case of trying to slow the bleeding with the hope of somehow getting through this, and moving forward post-pandemic. Yes, there will be great risk in playing a shortened season, and people will test positive.

On the other hand, to not have a season at all could put the league in even greater risk, with its future existence largely in the hands of government(s). So there are enormous risks either way. The CFL is in the unenviable position of trying to determine the overall most intelligent path forward without the benefit of necessary information right now to make a prudent decision for the fall.

Braley had a good point that fewer fans basically means teams are losing $10 million instead of $20-30 million... 

Any brand has to try and stay in the spotlight - somehow... to simply back away for a full season while all the other sports leagues are opening up just seems like the death knell for the league

Setting a league start date and showing your market and potential govt funders that you are giving it a real shot with a slogan like 'Canada makes it work' or something hokey/nationalistic...  then even if there's a second wave and you have to shut it down - THEN you go ask Canada to pick up the rest of the tab

Right now, the CFL has given people the sense that they were ready to call the season off and just take govt money from the start - the optics aren't great.

I still say that the CFL likely has a plan and would have announced something but the execs are twisting and turning trying to find a way to make Toronto a hub - that's the delay imo.

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The CFL might not even exist if Braley hadn't saved the Ticats, the Lions and the Argos.

So very true.....I guess Braley’s take on his reality of the current situation of the CFL now makes him the enemy. He has a vested interest in the situation.

Bradley is a cheap *******. Yes his money kept franchises afloat, but just barely, and I don't think he ever turned any of those franchises into anything more than a tax write off. The sooner we get him outta the league and have more owners that actually care about having a successful franchise, the better. 

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Bradley is a cheap *******. Yes his money kept franchises afloat, but just barely, and I don't think he ever turned any of those franchises into anything more than a tax write off. The sooner we get him outta the league and have more owners that actually care about having a successful franchise, the better. 

Yeah he’s been holding back the CFL since 1987... what a jerk... we need to get rid of that scourge and bring in any one of the long list of people waiting to buy a CFL team...  I mean the Lions have only won the grey cup three times since he started bleeding them dry - now they’re stuck with a has been like Mike Reilly

11 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

What did he say that was so shitty? 

It’s on 3down

Something like ‘gotta say it - men shouldn’t get with men and women shouldn’t be with women -  but that’s just me’

you shouldn’t be cut over that - apologize and community day or something 

Team can do whatever they want IMO,  if it doesn't follow the culture of the club then cut them.

That being said I do find this league can be weird where a guy like this is cut,  but other guys who have history of beating women,  drugs,  other crimes are kept on the team...

51 minutes ago, Brandon said:

That being said I do find this league can be weird where a guy like this is cut,  but other guys who have history of beating women,  drugs,  other crimes are kept on the team...

That’s not unique to the CFL.  Any of those other issues, they just have some things to work on, but to be in any way homophobic is a death sentence. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

**** you and "Cancel Culture".... He went on a homophobic rant! There is no place for intolerance anywhere. **** anyone who says shitty things about any kind of minority group. 

He didn’t go on a homophobic rant. He literally said that he doesn’t support gay marriage. He didn’t say that he hates gay people or anything derogatory towards them. Not to mention that gay marriage is still relatively new and that many people grew up in religious households where that is not supported. Someone should not be lynched for having a different view than you or I.

We should focus on educating people on why that thought is considered inappropriate. Instead, we resort to calling the person a bigot and demand they lose their job. People participating in cancel culture as the ones who are saying we need to be tolerant of everyone’s views. Yet at the same time, are also the first ones to call a person a piece of **** on social media and not engage in any sort of discussion with them. 

I just think that educating and reasoning is a better option than automatically declaring that the person is garbage. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

That’s not unique to the CFL.  Any of those other issues, they just have some things to work on, but to be in any way homophobic is a death sentence. 

I disagree I find that the overall talent level of a player determines whether a player has a death sentence or not.