2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

CFL’s unique qualities complicate financial situation.

Navigating any professional sports league through COVID-19 is an extremely challenging exercise, but the uniqueness of the Canadian Football League makes its current situation especially difficult.
The CFL is in a bind because its business model relies primarily on gate, with television revenue a distant second. It’s the exact opposite of the NFL, which plans to play this summer – presumably with or without fans.

Before the government provides any financial assistance, two very large questions are going to need to be answered.
First, what amount of whatever assistance the government provides will go to players, in the likely event there is no season? And secondly, if money is going to the players, is it going to American players who reside mostly in the U.S., or just to players in Canada?
To say there is a fair bit of emotion around both of those questions is putting it mildly.

On the matter of the players being paid without there being a season, it’s important to note that roughly 20 per cent of 2020 player salaries have already been paid out in the form of off-season signing bonuses. So, in the event the players aren’t paid again for this season, some are going to come out better than others. 

https://www.tsn.ca/naylor-cfl-s-unique-qualities-complicate-financial-situation-1.1474899

I find the notion that 20% of 2020 salaries having been paid out seems high. Here is the irony of the situation...if it is in fact true ai would bet that a significant potion of that 20% has gone to a very very small portion of the players. Likely QBs and bigger name free agent signings. I guess the notion of not paying off season bonuses and signing bonuses in 2019 when there was no new CBA...was a lesson that was quickly forgotten. 
The issue of “ cancelled, suspended or postponed season” is ultimately going to be a legal one decided by the courts. Call it what you like the reality of it is how it impacts the CBA and player contracts.

Apparently the $30 million the CFL asked for was to cover operational costs- management, coaches, office costs and scouting. The larger request was to provide at least some income during the closures. I would think that it would make sense for the league to offer all Canadian players and import players who reside in Canada the league minimum salary on a monthly basis until things open up again.

55 minutes ago, iHeart said:

That Bomber is Brady Oliveira.

Coincidentally, Brady works with K9 Dog Rescuers. The woman was trying to retrieve her own dog from the river when Oliveira ran and helped with their rescue.

Nice boy Brady, nice boy!

24 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Apparently the $30 million the CFL asked for was to cover operational costs- management, coaches, office costs and scouting. The larger request was to provide at least some income during the closures. I would think that it would make sense for the league to offer all Canadian players and import players who reside in Canada the league minimum salary on a monthly basis until things open up again.

CERB gives employee's $2K per month for up to 4 months. The Canadian players should be eligible for that. American players are in Canada, paying taxes for half the year, maybe they should be eligible for $1K per month for up to 4 months. Offering the league minimum would be way more than other workers in Canada are getting for not working.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

CERB gives employee's $2K per month for up to 4 months. The Canadian players should be eligible for that. American players are in Canada, paying taxes for half the year, maybe they should be eligible for $1K per month for up to 4 months. Offering the league minimum would be way more than other workers in Canada are getting for not working.

CERB....is one issue...does it cover contractual employees? The other major overriding issue remains the status of the CBA if the season is modified, postponed, cancelled , suspended....the wording of that is semantics subject to legal determination.

39 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

CERB....is one issue...does it cover contractual employees? The other major overriding issue remains the status of the CBA if the season is modified, postponed, cancelled , suspended....the wording of that is semantics subject to legal determination.

I suspect it covers contract employee's, but don't know for sure.

My point is that CFL players should get what other Canadian employee's get, not a penny less or a penny more. The Americans get the US payment and I'd be happy if the Government changed it so they could also get half the CERB.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

If I am one of those American players I have no interest in that because once the league starts operating again I’ll pay it all back in tax on both sides of the border.

Unfortunately a lot of the American players are confronting their football mortality.  Unless they can hang on until 2021 or 2022 might be time to move on and get a “real” job.

56 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

CERB covers almost anyone who made $5000 taxable in 2018 or 2019 tax years.

Any CFL player in Canada should apply for it regardless of citizenship.  Wonder if the PA has told them that.

16 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I suspect it covers contract employee's, but don't know for sure.

My point is that CFL players should get what other Canadian employee's get, not a penny less or a penny more. The Americans get the US payment and I'd be happy if the Government changed it so they could also get half the CERB.

They should get full CERB if they live in Canada.  The guys who don’t should get zero.  The point of CERB is to maintain Canada’s economy not ship money across the border.

International students in Canada are getting CERB.  Pro athletes living here who aren’t permanent residents would be similar to me.

As a fan & the discussion around paying Americans as part of a relief program for the CFL  I have 2 minds. I believe that the government should give enough $$$ to tide the league over. But these American players who signed their 1 year deal & are using the CFL as a stepping stone to the NFL??  Well, truth is that they don't live here in Canada other than during the season. Other than playing the game,  getting in & then getting out as soon as the season ends, they have no further interest in the fans that supported them,  the City that took them in & embraced tham as players. or the CFL that gave them the opportunity.

Two years ago they had no idea where any of the CFL cities were. Other than wanting an NFL contract these players don't care if the CFL lives or dies after they leave... not a single penny. Screw them. Why should they get assistance? They can go back to bagging groceries or working in a warehouse in the States for all I care if there's no CFL.

However, the guys who have come up here, sacrificed, spent years to help build the league & are veteran players that live in our communities year round like Mike Reilly in Vancouver, Bo Levi Mitchell in Calgary & Adam Bighill in Winnipeg deserve something. These players are just as deserving as any Canadian. They live, work, pay taxes & contribute to the communities they live in. That federal MP just slapped all of them in the face with his stupid comments. Maybe a residency requirement or a certain number of seasons played as well as disqualifying all American players with 1 year contracts should be in place for eligibility. If players with 1 year deals don't want to commit long term (two or more years) to their teams or the league then why should the government commit to them? They shouldn't. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Hunt was the organizing and driving force behind the project. Whatever his actual financial contribution was it doesn’t send a positive message in a very questionable time.

Lots of owners will leave or close their businesses.  Just about every business is suffering. Not just football. Just because a restaurant fails doesn't put a black eye on that industry. It's not so much a bad look as reality.