2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

Yes the I pay taxes here argument will help when you're fifth in line for the only ventilator in 50 miles

I ask again where is the concern for your neighbor? Everyone is sacrificing. Oh but my wasted tax dollars on my vacation property I gotta get what's mine, everything I'm owed and entitled to, even in a pandemic! Are your hypothetical wasted tax dollars more important than the health of the people in small communities?

46 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

So you're sitting alone on your dock. Great, exposure limited for the moment, way to go. Did you stop for gas? Beer? Ice? Bait? Groceries you didn't already have in your fridge? You better not be sick you.... Typhoid Gary.

Well for one thing the vast majority of manitobans do not have covid and if you feel sick in any way you should isolate

plus if you’re going to your cabin let’s you should be quarantining for a week or at least the weekend - it’s not too much to ask for people to bring their own supplies 

again no one is checking into the ICU in their cottage country hospital - I think there is a massive understanding of how this virus progresses 

On 2020-04-09 at 12:22 PM, Noeller said:

For the good of everyone, I sincerely hope the borders get closed so the Ontario cottagers can't get through, and I hope these "Covid-Cops" that are being put out there by the province start heavily fining people who are circumventing the "Stay At Home" directive. There's now a tip line that people can call and essentially rat people out that aren't isolating as they should be. I'm stoked that it exists. The sooner we implement complete government-mandated lockdown, the sooner we can get through this...

It’s this attitude that will harm us -dividing canada by borders and regions - garbage and selfish.

Ban people? No, I don't think so. Seems a bit extreme... I haven't advocated banning anyone, I've just asked people stop being so selfish or inconsiderate or dumb or whatever it is... Maybe not driving hours to neighboring communities because they have great deals on kitty litter and diapers. Is there no grocery store in Kenora large enough to support their community? (There is). Why do they have to come to Costco, considering the risk? It just doesn't seem wise to me.

I think everyone should be doing everything they can do to self isolate, especially the things that cost you nothing, all you have to do is be considerate and at least think things through - is there a better way? I'm talking about reasonable things like getting gas when you're near E, not when you're passing by the station and the bays are empty. Not popping in to the grocery store a 7-11 for a snack or because you're bored and want to go for a walk, instead waiting a week til you can do a worthwhile shop.

Worst are the people breaking self isolation because it's Spring and they're bored. Play some solitaire or dry hump a couch cushion, whatever it takes to be entertained, just do it at home.

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎09 at 5:31 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Lived in Thompson in 1989-90. That summer of 89 was a summer of fires. They evacuated hundreds of people to Thompson from surrounding areas & even the town itself was on Evac  Alert because the fires came menacingly close but it never occurred. When I see what happened to Ft McMurray I realize how lucky we were in Thompson. Fished on Paint Lake. Was on its winter road. Beautiful lake. Is Kississing Lake the one further south? Been so long I forget. That is a gorgeous lake from the highway. 

Nope not Kississing. There are several excellent fishing lakes to the south. Are you talking towards Snow Lake?

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎09 at 5:51 PM, 17to85 said:

it's not just hospitals that can get overwhelmed. it's supply chains in general if you get a bunch of extra people in an area that aren't normally there. We already see in large cities store shelves that are empty, don't need to put further strain on small communities. 

Thompson is a city of 15000 people but is set up as the service hub for the North and directly services about 60k surrounding population.If anything is going to overwhelm our hospital, or supply chains, it's going to be the 60-70k in neighboring communities (mostly first nations) that receive primary hospital services and shopping in Thompson...it won't be the population of 200 people in the community of Paint Lake.  Further to that, as explained earlier, Paint Lake is considered a community within the BRHA. These are not summer cottages. These are homes and the overwhelming majority of people live there full time and are included in any community planning by the regional health authorities. This is not Whiteshell or LOTW where people swing in for the weekend by the thousands. The only community that utilizes Paint Lake is Thompson. The people who are at the lake at any given time, whether camping or utilizing the park are Thompsonites. The people who have homes at the lake are Thompsonites.

Edited by GCn20

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎09 at 4:52 PM, NorthernSkunk said:

Sorry for causing you a bit of grief here lol,  people really need to stop thinking they know everything before jumping on others in here. 

You have been up there long enough we must have crossed paths somewhere at sometime.  I hope yer not part of them goofy lakers that think they are Daniel Boone ( lol )

No grief. Just a bunch of people not understanding what the community of Paint Lake is, or how different a dynamic there is between it and what they are used to seeing in Southern Manitoba. They hear the word lake and think cottage, when nothing could be further from the truth. As you know, there are no weekend warriors at Paint Lake, there are residents of Thompson who live in the park close by. I'm not sure people understand that a Paint Lake residence is about 300k to start and requires a 20% down payment to finance. People are not buying or using these for weekend getaways.

