2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

7 hours ago, Bombers9256 said:

I don’t remember what he said after. Can you remind us?

Lirim didn't say anything. That was the problem. He refused to talk to the media so he left the stadium as soon as the game was over & O'Shea covered for him.  That was the last game that he played as a Bomber as he was replaced for the remainder of the 2015 season by Sergio Castillo & then signed as a FA with Hamilton. Hard lesson learned for a young player at the time. I'm sure he'd handle a bad game like he had that day a lot differently now.  Nothing like going thru a bad time time to be a good teacher of experience. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bombers-kicker-lirim-hajrullahu-apologizes-to-fans-for-saturday-s-game-1.3256317

https://winnipegsun.com/2015/11/04/end-of-the-line-with-bombers-for-kicker-lirim-hajrullahu/wcm/bdda34d0-57fc-4e11-8c80-09e89994ea93

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Larry Arugala had a great rookie season and a not so good follow up. I, and others, argued that he more than deserved a chance to redeem himself, but he was railed against by most and heckled out of town. Glad we ended up with Meddy and glad his career rebounded like a lot of us thought it would. Always liked that guy. He doesn't owe anyone, media or fans, an explanation. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Lirim didn't say anything. That was the problem. He refused to talk to the media so he left the stadium as soon as the game was over & O'Shea covered for him.  That was the last game that he played as a Bomber as he was replaced for the remainder of the 2015 season by Sergio Castillo & then signed as a FA with Hamilton. Hard lesson learned for a young player at the time. I'm sure he'd handle a bad game like he had that day a lot differently now.  Nothing like going thru a bad time time to be a good teacher of experience. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bombers-kicker-lirim-hajrullahu-apologizes-to-fans-for-saturday-s-game-1.3256317

https://winnipegsun.com/2015/11/04/end-of-the-line-with-bombers-for-kicker-lirim-hajrullahu/wcm/bdda34d0-57fc-4e11-8c80-09e89994ea93

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten about this. 

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

Larry Arugala had a great rookie season and a not so good follow up. I, and others, argued that he more than deserved a chance to redeem himself, but he was railed against by most and heckled out of town. Glad we ended up with Meddy and glad his career rebounded like a lot of us thought it would. Always liked that guy. He doesn't owe anyone, media or fans, an explanation. 

I agree. After what seems like 30 years of Wide Left Westwood suddenly Bomber fans were riding Hajrallahu out on the first train after some sophomore struggles. Made no sense then, and is now time proven.

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I agree. After what seems like 30 years of Wide Left Westwood suddenly Bomber fans were riding Hajrallahu out on the first train after some sophomore struggles. Made no sense then, and is now time proven.

Lirim made a mistake. Didn't handle it right. Most fans aren't Draconian. I think if he would have faced the media & owned what happened that fans would have got over it as would have his teammates & coaches.  I just remember it wasn't just the fans & media who gave up on Lirim.  Walters & O'Shea did as well. We all know Mike. He'll go to great lengths to protect a player from criticism or scrutiny but he didn't with Lirim.  I think Mike & Walters were very upset with his behaviour at the time. Otherwise, he'd have continued playing for the Bombers & he'd have been re-signed. Yes, he was run out of town but I'm happy for Lirim that he went to the Cats & played well. Now, he has his NFL shot. Hope he does well. 

On 2020-04-14 at 8:17 PM, Jpan85 said:

Primary residence since he took over in 2015. 24 Sussex needed millions of dollars in repairs and the government refuses to pay for them.

Speaking of which.....a great example of how amazingly inefficient government can be at spending tax-payer dollars.  

Prime minister's lakeside residence undergoing $8.6M renovation

canada-politics.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harrington-lake-renovations-ncc-1.5535502

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

The article says the property has 4 buildings. Supposedly the place is a firetrap. $3mil alone to remove clapboard, insulation, replace windows, and reinforce the foundation. Repairs that could or should have been done sooner but were put off by previous administrations that did not want to appear as spendthrifts.

The political optics of this are obviously not great on the surface, and because of that I believe the repairs must be critical; surely if Trudeau could put it off til COVID is largely resolved he would.

Wish I had 3mil or 9mil or whatever to spend on my less-than-historic but equally run-down St James bungalow

The contractor on that job is going to make some huge coin. 3 mil for basically demo, insulation, windows, and some foundation work? How big are these 3 other buildings? 80000 sq ft? A friend of a friend built a 14,000 sq ft with a 6 car garage/indoor pool and all high end finishes for 3.5 million a couple of years ago. That place is a freaking palace. Marble floors for cripes sakes....I just don't know how a lake house of what looks to around 4-5000 sq ft can cost 8.6 for renos.

Have any of you ever worked for the federal government and see how insane any contracts are?  A few examples over the years that I've seen was..... 

