2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

Lots of businesses will close. But you are talking about a league where 3 teams were already money pits. This is a business that relies on disposable, discretionary income that has been significantly disrupted. A business that requires people in stadiums in close quarters in the seats and in the facilities. That in itself is a huge psychological barrier that all businesses need to try and overcome. Regulation and legislation aside people aren’t going to just going rushing back to stores or sports even if they have money to spend.

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Jim Hunt is leaving the Ottawa RedBlacks ownership group. He got in as a business venture with the development of the site. My guess as a businessman he sees the writing on the wall. Not a positive sign.

He is going to lead their new CPL soccer team

15 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

He is going to lead their new CPL soccer team

Yes a team that was to start play on April 11th and as also suspended play. He is listed as a strategic partner likely financial liability. A good move in this financial climate for sports.

in response to CFL players (imports/global) being excluded from government help..Ie CERB/EI is pretty pathetic, and a very mis-informed comment by that stupid MP

If a player is signed to a contract he was more than willing to honor before this B.S, and had played last season in the CFL....Then he gets the benefit...regardless of where he is currently living in my opinion..They pay full taxes...as well as EI...And many pay the full amount for the year even though they only work here for part of it, from experience this I know...there are millions of "canadians" who didn't/don't pay the full amount at the turn of the year, and some making very low salaries who are reaping the rewards of this, and moist likely having more money in their lil pockets now than before this happened....Thats not to mention the thousands of scum who don't..didn't work and are gobbling it all up as a nice windfall...good luck with the Gov recouping that from the dredge who will have zippo to offer society after this is over...At least ALL the CFL players once play resumes will be back..paying their taxes..and their EI benefits...

Residency matters.  Same for EI. Can’t collect EI even as a Canadian while outside the country.

There are tons of us as professionals who have no hope of ever collecting EI.  We pay into it as a tax to protect our economy.  CERB is very similar just less restrictive.  But at the end of the day the entire point of either is to stimulate the economy of Canada, not send money around the world.

Players living in the US will be getting stimulus money from the governments there.  American players living in Canada should qualify for CERB once they lose income.

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

in response to CFL players (imports/global) being excluded from government help..Ie CERB/EI is pretty pathetic, and a very mis-informed comment by that stupid MP

If a player is signed to a contract he was more than willing to honor before this B.S, and had played last season in the CFL....Then he gets the benefit...regardless of where he is currently living in my opinion..They pay full taxes...as well as EI...And many pay the full amount for the year even though they only work here for part of it, from experience this I know...there are millions of "canadians" who didn't/don't pay the full amount at the turn of the year, and some making very low salaries who are reaping the rewards of this, and moist likely having more money in their lil pockets now than before this happened....Thats not to mention the thousands of scum who don't..didn't work and are gobbling it all up as a nice windfall...good luck with the Gov recouping that from the dredge who will have zippo to offer society after this is over...At least ALL the CFL players once play resumes will be back..paying their taxes..and their EI benefits...

Wow, quite the little diatribe there Booch.  I'm guess that you've never worked much with the marginalized, so I'm going to assume this would just be ignorance on your part.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think you're making more out of this than it really is. 

Perception is just that...not always reality. Hunt is a businessman first and foremost check out his bio. He is a smart man and has made smart business decisions.

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Residency matters.  Same for EI. Can’t collect EI even as a Canadian while outside the country.

There are tons of us as professionals who have no hope of ever collecting EI.  We pay into it as a tax to protect our economy.  CERB is very similar just less restrictive.  But at the end of the day the entire point of either is to stimulate the economy of Canada, not send money around the world.

Players living in the US will be getting stimulus money from the governments there.  American players living in Canada should qualify for CERB once they lose income.

Last October I was on a medical  EI last year with my knee replacement. Just before I went back to work & I could finally travel, my wife & I went to Seattle to visit my son & daughter in law. I had to report the days I was in the US. If I didn't, I'd breach the agreement of not travelling outside of Canada while on EI. & have to pay back any $$$ owing.  I reported the dates I was away & the money was deducted off of my EI payment so yes I believe the players that live in the US will be SOL. Just like any Canadian on EI.  If you're Willie Jefferson, do you really want the CERB with taxes owing & the exchange rate even if they did send it to him in the US??  What's the point? It wouldn't be worth much. 

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Wow, quite the little diatribe there Booch.  I'm guess that you've never worked much with the marginalized, so I'm going to assume this would just be ignorance on your part.

Actually I have to be honest...extensively..As well as put in time in the inner cities in Oakland and San Jose/San Francisco working with youth as well as homeless and destitute....As well as extensive dealings in Canada with similar groups, and Northern Remote community funding and development...I am all for helping those in need, but also on the flip have seen how the opportunist take advantage of things and not just at the common person level but right up through Management, and that I have no use for...the wasted funds I have scene in the millions is staggering and basically disgusting.

