2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

You can talk about venues all day long, but the issue for me is how do you play a contact sport like football where guys are constantly spitting and otherwise transmitting viruses to each other...? There is no way to play a sport like football safely. And all it takes is one guy testing positive and the whole thing is shut down, right? I'm still waiting for an answer to that one....for football AND hockey. 

Beyond that...the amount of time these guys and the staff would have to be cooped up on the front end (14 days) before they could even practice and then the entire time they are playing would be so unreasonable.  Are they going to stay away from their families and the public generally for three months to play 8 football games?

If the CFL pulls it off they might be able to make big money on US TV rights too.

32 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Pro sports has to 'obey' the health authority regulated by government..You can not circumvent a health order no matter how many billions of dollars might be involved or who you are...Health of a nation comes first before money is considered...Trump is finding that out in the states..You could try and remain status quo with your league and carry on BUT you could also be open to heavy fines and be far worse off than if you remained in hiatus...I'm going to suggest right now that the NFL might be in the same boat we're in IF this pandemic remains a threat to the citizens of that country...billionaire owners or not...

You have a point, and you're right to put "obey" in quotations. Again, not sidetracking, or getting Trumpy, but federal, state and civic governments are all re-examining the roles of public service health officials and elected officials. Not saying one is bad or good, just that I think there was an imbalance (perhaps necessary) early on where governments did whatever public service health officials suggested. Their role was not to worry about economic repercussions, impact, etc. It was and is public health.

Long winded way of saying you're right, and civic, state and provincial governments will start to make different choices based on many factors, while still considering public health. States like Texas are an example. Could the NFL use Texas as a hub for all NFL games with minimal or no fans? Absolutely. There's probably 20 full sized stadiums in that state alone.

Again, no absolute right or wrong answers. I just stand by my position that there will be pro sports again. 

Oh there will be pro sports again, but like the world of today and after the pandemic, it will be a changed world...What those changes are going to be is yet to be determined and implemented....I do however see some activities being on a trial basis....like the Texas situation that was mentioned BUT like everything else it will most likely be on a contingency basis...If it goes sideways and just one player tests positive for covid, then the trial will collapse...Is it in anyone's interest to see that type of scenario and a resulting situation where you have to start over again from square one?....Lot's of ramifications and I'm afraid this virus seems to be dictating where we go from here...It will be a fantastic day when we can say we beat this thing..but it will have taken it's toll and will leave a different world..especially us in pro sports

3 Downs: Reasons for optimism for the CFL's return

TSN's Farhan Lalji joins CFL Insider Dave Naylor to explain the latest on talks between the league and PA, including ideas to try and save the season. They also examine what the next steps are in talks with the federal government.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/3-downs-reasons-for-optimism-for-the-cfls-return~1958583

The premise of Hub sites works for the NHL because they are going to play in empty arenas. One of the reasons Florida and Arizona are under consideration. The CFL does not have that luxury. If Winnipeg was a host site are people going to show up and pay to watch BC vs Edmonton or Calgary play Sask. I’m not sure this is a very realistic plan?

29 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

The premise of Hub sites works for the NHL because they are going to play in empty arenas. One of the reasons Florida and Arizona are under consideration. The CFL does not have that luxury. If Winnipeg was a host site are people going to show up and pay to watch BC vs Edmonton or Calgary play Sask. I’m not sure this is a very realistic plan?

The whole play is to maintain TV money.  There’s no way in this calendar year any sporting event is permitted fans.  I’d be shocked if we get up to gatherings of 250 being allowed.

8 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Maintain the TV money and use the federal government to cover the loss of gate revenue has to be their plan.

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Politically? Perhaps that should be more practically....if you don’t play it’s out of sight out of mind.

No, I don’t think so. If the CFL is a go, the public can visibly see just where the money is going. 

Without playing games, the money disappears into a Profession sports league..

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

No, I don’t think so. If the CFL is a go, the public can visibly see just where the money is going. 

Without playing games, the money disappears into a Profession sports league..

My point was....by not playing 2020... they have absolutely no exposure and no presence. The risk of that is people’s interest will fade....hence if you are out of site you start to be a forgotten entity and people’s money goes elsewhere.

I read a thing about how the Feds are leery about putting any money into something that might not exist next year. They will only put money into something that is going to run, preferably this year, but FOR SURE next year and the foreseeable future. So, that's where the "politically" comes in.....politically, it helps them a ton to actually play games

While there is a political element, it also can be viewed as a business decision. Is there a risk that even if the league limps through 2020... is 2021 a concern. Case in point the “ sale” of Montreal? It would be interesting to know what that netted? B.C. Is another concern as either the asking price is way out of line, given the market or the interest just isn’t there. Time will tell.

While there is a political element, it also can be viewed as a business decision. Is there a risk that even if the league limps through 2020... is 2021 a concern. Case in point the “ sale” of Montreal? It would be interesting to know what that netted? B.C. Is another concern as either the asking price is way out of line, given the market or the interest just isn’t there. Time will tell.

Montreal has been sold and the new owner has said they're not going anywhere, and they'll be fine through the pandemic..... so there's that. 

Yeah I think they need to run through some scenarios where they need to go dormant for this season, maybe next.  How that works with the current players, how they might re-emerge.

There's way too much money tied into the stadiums and games being broadcast for the league to die, even if they couldn't play for a couple seasons.

Also see a scenario where the league is all Canadian players or players who reside in Canada for 2020 if they play at all.  Border could be closed to personal travel for a long time.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Montreal has been sold and the new owner has said they're not going anywhere, and they'll be fine through the pandemic..... so there's that. 

Lol......how many times did they say a sale was eminent? You have no idea what if anything they paid for the team. The other teams might have paid the owners to get them if the hook. As for what the owners said.....so there’s that.....is that like you can take that to the bank....lol.