2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

A hard BS to that. You’ve got to know your siht..to do any kind of PBP. Try it sometime while watching.

You don't think professional PBP guys can't call multiple sports? Tonnes of them already do it in the States?  Hell Rod Black does it !  I'm going to say you and Noeller are dead wrong and take a hard stance on it.  

If Rod Black (who isn't great even ignoring the weird tangents he goes off on) can do it,  then surely other professionals can do the same or better.  

I'm not saying hire a guy off the street,  but I'm sure somebody would like a promotion to TSN if they are hiring.  

Edited by Brandon

36 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

TSN bumping Dustin Nielsen up its CFL play-by-play depth chart

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/05/tsn-bumping-dustin-nielsen-up-the-cfl-play-by-play-depth-chart/

TSN has put Nielson on hockey assignments, for the last two years he’s called Spengler Cup match ups.

Impossible a guy calling two sports !!!  

After graduating from Lethbridge College in 2003, Nielson called games for the McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL), Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) and Edmonton Wildcats (CJFL). He graduated to doing University of Alberta football and hockey games in 2010 and became the lead play-by-play voice for Canada West Showcase football games in recent years.

He’s had a ton of work and has worked at his trade, but nobody has ever said one man cannot do multiple sports PBP.

Think of Don Whitman.

But, on the other hand, multiple people cannot do PBP for any sport.

9 hours ago, bearpants said:

He's on the payroll... he'll do what it takes to appease the masses... I think he'd be plenty impartial if he went back to a national gig...

I get that he's being paid to do a job but Knuckles has proven that you can do that job without being a complete shill. 

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

Rod Black says dumb things but he doesn't outwardly cheer for ONE team...  Suitor does.  Pederson is a disciple.

I think its time for a female voice as PBP instead of more old white guys...

Where are you going to find a woman doing football pbp in this country? In the States with 370 million there's only a handful. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Where are you going to find a woman doing football pbp in this country? In the States with 370 million there's only a handful. 

I mean the whole point of revolutionizing something is to break barriers - so obviously the entire point is that there's only a handful... because its dominated by older white guys...

Give Beirness or Orlesky a shot... I'm sure both of them can forget names, miscall plays and lead awkward interviews with Keith Urban just as well as any guy

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I mean the whole point of revolutionizing something is to break barriers - so obviously the entire point is that there's only a handful... because its dominated by older white guys...

Give Beirness or Orlesky a shot... I'm sure both of them can forget names, miscall plays and lead awkward interviews with Keith Urban just as well as any guy

Yeah,no, or better yet make it just for Rider games and i can ignore your barrier busting. When their are women playing in the CFL then i will worry about them doing pbp, i know old school but i don't give a rats ass...

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... I mean, I love Knucks, but................ 

TBF, I did say "a complete shill".  Bob definitely has blue-tinted glasses on but he at least tries to be balanced.  The absolutely bat-s**t crazy stuff that comes from Rod & company is on a whole other level.

55 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

TBF, I did say "a complete shill".  Bob definitely has blue-tinted glasses on but he at least tries to be balanced.  The absolutely bat-s**t crazy stuff that comes from Rod & company is on a whole other level.

That's fair. Pedersen and Carteri are among the worst of all time when it comes to shilling for the locals... 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

So you don't believe in the philosophy of hiring the best candidate available? 

Taylor is ruined now doing pbp for the Riders hahaha...too bad

I'f I was to make the decision I would make my A team be Walby and Dunnigan...bar noine,,,neither a true PBP guy but who cares, they can handle letting the fans know whats going on...and be very entertaining

To be honest..I don't need a guy telling me "Qb takes the snap....looks through his reads, oh oh...pressure...sack"

I'd rather have 2 football guys say whats going on..and pretty much explain the whys and hows as it unfolds...

33 minutes ago, Booch said:

To be honest..I don't need a guy telling me "Qb takes the snap....looks through his reads, oh oh...pressure...sack"

this is basically what Black does anyways.

I'd rather have 2 football guys say whats going on..and pretty much explain the whys and hows as it unfolds...

No kidding. Dunigan flails at times but he knows of what he speaks.

Walby’s return would be most welcome.

You can't have a 2-Analyst team. It doesn't work that way. But Gord Miller with Dunigan would be great. Walby doing colour with someone... Rod Smith... Would be great. Not sure CW wants to travel that much tho. I think TSN still considers Suitor a great analyst and think they'll try and find a new PBP guy to step in next to him and maintain the A Team. Black and Forde remain as B Team likely. Miller/Dunigan C Team. But that's all very generic and things can be mixed and matched... 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

So you don't believe in the philosophy of hiring the best candidate available? 

This is a challenging stance to take given that Rod Black and Glen Suitor are the 'senior' members of the TSN colour crew...

I'll give you a chance to rephrase that - but I do believe in equal opportunity more than simply best candidate, yes. 

My question to you - if you had a CFL sideline reporter - Orlesky - working on games since 2008 and that same person heads up the Winnipeg sports department, why would you dismiss them as a candidate?  Especially if you're looking to be a progressive growing league

38 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This is a challenging stance to take given that Rod Black and Glen Suitor are the 'senior' members of the TSN colour crew...

I'll give you a chance to rephrase that - but I do believe in equal opportunity more than simply best candidate, yes. 

My question to you - if you had a CFL sideline reporter - Orlesky - working on games since 2008 and that same person heads up the Winnipeg sports department, why would you dismiss them as a candidate?  Especially if you're looking to be a progressive growing league

Cause maybe her pbp sucks? Name me some great pbp people who started on the sidelines???? Anyway you are looking to get a female pbp no matter what,and unfortunately its going to happen, in this day of bend over political correctness its mandatory.