2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If the league survives things have to change. These guys are supposed business owners with an acumen for making money so they need to figure things out. 

Change takes time. And has already started via CFL 2.0 and trying to get the world to watch which will bring more TV contracts which means less reliance on ticket sales.

Your take on this is surprisingly ignorant 

6 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I liked this idea before and I like it now. 

Getting the American players here though, might be the biggest hurdle.

They already have an agreement with TSN. I don't think they'll just tell the CFL that it's okay, just go ahead and have PPVs. 

49 minutes ago, Rich said:

I want to see the CFL play again as much as the next person on here.  But equating a non-essential service like professional sports to allowing people to shop at grocery stores and use public transit is a little ridiculous in my opinion.  Some risks are necessary to take, others aren't.  You also don't have the same number of people in a store or bus as you would at a game, even with reduced attendance.

Listen to the experts, and don't put people's lives at risk if you don't have to.  This thing is very likely to flare up again big time in the fall, right in prime CFL season and playoffs.

This...while the games are outside, theres the whole getting to and from your seats...bathrooms, concessions etc. I also dont spend 3+ hours in the grocery store. Nor do I attend the grocery store with 2 other people who dont live with me. 

On top of that, basically my entire section is season ticket holders (211 lower section, what up!!). So who moves and to where? And if I'm moving, I'd hope/expect a better seat as I'm sure most people would...if the seats are significantly worse/cheaper then what I paid for am I compensated?

One thing the "let's find a way to do the season" folks seem to be forgetting is that it's not up to them.  It's the perview of Public Heath to determine if and how it can happen.  People like Lyle Bauer (exactly why we would be listing to him escapes me) forget that it's not just about seating.  It's entering into the stadium, the concourses,  the vending lineups, the washrooms, the exiting of the stadium and a bunch of other situations where social distancing will be difficult to impossible to enforce.  Not to mention the very likely possibility of a strong re-occurance in the fall all point to how dangerous this would be.

Football's fun, but it's not life and death.  

24 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The ppv would need be to ridiculously expensive to work Unfortunately. 

The prices wouldn’t have to cover everything, but just enough to get through whatever season length they come up with. 

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

They already have an agreement with TSN. I don't think they'll just tell the CFL that it's okay, just go ahead and have PPVs. 

It would have to be through TSN. They are sure to realize the ratings would be sky high, as evidenced by how many watched the CFL draft. 

17 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The prices wouldn’t have to cover everything, but just enough to get through whatever season length they come up with. 

It would have to be through TSN. They are sure to realize the ratings would be sky high, as evidenced by how many watched the CFL draft. 

The draft was free...

25 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I don't think advertisers would be very happy if everything went to PPV. They're TSNs partners too and all sides are suffering right now. 

The PPV idea is fatally flawed.

TSN makes it's money selling ads. The more people who watch the games, the more those ads cost. PPV greatly reduces the number of folks who watch, which in turn, greatly reduces the amount TSN can charge and bring in. They'd be better off putting all the games on TV and giving the CFL the contracted amount of money for the number of games televised.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

The PPV idea is fatally flawed.

TSN makes it's money selling ads. The more people who watch the games, the more those ads cost. PPV greatly reduces the number of folks who watch, which in turn, greatly reduces the amount TSN can charge and bring in. They'd be better off putting all the games on TV and giving the CFL the contracted amount of money for the number of games televised.

If they televised all the games as normal...with no fans..viewership would more than double as more eyes would be on the TV's...so Companies paying for advertisement on the broadcasts would get way more bang for their buck..so there is an upside to that

Gate revenue and concession revenue is the big loss in this scenario, and there is no way around that....I still tho don't see the league folding in the scenario when a season is cancelled...a majority of team costs come from salaries to players and staff and all support staff with game day and event personel...so save for the bonuses already paid out there is not a whole lot of huge $$ having to be put out in a no season scenario.

maybe the CFL will have to go with hand out to the big bad NFL for some kind of "assistance"...150M is a drop in the hat for them, and the CFL existence is something the NFL most likely wants around as it helps it more than it hurts it

20 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The draft was free...

But the interest is what I’m alluding to..and the interest would be there.

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't think advertisers would be very happy if everything went to PPV. They're TSNs partners too and all sides are suffering right now. 

Advertisers wouldn’t necessarily shy away from picking up an extra audience if TSN could co-ordinate these events to include them.
Nobody has an exact answer, but bright ideas come about when backs are against the wall and I surely can see that’s the case here.

I don’t know if it’s doable but rather than just saying no, figure out how we can say yes.

Extraordinary measures for extraordinary times.

So, I love the discussion on this, but here's a couple thoughts from someone in broadcasting re:advertising/advertisers...

-Shopping for anything and everything is down right now. If people aren't spending money at a business (Wendy's, Rona, Save On Foods, etc...) that business can't afford to advertise. That's sort of the world we're living in right now. All media corps are BEGGING for advertising right now...they've all seen a major drop off. So, asking the clients to pay more because "more eyes on the product" isn't going to fly, because they just can't afford to right now. 

