2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

49 minutes ago, JCon said:

Not sure what one has to do with the other but okay. 

The TSN deal is predicated on market size and market exposure. That is the whole basis for how advertising revenue is charged to companies. Agree or not the perception of not having a team in large market impacts what you can charge for advertising and how much advertising revenue you make. 

10 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

CFL "The perfect spots for those (hub cities) would be Regina and Saskatoon. You have multiple facilities there & you could use the universites, if they're not in school, to put up the players and staff. You could really cut hotel costs there." - @JDunk12 #CFL via @joeyalfieri - CFL News

Doesn’t that apply to any city that has universities Justin?

Dunk is an idiot. Then why not have a second CFL city in Saskatchewan? Just build a stadium if Saskatoon is so great. The U of M campus is perfect for this. Winnipeg should be a Hub City. 

36 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Dunk is an idiot. Then why not have a second CFL city in Saskatchewan? Just build a stadium if Saskatoon is so great. The U of M campus is perfect for this. Winnipeg should be a Hub City. 

Aside from misguided pride, remained me again why we would want the CFL playing here in pandemic situations? We wouldn't be able to go to the games either way, and being a "hub city" would the risk of COVID-19 in Winnipeg as players from other provinces would be traveling in from outside.

9 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Aside from misguided pride, remained me again why we would want the CFL playing here in pandemic situations? We wouldn't be able to go to the games either way, and being a "hub city" would the risk of COVID-19 in Winnipeg as players from other provinces would be traveling in from outside.

Why pick on me? You don't like it is fine with me.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why pick on me? You don't like it is fine with me.

Y'know I was going to post about how I don't pick on you and stuff... but then I went through my recent posts and I have, for whatever reason, commented on your posts more often than not. Just wanted to apologize lol.

Also, thanks for making me question my own subconscious and overall existential purpose. 

I didn't mean you can't comment on what I said. I just couldn't figure out why you felt you had to comment negatively on that particular post when it's been said by others here & on social media that the CFL might play or if not then die. Also you're entitled to your opinion which is fine. 

As far as bringing Covid 19 to Winnipeg, anyone associated with every team would have to self quarantine for 14 days. It would be severely enforced. The problem now is getting players over the border as it'll be closed for another month. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

The TSN deal is predicated on market size and market exposure. That is the whole basis for how advertising revenue is charged to companies. Agree or not the perception of not having a team in large market impacts what you can charge for advertising and how much advertising revenue you make. 

Again, I have no idea what that has to do with my post. I understand how marketing works though, thanks. 

11 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Why would we want them? The university campus is going to be empty until at least January. There are residences and hotels around that really use the bodies. There are also restaurants that could use the catering business. 

I can think of 50 reasons why it would be good to have them here and the only negative is that they could bring the virus here and spread it. That's pretty significant but, with tight protocols and quarantine could help alleviate the risks. 

Maybe it would be considered "essential" travel? Players would quarantine for the two weeks, so it is not an absolute travel ban.

As for being a hub city, there would be benefit for the bottom line of the host cities. Players need hotels to stay in, food to eat, etc. so business would get extra traffic. There's a reason Las Vegas is being looked at hard for the NHL hub plan. They would welcome all the hotel traffic of players and possibly their families. I suspect if the CFL is considering a hub city plan then they will want similar criteria that the NHL looked at:

1) Not a coronavirus hotspot - not sure what the current status of every city is, but Calgary, Quebec and BC seemed to be of particular concern, and Toronto being so big the population density would raise concerns. Winnipeg and Regina seem to be handling it well.

2) A stadium with 4 pro-size dressing rooms minimum to handle the extra traffic. I know IG Field has the Bomber locker room, the Bison locker room, a road team locker room, and a room for amateur athletes. Not sure if they have a fourth full locker room. I'm guessing Roger's Centre in Toronto would have the full number given that the Argos and Jays both played there, can't speculate on any other stadiums. But in Toronto's case that leads to issue #3

3) Not sharing the stadium with another tenant is preferable.

4) Readily accessible practice facilities nearby. It has already been pointed out that with IG Field, Pan Am stadium next door, and the indoor soccer complex which could be divided into two or even 4 separate fields, Winnipeg is well suited to handle to traffic flow.

5) Enough hotel space nearby to accommodate the players and be close to the practice sites - with the University being largely shut down, this might be less of a problem with the dorm space available.

6) A field that can handle the wear and tear of multiple games in a week. Given that natural grass is not an issue in any stadium, this should not be a bar to any of the CFL cities.

Other potential issues would be enough space to handle the TV and radio crews for each game, and easy travel between the 2 hub cities. With one TV broadcaster, that would not be an issue, but the league might need to have an in-house radio broadcaster rather than sending a local radio crew for each team. You could do worse than have Bob Irving cover every game on radio, and with Geoff Currier and Kelly Moore you have capable back-ups both with experience calling CFL games. As for the travel, pairs of cities that would work are Toronto-Hamilton, Edmonton-Calgary, Ottawa-Montreal, and at the outer limit Winnipeg-Saskatchewan (if you want to avoid flying altogether). Just some thoughts on the matter.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

1) Not a coronavirus hotspot - not sure what the current status of every city is, but Calgary, Quebec and BC seemed to be of particular concern

Most of what you posted is fine, but BC is one of the least-hit places in Canada. They got way out in front of things and have had crazy low numbers. They had less than 10 new cases yesterday...

With the reigning Grey Cuo

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Most of what you posted is fine, but BC is one of the least-hit places in Canada. They got way out in front of things and have had crazy low numbers. They had less than 10 new cases yesterday...

Fair point. I know they were one of the early spots hit, had not followed how they progressed. Thanks for the clarification.

53 minutes ago, BBlink said:

CFL playing a hub season in the prairies would be amazing (and probably the best idea) . They'd probably still need some bailout money from the government but at least there would be football.

Not sure if we'd need "buzz" for a CFL season largely without fans in the stands, but with the reigning Grey Cup champs here and the Grey Cup (which they'd still want to have fans in the stands for if possible) in Regina, these two cities would make sense from a higher profile point of view.

Email today from the Bombers:

Season ticket holders are invited to attend a virtual town hall meeting today with CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie to hear an update on our plans for 2020.

When: 3 pm ET on Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Why: We appreciate your support and want to keep you informed.

How:

To attend, a live stream will be available at https://www.cfl.ca/townhall/. To share a question for Randy, use the Ask A Question form on the page to submit a question before or during the event.
To hear an audio-only broadcast via a phone line, you may dial 1-800-898-3989 (toll free in Canada and the United States) and enter passcode 7076771# at the prompt.

We hope you can make it, but if you cannot attend, please know the information is also being delivered in a letter to season ticket holders, as well as through the media.

Thank you again for your support. We hope you and yours are staying safe and you are well.

CFL
“We have learned three things about running a league in a pandemic. Certainty is hard to come by. Scenarios are plentiful. And public safety is paramount.

3 things:

Return to Play: September at the Earliest

The 2020 Grey Cup: A Change of Plans

Touchdown Atlantic: Not This Year, Sadly

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/05/20/cfl-issues-update-regarding-2020/