2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Brian Williams is 107 years old and doesn't do PBP. Cripes. 

They need newer, younger blood. Getting Neilson out of U of A was an interesting move because you have to start grooming people. You know who's an interesting thought is a guy like Darrin Bauming. Doesn't he do some Bisons PBP or am I crazy? I wonder if he has aspirations for the big leagues... 

Well he's 73.   Cuthbert is 62.  our own Bob Irving is 70.  Yes they need new blood, but it's too bad the guys like Cuthbert aren't there to mentor the next generation.   I think Bauming would be an excellent addition to the CFL broadcast spectrum.

Even as a panel host, replacing Rod Smith, who could jump to a more full time PBP role. I'd be okay with that, I think. But again, none of those guys... Smith, Miller, Black.... Are getting any younger. It's a balance, because you need someone old enough to have experience, but also young enough to not seem like the crypt keeper in the booth.... 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

By the same token, I wonder if they reach out to Rod Pedersen. I know what we all think of him, but for some reason he has a lot of goodwill built up in CFL circles and has a lot of years of CFL PBP experience. Curious if he's a name passed around.

I agree with you about Peterson. They will just have to brainwash him to flush Rider green from his memory banks.

Perhaps, locked up, forced to watch several hours of Trump briefings. Or is that too much?

45 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Guess Cuthbert is hitching his wagon to hockey full-time. Maybe he knows something about what will happen to the CFL in the future if they don’t play this year. 

This might be an indication of Cuthbert  being worried about a CFL season and moving an advance. 

16 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Pederson.  By a long shot.  Can you fkn imagine watching a Rod Pederson/Glen Suitor game??  

Even though we have not been subject to Mr Black for a while, how can you forget what a doofus he can be?  

I have no idea what kind of PBP guy Pedersen can be, but I’ve heard he can handle a mic.

I do know what kind of PBP guy Black is, and that’s more than enough proof for me.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Pederson is so unlikable regardless of his Green goggles.  No way in heck they'd hire him.   

I can't imagine it being that hard to find a PBP guy... even our local radio guys (Moore/Edmonds) could do the job.   

your ignorance is showing.........

Calling one sport does not equal calling all sports. They're all quite different...especially at the highest level. 

The more I think about it, the more I think Gord Miller will move up a spot and take over the West broadcasts with Suitor, and Black/Forde will stay in the East broadcasts. Grey Cup "A Team" TBD.....

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

your ignorance is showing.........

Calling one sport does not equal calling all sports. They're all quite different...especially at the highest level. 

The more I think about it, the more I think Gord Miller will move up a spot and take over the West broadcasts with Suitor, and Black/Forde will stay in the East broadcasts. Grey Cup "A Team" TBD.....

You know this from experience?  I have never done radio PBP but I'm pretty sure that if I were calling the Grey Cup I would be able to figure out how to say Harris takes the hand off for 6 yards instead of "Keith Urban you're my idol *slobber* *slobber*".  

Tonnnnnnnnnnes of PBP guys do multiple sports it's not that hard.  Football I'd imagine being easier since it's far slower then Hockey/Basketball.   

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

I don't want Rod P. or Rod P. junior calling games... Taylor from 2 years ago would have been fine but since taking the job in Regina, he's gone full 4-Stripe.  No thank you!

He's on the payroll... he'll do what it takes to appease the masses... I think he'd be plenty impartial if he went back to a national gig...

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Even though we have not been subject to Mr Black for a while, how can you forget what a doofus he can be?  

I have no idea what kind of PBP guy Pedersen can be, but I’ve heard he can handle a mic.

I do know what kind of PBP guy Black is, and that’s more than enough proof for me.

Rod Black says dumb things but he doesn't outwardly cheer for ONE team...  Suitor does.  Pederson is a disciple.

I think its time for a female voice as PBP instead of more old white guys...

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Tonnnnnnnnnnes of PBP guys do multiple sports it's not that hard.  Football I'd imagine being easier since it's far slower then Hockey/Basketball.   

A hard BS to that. You’ve got to know your siht..to do any kind of PBP. Try it sometime while watching.

Edited by Mr Dee

Just now, Mr Dee said:

Well, at least our last memory of Chris Cuthbert calling a football game will have been our Grey Cup victory over Hamilton!

Good luck Chris!

Cool story from Darrin Bauming today....said that he was traveling with Cuthbert during GC104 week, and Cuthbert said he'd called a GC win for every franchise except Wpg. He completed the set in November, and then called it a career...