2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

14 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

This is a NHL rumor but could have pretty big implications on the CFL.  No idea if there is any legitamacy to this reports but it talks about how the NHL is considering permanantly starting the season later to avoid having to compete against the NBA.  https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rumor-nhl-looking-at-making-permanent-changes-to-the-regular-season?ref=sidebar

This is something that could really benefit the CFL down the stretch and into the playoffs and the Grey Cup her in Canada. 

Wow I thought they move it earlier so they played meaningless games in the summer instead of playoffs in July

CFL considering ‘adopt-a-team’ model for 2020 season: report

“Right now, it’s believed by most around that CFL that we’re not going to see football played in the east. Those four eastern teams are going to be playing somewhere else, whether it’s in a hub or — more likely — Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Regina each take a team.”

Dorm rooms across Canada will be empty in the fall as universities offer classes exclusively online. It’s possible that space could be used to house CFL players.

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/09/cfl-considering-adopt-a-team-model-for-2020-season-report/

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

“Right now, it’s believed by most around that CFL that we’re not going to see football played in the east. Those four eastern teams are going to be playing somewhere else, whether it’s in a hub or — more likely — Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Regina each take a team.”

Dorm rooms across Canada will be empty in the fall as universities offer classes exclusively online. It’s possible that space could be used to house CFL players.

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/09/cfl-considering-adopt-a-team-model-for-2020-season-report/

Interesting idea. Makes some sense. Limits player housing expenses as the article indicates. Not ideal, but, nothing will be ideal this season. Who would be your choice for an Eastern team to buddy with in Winnipeg? I'll go with Ottawa, just to have our old pal Lapo hanging around town.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/06/09/tsn-announces-weekly-show-cfl2020-airing-fridays-tsn/

TORONTO — TSN is set to launch the new weekly show, CFL2020, discussing the latest news from around the Canadian Football League. CFL2020 airs Fridays at 7:30 p.m. ET beginning this Friday, June 12, ahead of TSN’s weekly CFL ENCORE FRIDAYS.

Hosted by Rod Smith, the new show features comprehensive news and analysis from the CFL ON TSN panel of Henry Burris, Matt Dunigan, Milt Stegall, and Davis Sanchez; CFL Insiders Farhan Lalji and Dave Naylor; the Inside the Booth pairing of Glen Suitor and Duane Forde; as well as CFL players, management, and personnel from around the league.

This Friday’s premiere episode discusses the current state of the league, and confronts the question of whether or not a 2020 CFL season is possible. The show includes interviews with CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie and CFLPA head Brian Ramsay.

Moving forward, the show will examine each of the nine teams’ off-seasons, and what their rosters will look like upon the league’s return.

In the meantime, TSN continues to deliver a regular slate of classic CFL matchups with CFL ENCORE FRIDAYS. This Friday’s edition highlights the best nail-biting playoff games featuring the 2013 Eastern Semi-Final overtime thriller between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Montreal Alouettes, and the BC Lions’ last-minute victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the 2016 Western Semi-Final.

For all the latest on TSN’s programming, please check TSN.ca for the most up-to-date broadcast schedule.

54 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Interesting idea. Makes some sense. Limits player housing expenses as the article indicates. Not ideal, but, nothing will be ideal this season. Who would be your choice for an Eastern team to buddy with in Winnipeg? I'll go with Ottawa, just to have our old pal Lapo hanging around town.

Hamilton. If any city know what it's like to experience a three decades long championship drought it's us. So, we know the angst Ti Cats fans are going thru. That & the fact we loooove playing the Cats in the Grey Cup. 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

Dorm rooms will be empty....so will stands if they allow limited seating. I’m not sure the expectation that people in Winnipeg will pay to watch Hamilton play Toronto is realistic.

6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Well Sask can just use all those "spare" houses they have for hiding players. They will be fine. 

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

"One of the models that is being considered quite favourably is not the hub city model but the ‘adopt-a-team’ model."

Play the season out of Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton and Calgary and then move the playoffs indoors to BC so you can extend the season.
#CFL

It’s actually a great idea. Eastern Canada is the issue anyways, things are more or less fine in the West. 

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

"One of the models that is being considered quite favourably is not the hub city model but the ‘adopt-a-team’ model."

Play the season out of Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton and Calgary and then move the playoffs indoors to BC so you can extend the season.
#CFL

I like the idea of BC Place. But it would e dumb to play all the playoff games indoors then move the Grey Cup to Winnipeg the second week of December & it's minus 30. 

I first heard about the Adopt-A-Team model from a Naylor tweet a few weeks ago and thought it was fantastic at the time, and like it more and more all the time. I'm not sure if it would work financially for everyone, but it seems like the best possible scenario...

13 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

If the CFL and TSN came to some sort of agreement to switch to a pay-per-view model (above the normal TSN subscription) to make up for gate revenue, would people pay it?

Not ENOUGH people would pay it, is the issue. Diehards? Absolutely. But you wouldn't get enough to make it work. 

20 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Dorm rooms will be empty....so will stands if they allow limited seating. I’m not sure the expectation that people in Winnipeg will pay to watch Hamilton play Toronto is realistic.

If they are planning to have any fans in attendance (socially distanced of course), I think the CFL is going to have to figure out some type of innovative, incentive based ticket sales structure. Maybe offering package tickets to fans where you could attend games for your own home team plus random games between the adopted team and another team. Then do revenue sharing. I might go see a Hamilton - Saskatchewan game if I got some type of discounted ticket with the purchase of a Bomber ticket.