2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

My thoughts too. Wish they would just rip the band aid off and officially cancel the season. Ask the Gov for funds to keep the league a float. And start planning for 2021 which will still be heavily impacted by COVID.

I certainly hope they don’t waist a lot of money only to see things only being shutdown. It will be interesting to see how many of the players in the NBA, NHL, and MLB that are making huge $$$ balk and say they aren’t going to show up?

19 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I certainly hope they don’t waist a lot of money only to see things only being shutdown. It will be interesting to see how many of the players in the NBA, NHL, and MLB that are making huge $$$ balk and say they aren’t going to show up?

They'll show up or they will be in violation of their contracts & won't get paid, I assume. I haven't heard one player say he won't show up in any league. 

40 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

$port$ vs sports.
Here, in Canada, for the CFL, it’s strictly sports. The money isn’t there for most.

While in the other pro sports, there is a love for the game, the $ is vastly different, and so, I suppose, is the attitude.

I’ve read a few names that will not participate if they’re able to show show sort of ailment, ie recovering from a past injury.
As to their mindset, I’d say mostly wait and see, but if cases keep piling up as they are, what would be the point?

You are right and wrong about one aspect...it would be a waste of time and money

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've said all along, while I understand all the reasons they're (all sports leagues) trying to get going, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Just ******* lock it all down until this time next year and see where we're at. 

Obviously you’ve never run a business 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They'll show up or they will be in violation of their contracts & won't get paid, I assume. I haven't heard one player say he won't show up in any league. 

Not sure there in violation of a contract that based on the CBA really might be in legal peril and not binding. They can’t hold a golf tournament and small team workouts without people testing positive how are you ever going to have a football camp. I woman’s pro soccer team got suspended from league play in Florida because of positive tests.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Obviously you’ve never run a business 

Obviously you think wasting money on a venture that will get shutdown within a week or two is a sound business practice. MLB, NHL, and NBA ...even golf are having issues and they are only having informal workouts. Those leagues at least have more financial reserves than a league that is financially treating water.

On 2020-06-24 at 6:22 PM, DR. CFL said:

Obviously you think wasting money on a venture that will get shutdown within a week or two is a sound business practice. MLB, NHL, and NBA ...even golf are having issues and they are only having informal workouts. Those leagues at least have more financial reserves than a league that is financially treating water.

So a league that is financially treading water can just take a year off... okey dokey

annouce a labour day start and bust your ass to make it work - don’t announce nothing and sit there hemming and hawing 

46 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So a league that is financially treading water can just take a year off... okey dokey

annouce a labour day start and bust your ass to make it work - don’t announce nothing and sit there hemming and hawing 

So what exactly is the plan? Clearly they are a long way from one...especially given there is no working relationship between the CFL and the PA. Next question...for this hypothetical Sept 1st start. How long in advance do you think it would take to logistically set up?  I’ll give you a hint...I have been told by CFL personnel that July 1st is a critical target. That doesn’t factor in border issue, provincial and city health regulations, the possible isolation for 14 days of players. And here is the million dollar question? What are the plans when ( not if ) when people start testing positive...if you ever get this organized? People seem to not want to look at this situation from an objective, practical prospective. I get it ....fans want football.

3 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

So what exactly is the plan? Clearly they are a long way from one...especially given there is no working relationship between the CFL and the PA. Next question...for this hypothetical Sept 1st start. How long in advance do you think it would take to logistically set up?  I’ll give you a hint...I have been told by CFL personnel that July 1st is a critical target. That doesn’t factor in border issue, provincial and city health regulations, the possible isolation for 14 days of players. And here is the million dollar question? What are the plans when ( not if ) when people start testing positive...if you ever get this organized? People seem to not want to look at this situation from an objective, practical prospective. I get it ....fans want football.

A typical negative know it all dr cfl post ... of course the cfl is working on a plan and of course that takes positive cases into account - one would assume they are using e same IR idea as nfl and plastic visors in face masks

We have already heard about hub cities etc - by sept social distancing will be even more relaxed in Canada and we will be able to get 5-10k people in an outdoor stadium

but for guys saying ‘just shut it down for a year’ - that stance just seems naive 

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

A typical negative know it all dr cfl post ... of course the cfl is working on a plan and of course that takes positive cases into account - one would assume they are using e same IR idea as nfl and plastic visors in face masks

We have already heard about hub cities etc - by sept social distancing will be even more relaxed in Canada and we will be able to get 5-10k people in an outdoor stadium

but for guys saying ‘just shut it down for a year’ - that stance just seems naive 

It's naive to think that the pandemic will be over in a couple of months and even more naive to think that the CFL can make any money with 5-10K fans in the stands (Ask Toronto how well it works).

the biggest issue is going to be what happens if a player tests positive. I mean a bunch of tennis players just tested positive from a tournament, i have heard the pga has some cases... if you can't even do those without people getting g sick what hope does football have? 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

It's naive to think that the pandemic will be over in a couple of months and even more naive to think that the CFL can make any money with 5-10K fans in the stands (Ask Toronto how well it works).

I doubt there are any informed people who think the pandemic will be over this calendar year. Unfortunately the CFL is not at all in the same position as the other major pro sports leagues in North America. They are now in survival mode.

No CFL team is going to make any money this year, if there is a season of any kind. It's more a case of trying to slow the bleeding with the hope of somehow getting through this, and moving forward post-pandemic. Yes, there will be great risk in playing a shortened season, and people will test positive.

On the other hand, to not have a season at all could put the league in even greater risk, with its future existence largely in the hands of government(s). So there are enormous risks either way. The CFL is in the unenviable position of trying to determine the overall most intelligent path forward without the benefit of necessary information right now to make a prudent decision for the fall.

51 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

the biggest issue is going to be what happens if a player tests positive. I mean a bunch of tennis players just tested positive from a tournament, i have heard the pga has some cases... if you can't even do those without people getting g sick what hope does football have? 

Thank you ! Better yet how many of the FANS dying for the return of football would risk their health and suit up? Honestly....you are now going to classify football players as frontline workers?  

19 minutes ago, Starman115 said:

I doubt there are any informed people who think the pandemic will be over this calendar year. Unfortunately the CFL is not at all in the same position as the other major pro sports leagues in North America. They are now in survival mode.

No CFL team is going to make any money this year, if there is a season of any kind. It's more a case of trying to slow the bleeding with the hope of somehow getting through this, and moving forward post-pandemic. Yes, there will be great risk in playing a shortened season, and people will test positive.

On the other hand, to not have a season at all could put the league in even greater risk, with its future existence largely in the hands of government(s). So there are enormous risks either way. The CFL is in the unenviable position of trying to determine the overall most intelligent path forward without the benefit of necessary information right now to make a prudent decision for the fall.

It’s interesting how some hear are sounding like Trump....touting the need to open up the economy. Well look how opening up too quickly and not practicing wearing masks and social distancing is working there. NOT

41 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

It’s interesting how some hear are sounding like Trump....touting the need to open up the economy. Well look how opening up too quickly and not practicing wearing masks and social distancing is working there. NOT

That's an interesting take considering I did not take a position either way. Just simply pointing out some of the difficulties of the situation.

12 hours ago, Floyd said:

Dr CFL just bathes in negativity. I'm sure he showers in at least.