2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

On 2020-06-04 at 12:21 PM, rebusrankin said:

Durant and his selfish choices allowed for the emergence of Strevler and allowed us the cash to sign Bighill. All in all, he helped contribute to our Cup win. Still a tool though.

Oh by the way. I think he wants a retainer as well.

Riders legend Darian Durant wants media or CFL executive role

By
 3Down Staff
 -

June 6, 2020

2 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Cause maybe her pbp sucks? Name me some great pbp people who started on the sidelines???? Anyway you are looking to get a female pbp no matter what,and unfortunately its going to happen, in this day of bend over political correctness its mandatory.

I'm so torn because on one hand I can see that you are terribly sexist and God only knows what else..... But on the other hand, I'm a big believer that the best person available should get the job, and not shoehorn someone in just to fill a quota. 

Edited by Noeller

On 2020-06-05 at 10:35 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Guess Cuthbert is hitching his wagon to hockey full-time. Maybe he knows something about what will happen to the CFL in the future if they don’t play this year. 

He said the self quarantine showed some of his games on CBC. He is 62 & Sportsnet has the NHL contract another 7 years meaning he'd be 70 if he wanted to call another hockey game so he decided to leave TSN. Nothing to do with the state of football.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He said the self quarantine showed some of his games on CBC. He is 62 & Sportsnet has the NHL contract another 7 years meaning he'd be 70 if he wanted to call another hockey game so he decided to leave TSN. Nothing to do with the state of football.

And TSN has the CFL contract for 5 years? Cuthbert is a pro....rule one when you leave a job say......

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm so torn because on one hand I can see that you are terribly sexist and God only knows what else..... But on the other hand, I'm a big believer that the best person available should get the job, and not shoehorn someone in just to fill a quota. 

This is the crux of my question...  why are we automatically considering Sara Orlesky a 'shoe horn'...  someone who's covered CFL from the sidelines for 12 years

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hopefully TSN doesn't increase the amount of work Rod Black does. I hear Dave "Sticky" Staala and Sam "The Specimen" Gigurre are still both in hiding and therapy.

Did you know that his father played in the NFL?

50 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This is the crux of my question...  why are we automatically considering Sara Orlesky a 'shoe horn'...  someone who's covered CFL from the sidelines for 12 years

Two reasons. One, she's not particularly good at what she does. I have no doubts she's very nice, but she stumbles her way through every hit she does, be it Jets or Bombers games. Two, just because you are a sideline reporter doesn't mean you can do PBP. Not sure how many times I have to tell people, it's an extremely unique skillset that takes years of practice to become even adequate at. 

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Two reasons. One, she's not particularly good at what she does. I have no doubts she's very nice, but she stumbles her way through every hit she does, be it Jets or Bombers games. Two, just because you are a sideline reporter doesn't mean you can do PBP. Not sure how many times I have to tell people, it's an extremely unique skillset that takes years of practice to become even adequate at. 

Fair point - I'd probably think Mike Hogan is the natural choice then

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He does hockey now. Has been doing NBC broadcasts on the weekends. It’s not at all accurate that he’d be waiting 7 years to do a hockey game. Only if he confines himself to hockey for TSN, which he hasn’t been. 

Sportsnet owns the No. 1 sports property in the country and I’ve always felt there is something special about broadcasting hockey games on Saturday nights,” Cuthbert said.

“I look forward to having the opportunity and honour of contributing once again to the distinguished tradition of Hockey Night in Canada and delivering the NHL playoffs as a member of the Sportsnet broadcast team. Along with my new colleagues, I count down the days until the puck drops again in 2020.”

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yea i guess if watching football and listening to a female voice doing pbp just doesn't work for me that makes me a sexist and God only knows what else...i guess the women watching The View during the day need some male opinions too huh? The double standards never fail to amuse, but keep shining your light Noeller and show how sensitive and enlightened you are, i am tearing up just thinking about it.

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

You can't have a 2-Analyst team. It doesn't work that way. But Gord Miller with Dunigan would be great.

Gord Millers problem is that he tries to be an analyst so this statement makes no sense to me. 

I don't mind him, but he oversteps his role too often. 

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Gord Millers problem is that he tries to be an analyst so this statement makes no sense to me. 

I don't mind him, but he oversteps his role too often. 

I don't like Gord Miller for a plethora of reasons... He's an arrogant Sundre guy for starters...... But he's a really good football PBP guy and certainly a phenomenal hockey PBP guy... Just don't tell him that. 

3 hours ago, bb1 said:

Yea i guess if watching football and listening to a female voice doing pbp just doesn't work for me that makes me a sexist and God only knows what else...i guess the women watching The View during the day need some male opinions too huh? The double standards never fail to amuse, but keep shining your light Noeller and show how sensitive and enlightened you are, i am tearing up just thinking about it.

Double standard? Name me a woman qualified to do CFL pbp on TSN Replacing Cuthbert? Which female broadcaster is lighting it up on radio  or tv right now in this country actually calling games??? I mean, if you're going to mock Noeller then I call you a virtue signaller.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, bb1 said:

Cause maybe her pbp sucks? Name me some great pbp people who started on the sidelines???? Anyway you are looking to get a female pbp no matter what,and unfortunately its going to happen, in this day of bend over political correctness its mandatory.

Maybe, maybe not. Point is, we won't know for sure unless you give her (or any other candidate applying for that matter) a fair shot. Assuming she'll be poor at it just because she is a female on the basis that historically there have no female play-by-play announcers is just confirmation bias of a sexist and dated perspective.

If she's going to lose out on a job, it should be because of better candidates, not because of her gender or preconceived notions of it.

34 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Maybe, maybe not. Point is, we won't know for sure unless you give her (or any other candidate applying for that matter) a fair shot. Assuming she'll be poor at it just because she is a female on the basis that historically there have no female play-by-play announcers is just confirmation bias of a sexist and dated perspective.

If she's going to lose out on a job, it should be because of better candidates, not because of her gender or preconceived notions of it.

I would assume in broadcasting most people would work their way to the top?  Wouldn't it be the entry level PBP needing to give them a chance? 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't like Gord Miller for a plethora of reasons... He's an arrogant Sundre guy for starters...... But he's a really good football PBP guy and certainly a phenomenal hockey PBP guy... Just don't tell him that. 

He definitely has a face for radio. 

We’re not sure what’s happening behind-the-scenes regarding the CFL’s proposal for Federal aid and plans for a Return To Play. Rest assured the activity is furious at CFL headquarters, but we haven’t had an update in awhile. In my circles, CFL stakeholders are burning up the phone lines planning a gigantic fundraiser – think of a CFL Live Aid around the globe – but not much can be planned without some concrete news on the 2020 season. What’s encouraging is that many current and past players are eager to pitch in.

Whether the CFL gets government assistance to cover their massive losses remains anyone’s guess. CFL types I’ve talked to seem to think it’s a slam dunk but it’s a very slippery slope for the Trudeau government. Every other league I’ve talked to, including baseball, soccer, lacrosse, basketball and hockey, is observing the situation like a hawk and will be next in line for a handout if the CFL gets theirs. Given the Liberals propensity for all things being “fair” they could prop up everybody … or nobody.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced a $3.5-million profit in 2019 while the Saskatchewan Roughriders announced a $200,000+ loss. What that tells me is that the Blue Bombers have got it going on. Could they become the CFL’s marquee franchise? They’re on their way.

http://rodpedersen.com/weekend-random-thoughts-for-universal-collision-centre/

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

I agree that he can be good, my criticism is purely the fact that he does too much analysis. Probably tied to the arrogance.