$500 - $1000 to mount a 40" tv on the wall

$4000 to change a door from swinging inward to outward

$500 to add the hinge to make the door slow down

$100 000 to take down a 30 foot non load bearing wall

$50 000 for 12 desks to be installed (desks price included).... these desks are Office 2.0 desks so low height (no cabinets) and very small in dimensions and they are linked together.   

$1500 for each chair....

You get the idea....  you should see how insane the prices are on big new build projects.....

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Have any of you ever worked for the federal government and see how insane any contracts are?  A few examples over the years that I've seen was..... 

$50 000 for 12 desks to be installed (desks price included).... these desks are Office 2.0 desks so low height (no cabinets) and very small in dimensions and they are linked together.   

$1500 for each chair....

You get the idea....  you should see how insane the prices are on big new build projects.....

I saw 6 months of committees and $300,000 invested in a bunch of ugly rocks that some artist tossed together in two days. Absolutely disgusting.

$50,000 and 6 months invested into re-doing 2 average window frames that could have been done in 3 days. That was 18 months ago and it's still not done. 

If the public knew how bad it really was there would be riots

Edited by Dr Zaius

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Yep...all the PM residences are trash heaps that have needed repairs for many, MANY years. It's about damn time. 

I have a buddy that was involved in the planning stages for the renos. at 24 Sussex Dr.  aprox. 10 years ago for which he was very well compensated.  These projects are perpetual money pits that just keep giving, and contractors keep grabbing everything they can.

I get that government contracts tend to receive sky high bids but when it becomes ridiculous it just frosts my pumpkin. Just giving away our money. aargh....

I suppose in this case the bright side is at least he's giving it to Canadians.

Edited by GCn20

On 2020-04-21 at 1:08 PM, Brandon said:

$1500 for each chair....

I know of a contract where a radio or sat tower was to be taken down, one guy bid 1 million bucks and no one else bid so he got it. Two guys went up with harnesses and cut their way down. Finished the job in one day. Gov't contracts are insane. 

Edited by wbbfan

On 2020-04-21 at 2:17 PM, GCn20 said:

I get that government contracts tend to receive sky high bids but when it becomes ridiculous it just frosts my pumpkin. Just giving away our money. aargh....

I suppose in this case the bright side is at least he's giving it to Canadians.

I just wish.... instead of giving all that money away to contractors... why not give it to the employees.  Jeeze give me $20 000 for a days work that I could do myself.....  

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Can’t this bloody well wait?

"The CFLPA foisted paragraph 16 of the standard players contract onto the table and it was seen by the league as an act of aggression, whether that was the intention or not.

It states:

It is mutually understood and agreed that if the operation of the CFL is suspended, this contract shall immediately be terminated and the remuneration to be paid to the Player shall be on the basis as provided by Paragraph 11 herein.

Paragraph 11 states players are entitled to compensation for work they have completed, meaning there would be no pay cheques if the 2020 season is cancelled.

So the interpretation of paragraph 16 is indeed a major issue, given that its trigger mechanism would send every CFL player into immediate free agency.

And yet, it seems obvious that the intent of the paragraph is to address a complete cessation of league operations, a folding of the tent if you will, not a postponement in the midst of a pandemic, or even the cancellation of an entire season. And it’s believed the CFLPA doesn’t want to leverage such dire circumstances to create an entirely new class of free agent."

On my first day of Contract Law class, we were told that one party makes the contract and the other party gets to interpret that contract. If there is more than one way to interpret the clause, then it's the fault of whoever wrote the contract.

In this case, I can see why the CFLPA is interpreting 'The CFL is suspended' to mean suspended as suspended instead of the league folding completely. The wording will change in CFL contracts going forward. The question becomes 'What do they do now'?

I don't think either side wants all player contracts to be torn up and all players to become free agents. Giving in on NFL dreams for a few players is the path of least resistance.

These players that run the CFLPA have had too many hits to the head. I'm not an Ambrosie fan but what the Hell can he do if there are public health orders in place denying groups over a certain number or the US border is closed? All the players seem to want to do is get out of their contracts & play in the NFL where maybe 1% of them can actually hold down a playing position on a roster.

I used to be pro players when it comes to negotiations. Now, I've gone the other way because of the constant whining & bitching by them about everything. I'm now pro owners. I'd get rid of the one year contracts. Two new leagues have failed as will others that follow so there isn't a lot of leverage for the players anymore by threatening to jump leagues so 1 year deals are now redundant. They want to play in the CFL then sign them to 2 & 3 year deals. Bring in restricted free agency where they just can't walk away anymore. Lock these idiots down like it used to be if the whining & threats don't stop in the next collective agreement. If they don't like it then most of them can go drive a forklift at the nearest factory in the US.  If they can afford to turn down $54,000 a year in this economy as Canadian players then more power to 'em. I'd have been so grateful to make that kind of money as a 22 year old when my working career hadn't even started yet. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27