2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

3 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

At one point there were alcohol free family sections....I’m not sure if they still exist?

As to Pinball’s revelation...that is old news there has been constant talk of the lost generation and the gap between the older fans and the young people who have found other things to spend their discretionary dollars. There is far more options in this day and age. You better have an appealing entertaining product to complete for their business.

We do, though. The CFL is entertaining. It's ticket prices. Why pay $60 for a ticket when they can watch it at home for free? Price it so it can be a real choice rather than a slam dunk NO.

Finally, some football talk..

Sunday should’ve marked Day 15 of CFL training camps but instead, it’s Day 15 of the postponement. The mood this week of CFL people seemed generally optimistic that we’ll see games in 2020, but that might be a longshot given Arash Madani’s report that at least two teams are reluctant to play a shortened season. So we continue to wait, and time is of the essence.

Argos GM Mike “Pinball” Clemons broke the news on Friday’s RP Show that the CFLPA has vetoed the contract of Canadian “rookie” T.J. Jones who’d signed a six-figure deal with the Argonauts in the off-season. The Winnipeg product spent the past six NFL seasons with the Lions and Giants, but it’s been ruled he’s subject to the CFL’s Canadian rookie salary cap of $85,000. Jones’ representatives confirmed the news this weekend and said, “We’ll never see him in the CFL if that remains the case”

http://rodpedersen.com/weekend-random-things-for-universal-collision-centre/

54 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Finally, some football talk..

Sunday should’ve marked Day 15 of CFL training camps but instead, it’s Day 15 of the postponement. The mood this week of CFL people seemed generally optimistic that we’ll see games in 2020, but that might be a longshot given Arash Madani’s report that at least two teams are reluctant to play a shortened season. So we continue to wait, and time is of the essence.

Argos GM Mike “Pinball” Clemons broke the news on Friday’s RP Show that the CFLPA has vetoed the contract of Canadian “rookie” T.J. Jones who’d signed a six-figure deal with the Argonauts in the off-season. The Winnipeg product spent the past six NFL seasons with the Lions and Giants, but it’s been ruled he’s subject to the CFL’s Canadian rookie salary cap of $85,000. Jones’ representatives confirmed the news this weekend and said, “We’ll never see him in the CFL if that remains the case”

http://rodpedersen.com/weekend-random-things-for-universal-collision-centre/

Good lord the TJ Jones thing is bush league. The guy is a six year NFL vet, he’s not some fresh faced Canadian rookie. 

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We do, though. The CFL is entertaining. It's ticket prices. Why pay $60 for a ticket when they can watch it at home for free? Price it so it can be a real choice rather than a slam dunk NO.

Exactly.  Finding the balance between price that will be profitable but see near capacity crowds will be tough, but it's what leagues are going to have to do.

Teams are slowly catching up with the reality of the time we live in though.  We're even starting to see teams buck the tradition of gauging people at the concession stands.

I love attending live games and I'm sure the majority on a forum like this are with me on that. But there are a lot of factors that make attending games a hassle.

I can not drop an extra $100 to pay for tickets and parking to walk a mile to the stadium when I could be at home without $10 beers and a bathroom line as long as it takes me to walk over.

Edited by Y2C

1 hour ago, Y2C said:

Exactly.  Finding the balance between price that will be profitable but see near capacity crowds will be tough, but it's what leagues are going to have to do.

Teams are slowly catching up with the reality of the time we live in though.  We're even starting to see teams buck the tradition of gauging people at the concession stands.

I love attending live games and I'm sure the majority on a forum like this are with me on that. But there are a lot of factors that make attending games a hassle.

I can not drop an extra $100 to pay for tickets and parking to walk a mile to the stadium when I could be at home without $10 beers and a bathroom line as long as it takes me to walk over.

Come on now. If you were really a diehard fan, you would have discovered what a Foley catheter is by now.

Edited by Tracker

2 hours ago, Y2C said:

At least you have a modern stadium in Winnipeg. Here in Calgary, Eisenhower was President when McMahon was built.  With little or no fan comforts. It's a stadium fans would rather stay away from. 

Ugh. I was really hoping the jokes would be unnecessary. The guy might not have been a superstar, but he was a quality Canadian foot soldier who wore Blue and Gold for awhile. He deserves at least a semi-respectful tip of the cap for his retirement. Thanks for the service! 

On 2020-05-31 at 1:29 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

At least you have a modern stadium in Winnipeg. Here in Calgary, Eisenhower was President when McMahon was built.  With little or no fan comforts. It's a stadium fans would rather stay away from. 

Yup. The worst professional sport stadium bar none. 

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup. The worst professional sport stadium bar none. 

yup...took that title onc ethat sad sack old Mosaic was torn down...dump of all dumps....situated basically in a dump :)

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yup...took that title onc ethat sad sack old Mosaic was torn down...dump of all dumps....situated basically in a dump :)

And you get to watch that stupid tradition of them running a horse back and forth when they score. Almost as bad as the eskiblows with their end of third qurter tradition of singing  that stupid high school football song. Yuck.

I'm probably jaded by always wearing my Blue and Gold glasses wherever I go but I don't care. No second favorite team. We are the 2019 Grey Cup Champions. Still feels good to write that.  🙂

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Ugh. I was really hoping the jokes would be unnecessary. The guy might not have been a superstar, but he was a quality Canadian foot soldier who wore Blue and Gold for awhile. He deserves at least a semi-respectful tip of the cap for his retirement. Thanks for the service! 

To be fair, both of the jokes also had, good for him and congrats.

If the Rider's are this huge juggernaut fiscal money making best in the CFL team...how is it they loose money on the season, yet the "inferior" Bombers in their eyes make money...Riders enfded up over 200k in the red, albeit they would have made about 300k if not for the 500k they put toward the 2020 Grey Cup...If the Bombers didn't have to fork out an additional 800k+ for playoff expenses being on the road...grey cup expenses..rings etc, they would have pocketed even more than they did this season...while still making their loan obligations...This all with the Green Turds hosting a playoff contest....Me thinks their(that fanbase) needs to re-think their worth and realize they are not the be all..end all. 

Edited by Booch