2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

I don’t know.

I look at that list and see a lot of potential...to work with a Trump administration.

Quite unremarkable.

Say what you will about Ambrosie but he’s presented a lot more ideas and pushed to have the League successful in different ways. Successful all the time? Heck no. But, he’s probably tried a lot more than half the names on that list put together.

A sign of the times..

9 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

The plight of that extensive lists of Commissioners was the fact that they were operating at the mercy of a number of controlling private owners. Not a position of power and likely a source of great frustration. 

NO!  It's all the commissioner's fault all the time.  Come and rage with us.  Shout at a cloud!  It's fun!

I know politicians want to see solid business plans....we went through that with IGF funding and still only realized a small portion from the feds. and that was the U. of Man. portion....As was referenced before in this thread there are many moving pieces involved that have to be addressed before a viable plan can be put forward...Having said that I believe Ambroise should have had at least a credible outline before he went knocking...I'm not privy to the direct meeting he had with the Libs. but it would have been prudent for him to have all of his cards on the table and that would have saved a lot of time ...My deduction from all of this is that govt. is mulling over the facts that they have...It shouldn't take too long to have an answer if the CFL's ask is in the realm of possibility...otherwise I think we would have heard some negativity by now...I hope when all things are worked out that they will see that we are valuable entity in this country and we are recognized for it

3 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Wade Miller would make a great CFL commissioner one day. I don't know if he would leave his post as el presidente of the Bombers, but he's a great candidate.

He has the business acumen, understands the struggles of the league and bleeds all things CFL. 

I was just thinking about this last night. Thought he would have been a good one to pitch the CFLs case to the feds...

13 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Canada needs the CFL. Besides the NHL, we have no other professional sports identity. No, curling doesn't count. 

There should be no doubt the government bails out the league. Imo, of course.

Agree.

And sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread but why not present a true united front when meeting with the Federal Government for financial assistance? 

i.e., put current differences aside and have the Commissioner, the CFLPA President and a CFL owner rep present as one voice with a well laid out plan when seeking assistance from the federal government.

If the Commissioner believes the CFL potentially could fold, then push all your individual differences aside, all hands on deck. What complexity am I missing because without a league everything else is moot.

Edited by HardCoreBlue
a not an grammer idiot

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How is saying the business model is broken  ignorant when teams collectively lose $10-20 million every year with row upon row & section upon section of empty seats in nearly every stadium? It's true.  If it was any other business would you say that? I'd say not. You'd call them bad owners. 

Not many of us here were AAF or XFL fans. Whe we'd watch a game the first thing we'd notice were the empty seats & we'd snicker to ourselves thinking that particular league would fail as we viewed  both as a threat to the CFL. Well, we see a half empty stadium in Edmonton, in BC & a completely empty one in Toronto yet we don't snicker. We say to ourselves that's just the CFL does business & ignore it.

Why do so many Canadians who are only NFL fans say hurtful things & mock our league? Whether we like to admit it or not, their perception of the CFL is absolute & total failure because of all the empty seats. That the CFL isn't worth watching or investing in as a fan. I've followed the Bombers & the CFL as a fan for 55 years. It would kill me to see the league fold. I pray they find a way to survive & then if they do to finally try & fix things right. 

The CFL needs to live within its means. If that means rolling back the salary cap millions of dollars to save it, then fine.  Or adjusting ticket prices downward then fine,. Just do it.  I hope the league survives & gets a chance to reset. 

There are NHL teams they lose money too.  There is a wide gap in the cfl between haves and have nots.  I think it’s three teams currently they lose the bulk of the money but they are critical for the national tv contract which allows the league to survive. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

The PA issue is going to be an enormous one.  More than half of the contracted players and operations staff are American.  Governments will not be funding those salaries.  They might be willing to give some coverage to Canadians.

There is way more complex than just asking for $150 million in a few installments.  Until Ambrosie articulates some information on what the league has tried with partnerships that already exist I hope the Feds refuse to move on anything.

There are many opportunities available to put the league on ice and reemerge when it is safe.

If the government paid all the league essential costs that cannot be removed with operations not happening there is no way that adds up to $150 million for one season.

Debt obligations of franchises outside of public facilities should not be considered IMO.  If the private owners are bad operators even in 'good times' they can't use the pandemic as a bailout opportunity.

54 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The PA issue is going to be an enormous one.  More than half of the contracted players and operations staff are American.  Governments will not be funding those salaries.  They might be willing to give some coverage to Canadians.

There is way more complex than just asking for $150 million in a few installments.  Until Ambrosie articulates some information on what the league has tried with partnerships that already exist I hope the Feds refuse to move on anything.

There are many opportunities available to put the league on ice and reemerge when it is safe.

If the government paid all the league essential costs that cannot be removed with operations not happening there is no way that adds up to $150 million for one season.

Debt obligations of franchises outside of public facilities should not be considered IMO.  If the private owners are bad operators even in 'good times' they can't use the pandemic as a bailout opportunity.

This is the broken business model I've been talking about that some posters were bitching at me for daring to talk about it yesterday.  Some teams can do well  trying to live within their means while others just blow through money like a hot knife thru butter. Usually it's irresponsible owners who act like it's High Noon at the OK Corral when it comes to owning a CFL team & spending $$$. Then they are  just allowed to walk away whenever they want which I've never understood. These bad owners have turned off their team's fanbase over the years  in Toronto, Vancouver & Montreal. Every bad owner who walks away from their team debts should be sued  by the CFL. Why aren't they? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Every bad owner who walks away from their team debts should be sued  by the CFL. Why aren't they? 

Probably because lawsuits cost money and the CFL is always short on money while these rich assholes generally aren't.

Today was supposed to be the day the East-West Bowl was to be played...

MAY 9 – U SPORTS East-West Bowl

Then, Rookie Camp Wednesday 

MAY 13 – Rookie Camps open

MAY 16 – CFL rosters must be reduced to 85 by 11:59 p.m. ET

MAY 17 – Training camps open

MAY 19 – CFL rosters must be reduced to 75 by 11:59 p.m. ET

MAY 24 – Preseason begins

JUNE 6 – Training camp cuts must be completed by 10 p.m. ET

Did we switch over to a parallel universe?

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Probably because lawsuits cost money and the CFL is always short on money while these rich assholes generally aren't.

Bad owners aren’t necessarily stupid owners. Ask Dunnigan when he tried to sue the Birmingham team owner that just happened to own Fed Ex. The football team was a separate business entity that went out of business and was dissolved.....you are chasing wind. 

This CBC interview with a supposed sports economist is terrible. 

"If you're telling me that Ambrosie's being honest about losing $20 million last year, then $150 million is seven years of loses," he said.

"Why do you need a decade worth of losses now?"

WTF is that? Economist my ass.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-funding-pandemic-1.5563123

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

"If you're telling me that Ambrosie's being honest about losing $20 million last year, then $150 million is seven years of loses," he said.

Yeah, agree there. He should get a refund on his degrees. 

50 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

This is a negotiation- you don't start with your most realistic position right off. You ask for the stars and settle for the moon.