I'm not saying anything is absolute, but the whole world of advertising has changed in the last two months, so I'm not sure what would actually work...

I've come to realize that the whole "Americans crossing the border" thing isn't really an issue. When talking about NHL, the feds have said that they can come over, but they have to quarantine for 14 days before they're allowed to do anything. So I'm not concerned about that at all. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

But the interest is what I’m alluding to..and the interest would be there.

Advertisers wouldn’t necessarily shy away from picking up an extra audience if TSN could co-ordinate these events to include them.
Nobody has an exact answer, but bright ideas come about when backs are against the wall and I surely can see that’s the case here.

I don’t know if it’s doable but rather than just saying no, figure out how we can say yes.

Extraordinary measures for extraordinary times.

Yes, but I don't think it would be smart to base ratings on something was free when talking about something that would not be, especially when that product would likely be close to if not over $100 per person.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I've come to realize that the whole "Americans crossing the border" thing isn't really an issue. When talking about NHL, the feds have said that they can come over, but they have to quarantine for 14 days before they're allowed to do anything. So I'm not concerned about that at all. 

Oh ok, I hadn't seen that. So one hurdle down!! yay! lol

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yes, but I don't think it would be smart to base ratings on something was free when talking about something that would not be, especially when that product would likely be close to if not over $100 per person.

There’s no way they’d consider that price. That’s ridiculous. They would have to make the numbers work, but the lower the price, the more the fans would be in, but still it would have to be in conjunction with the advertisers.

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

maybe the CFL will have to go with hand out to the big bad NFL for some kind of "assistance"...150M is a drop in the hat for them, and the CFL existence is something the NFL most likely wants around as it helps it more than it hurts it

Interesting idea about asking the NFL for some assistance. Wonder if the CFL brass has considered it? I wonder if the NFL would consider it. I agree on both your points - the NFL could definitely afford to provide some type of assistance, and the CFL's existence is a good thing for the NFL. 

My only question/concern is that once you accept that money, create that relationship, you likely change the CFL to some extent. You'd have to think there would be concessions to the NFL. Maybe not a full "minor league" arrangement with the NFL, but, I'd think they would want more control over players, free agency, etc. Maybe not a terrible thing though. Might be time for a formal working arrangement with the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

There’s no way they’d consider that price. That’s ridiculous. They would have to make the numbers work, but the lower the price, the more the fans would be in, but still it would have to be in conjunction with the advertisers.

I think it'd be close to that. You'd have to factor in ticket cost, concessions and even possibly the store purchases. Plus many households come to games together...so instead of 3 or 4 tickets, it's one PPV. And parking sales too, though I don't know where that revenue goes to.

27 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Interesting idea about asking the NFL for some assistance. Wonder if the CFL brass has considered it? I wonder if the NFL would consider it. I agree on both your points - the NFL could definitely afford to provide some type of assistance, and the CFL's existence is a good thing for the NFL. 

My only question/concern is that once you accept that money, create that relationship, you likely change the CFL to some extent. You'd have to think there would be concessions to the NFL. Maybe not a full "minor league" arrangement with the NFL, but, I'd think they would want more control over players, free agency, etc. Maybe not a terrible thing though. Might be time for a formal working arrangement with the NFL.

Maybe it is time in this age for a more fluid working relationship...one where each CFL team would be an affilaite with a group of NFL ones and could utilize players that would essentially be buried on an NFL practice sent there to develop...sure lots of logistics and details would have to be hashed out...who pays what...limits for number of players..etc..etc..but would benefit both leagues and is something that could be worked out into a beneficial working relationship between leagues...and would also possibly allow CFL teams to have greater talent play here...sure in some instances may be a short duration...half a year...a whole year..who knows.

Edited by Booch

25 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think it'd be close to that. You'd have to factor in ticket cost, concessions and even possibly the store purchases. Plus many households come to games together...so instead of 3 or 4 tickets, it's one PPV. And parking sales too, though I don't know where that revenue goes to.

I been thinking alot about the plight of our great sport and league and here's my 2 cents. Start a "gofundme" for each team in every city, I would immediately give $100 - $200 dollars towards saving the CFL no problem, maybe the Feds would make it tax deductabie and that could be their contribution. Is this a crazy fan talking out his butt or would it possibly work.

3 minutes ago, wayner said:

I been thinking alot about the plight of our great sport and league and here's my 2 cents. Start a "gofundme" for each team in every city, I would immediately give $100 - $200 dollars towards saving the CFL no problem, maybe the Feds would make it tax deductabie and that could be their contribution. Is this a crazy fan talking out his butt or would it possibly work.

I've heard worse ideas! 

So when do the feds. give us an answer?,,,I hope they don't sit on it too long and keep the league guessing....I've found in politics the longer things are drawn out that there's some sort of glitch and more conferencing is needed...Of course they could come out with a flat out 'no' BUT they could also offer some suggestions of their own, that might include some of our well heeled owners like Braley and get some input from him....We're hanging on the ropes guys...maybe we get saved by the bell and Trudeau comes through...Here's hopin'