Marginalized who are doing all they can to make a life for themselves, utilize services available to them to make things better. on the up and up is great...but the common pickpocket..street walker and just general bum who is doing noting but leaching off society..doing things to create problems and drain resources of fire..police..and social service/medical communities just because they can...well they should be on the outside looking in instead of a person who contributes to society..pays into society and does what they can to make things better....if thats a diatribe I guess so. 

Ignorance can be assumed all around us with differing opinions and ideals, but unless you can see something through a persons eyes, and walk in their path and experienced what they have, well then saying they are ignorant is ignorant in itself..as that is basically the definition of it.."lacking of knowledge..information and awareness of a particular thing"

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Actually I have to be honest...extensively..As well as put in time in the inner cities in Oakland and San Jose/San Francisco working with youth as well as homeless and destitute....As well as extensive dealings in Canada with similar groups, and Northern Remote community funding and development...I am all for helping those in need, but also on the flip have seen how the opportunist take advantage of things and not just at the common person level but right up through Management, and that I have no use for...the wasted funds I have scene in the millions is staggering and basically disgusting.

Marginalized who are doing all they can to make a life for themselves, utilize services available to them to make things better. on the up and up is great...but the common pickpocket..street walker and just general bum who is doing noting but leaching off society..doing things to create problems and drain resources of fire..police..and social service/medical communities just because they can...well they should be on the outside looking in instead of a person who contributes to society..pays into society and does what they can to make things better....if thats a diatribe I guess so. 

Ignorance can be assumed all around us with differing opinions and ideals, but unless you can see something through a persons eyes, and walk in their path and experienced what they have, well then saying they are ignorant is ignorant in itself..as that is basically the definition of it.."lacking of knowledge..information and awareness of a particular thing"

Funny thing is, you're right about walking in someone's path.  That's why I'd take care in suggesting that a pickpocket or a streetwalker or a "general bum" should be on the outside looking in.  Everyone's got a story.  Many are not happy ones.

Hubba hubba..

Toronto Argos’ president Bill Manning: ‘It would be prudent’ for CFL to discuss hub city concept  

“That’s the biggest issue at the end of the day, can it work? Is it feasible? Most importantly, is it safe? What I do know is Randy [Ambrosie] is trying to look at all options on how we can play games this year — that’s still the goal. He did say it may not happen either. Like everything you gotta explore all options.”

https://3downnation.com/2020/05/14/toronto-argos-president-bill-manning-it-would-be-prudent-for-cfl-to-discuss-hub-city-concept/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

You can talk about venues all day long, but the issue for me is how do you play a contact sport like football where guys are constantly spitting and otherwise transmitting viruses to each other...? There is no way to play a sport like football safely. And all it takes is one guy testing positive and the whole thing is shut down, right? I'm still waiting for an answer to that one....for football AND hockey. 

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You can talk about venues all day long, but the issue for me is how do you play a contact sport like football where guys are constantly spitting and otherwise transmitting viruses to each other...? There is no way to play a sport like football safely. And all it takes is one guy testing positive and the whole thing is shut down, right? I'm still waiting for an answer to that one....for football AND hockey. 

Good point. There isn't really an answer, other than I think pro sports leagues are going to see exposing players, coaches, with protocols in place, as an acceptable risk in order to do business. The alternative is to do what? Shut down the NFL, NBA, NHL for a couple of years? Won't happen. These are billion dollar businesses. It's like asking Sam Walton to close down Walmarts (I get that Walmarts are "essential", but a billion dollar business is a billion dollar business). Fans attending games in stadiums and arenas is going to drastically change for sure, but leagues will play again. Not exactly sure when though. 

I can't understand why the players associations would ever agree to their lives being put at such high risk...... and don't say $$$ because they've already got more than enough, and I can't see them risking their lives over it. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I can't understand why the players associations would ever agree to their lives being put at such high risk...... and don't say $$$ because they've already got more than enough, and I can't see them risking their lives over it. 

I'm not going to side track this into how much risk of death elite athletes have if they contract COVID-19. Sorry, but, I do think it is ultimately about $$$. The majority of NBA, NFL, NHL players may not be set up for life financially. Aaron Rodgers, Lebron James, Blake Wheeler ... no worries I'm guessing. If pro sports ends for Mason Appleton or Chris Boucher on the Raptors, I'm guessing eventually they would be looking for jobs. I think players associations will try to negotiate a few contingencies for a return (pensions, guarantees in contracts, some type of covid related disability protections), but all players associations want the leagues to thrive and exist. Otherwise they no longer exist. Player agents no longer exist. Pro leagues will play again. I bet the NFL will basically go ahead almost on schedule.

Edited by M.Silverback

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Testing testing testing and more testing coupled with players being very secluded. It is the only way to avoid risking the players contracting it.

Pro sports has to 'obey' the health authority regulated by government..You can not circumvent a health order no matter how many billions of dollars might be involved or who you are...Health of a nation comes first before money is considered...Trump is finding that out in the states..You could try and remain status quo with your league and carry on BUT you could also be open to heavy fines and be far worse off than if you remained in hiatus...I'm going to suggest right now that the NFL might be in the same boat we're in IF this pandemic remains a threat to the citizens of that country...billionaire owners or not...