2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

32 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The vast majority of their operating costs won’t happen if the league doesn’t operate.  So really what they need is cash to service debt, maintain facilities and pay a few staff like maybe President-GM-Head Coach.

I’m left wondering if the CFL explored any kind of deal with Bell (TSN) to get an advance on future rights payments to get through the crisis.  TSN is hugely vested in the existence of the league, plus owns one team.  Maybe they can get $100 million and pay it back over 10 years once operations start again at a few percent interest.

Also in the case of several teams you’d think they could work out deals with their provincial governments to cover debt payments on the stadiums until events are going again.

By the numbers it sounds like Randy is asking for "pie in the sky"  which would include compensating players under contract for not playing  games.  That's not going to happen, sure as **** players will not receive any substantial compensation for a lost season.  Player salaries will be the first cut,  but no surprise and they already know that,  as my old boss would say in many critical situations "somebodies got to go, and it's probably going to be you".

I read one Ambrosie quote from last night saying they would gladly open up their books to the feds to let them see all of the numbers, and why they're asking for that certain dollar figure. I'm intrigued by the notion that it's not a bailout grant, but rather a loan of sorts. I am, of course, in favour of government money to keep the CFL afloat, but I sure don't like the optics of it among all the haters...

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I read one Ambrosie quote from last night saying they would gladly open up their books to the feds to let them see all of the numbers, and why they're asking for that certain dollar figure. I'm intrigued by the notion that it's not a bailout grant, but rather a loan of sorts. I am, of course, in favour of government money to keep the CFL afloat, but I sure don't like the optics of it among all the haters...

Can they open their neg lists to their own fans? 

I think we're looking at bridge financing to get us through the episode with this killer....Not going to be easy going by past fed. govt. involvement with our league....They are reluctant with cash going our way, to say the least, BUT we have to give it a shot...Do the feds. see us an integral part of the country and 'different' and unique as some politicians are saying???Guess we're going to find out

Seems like a reasonable ask...maybe not the amount but the fed surely cant let the CFL die.  Its not about millionaire players and their hobby.  It has economic impact (and ofcourse, no millionaire players).

I assume the ask was high and they will settle for less.  

Why cant they work with health officials to come up with a strategy to play no fan games.  They will then get their broadcast money which isnt insignificant.  And I suspect the ratings would be pretty good.

If you delay the start of the season to save some games early, say, start Aug 1st.  Play no fan games.  Fans back in September.  Minimize the issue.

$150 million is nothing to the feds anyway.  Perhaps they can work with the Provinces to provide some of it.  So, feds kick in $100 million, provinces kick in $50 million.  CFL saved (and get them on TV for our enjoyment).

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And having a CFL season, even if abbreviated, would be a welcome thing to offset all the misery of the pandemic and herald a return to normalcy.

Yeah, with the slow re-openings happening now, would it be that difficult to start the season and broadcast it?  Surely TSN would LOVE the content.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Considering Trudeau promised to give Syria 1 BILLION,   Africa 400 million and Mastercard 50 million.....  he better give the league f'ning 150 millions no questions asked. 

It really is very little, especially with the CFL wanting to pay it back in some way.  All the people whining about it now will be furious if the league folded.  In fact, I suspect the Cons have two prepared responses 1) "How dare they give these greedy players that money"  2) "How dare they let this great league fold"

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Seems like a reasonable ask...maybe not the amount but the fed surely cant let the CFL die.  Its not about millionaire players and their hobby.  It has economic impact (and ofcourse, no millionaire players).

I assume the ask was high and they will settle for less.  

Why cant they work with health officials to come up with a strategy to play no fan games.  They will then get their broadcast money which isnt insignificant.  And I suspect the ratings would be pretty good.

If you delay the start of the season to save some games early, say, start Aug 1st.  Play no fan games.  Fans back in September.  Minimize the issue.

$150 million is nothing to the feds anyway.  Perhaps they can work with the Provinces to provide some of it.  So, feds kick in $100 million, provinces kick in $50 million.  CFL saved (and get them on TV for our enjoyment).

From what I saw, the full $150mill would only be necessary if there is no season. I think for a short season they were requesting $30mil...I'll try and find where I saw that.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It really is very little, especially with the CFL wanting to pay it back in some way.  All the people whining about it now will be furious if the league folded.  In fact, I suspect the Cons have two prepared responses 1) "How dare they give these greedy players that money"  2) "How dare they let this great league fold"

Its funny when there bases is from where the league is the most popular that this will probably be their take.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'd say that the NDP will definitely be going with response #1, while the Conservatives would back #2.  

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

I was just about to post the link to this story. Insane and I can't imagine the feds bailing them out. Football isn't exactly essential... And that's a fair bit of cash at a bad time. I mean how would you justify this to fiscal Conservatives.....? 

That's easy.  Just point out that the money will go to support rich guys.  Now, if it was money to support soup kitchens...