Nope...not much Daniel Boone in me. I like to fish and sit on my dock with a cooler of beer, and a nice camp fire after dark. In the winter I snowmobile and do the occasional ice fishing if it's warm...lol. I just prefer to live at the lake because of the lower taxes, and to get away from the social problems of Thompson.

Edited by GCn20

On 2020-04-11 at 6:30 PM, bb1 said:

I do not own a cottage but if i did and was paying the taxes some of these folks pay ,i would say i pay for these resources in these communities just like the locals do. Perhaps these communities can reimburse the cottage owners their fair share of taxes to stay away? 

hands down the absolute worse take on this topic.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

So your argument is: "Trudeau did something stupid so I can too"?

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

So your argument is: "Trudeau did something stupid so I can too"?

You said it....😊Btw did you even hear what his reason was? Seemed to be a  decent answer but then again  what 's reasonable nowadays?

Edited by bb1

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Ya Rideau Cottage is not a "cottage" as we think of it. It's sitting PM's secondary residence... 

Primary residence since he took over in 2015. 24 Sussex needed millions of dollars in repairs and the government refuses to pay for them.

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎11 at 6:18 PM, MOBomberFan said:

So you're sitting alone on your dock. Great, exposure limited for the moment, way to go. Did you stop for gas? Beer? Ice? Bait? Groceries you didn't already have in your fridge? You better not be sick you.... Typhoid Gary.

There are responsible ways to do this. I have been self isolating for almost a month now because I can. I will be self isolating for two weeks prior to leaving, and for two weeks once I arrive there. Don't know why I'm even discussing this because I'm not going until the middle of May anyway but should the same restrictions be in place I will be making no extra trips or stops anywhere or along the way. A well thought out plan and diligence can limit the exposure to no one. I pay for my gas at the pumps. I pack my own food and bring it because Thompson is way too expensive to shop. I have a freezer full of food already there so I just need some pantry items and produce, the same as I would at home in Winnipeg.

Beer? Wine? I make my own.

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎11 at 6:30 PM, bb1 said:

I do not own a cottage but if i did and was paying the taxes some of these folks pay ,i would say i pay for these resources in these communities just like the locals do. Perhaps these communities can reimburse the cottage owners their fair share of taxes to stay away? 

My lease fees, you don't pay land taxes in provincial parks and you don't own the land, is only 1700 bucks a year. My mortgage...that's a different ball of wax. Unlike most people my "cottage" is my primary residence though, and I just keep a condo in Winnipeg for the winter because the Thompson winters are just too damn tough on my arthritis.

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎11 at 6:14 PM, MOBomberFan said:

What if (and I'm not taking sides because damn it I want a cabin) someone sick or asymptomatic BRINGS the virus to a small community and starts an outbreak that could have been avoided? Can Winnipeg support everyone West of Thunder Bay if the sparse under-equipped hospitals between here and there begin to back up?

Everyone thinks the risk to themselves is so small - end of train of thought. Where is the concern for your neighbors? Not directed at any one specific person just cottagers lol

I totally agree with you and Noeller on this. The vast majority of cottage country is weekend warriors and that is not necessary. However, like anything else there are resident "cottagers" like myself who live full time in their lake houses and may, like myself, run businesses in these communities. In these situations their livelihood is also at stake. This isn't frivolent travel.

However, if I said I'm heading up to my lake house for the weekend to go ice fishing and then returning Monday I could certainly see why people would be upset by that. Also, places like LOTW, Whiteshell, Grand Beach etc. are talking about thousands of weekend warriors coming in that are not regular residents. That is not the way every place should be judged.

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎11 at 7:08 PM, Floyd said:

Well for one thing the vast majority of manitobans do not have covid and if you feel sick in any way you should isolate

plus if you’re going to your cabin let’s you should be quarantining for a week or at least the weekend - it’s not too much to ask for people to bring their own supplies 

again no one is checking into the ICU in their cottage country hospital - I think there is a massive understanding of how this virus progresses 

I'm against the weekending at this point too. However, if someone sets up residence for half the year at a lake house they paid half a million dollars for and is willing to self isolate for two weeks prior too, and after arriving, brings enough supplies to last that long, and is not in a cottage area that increases local populations by thousands I don't see the problem. For the majority..yes stay home...but there are situations that exist where people need to go and should not be shamed for doing so. I lease a condo from a friend for 7 mos of the year in Winnipeg while he snowbirds. Come May I'm homeless if I can't return home to Paint Lake. If he had come home instead of staying in Arizona I would have been at Paint Lake a month ago and there is very little anyone could say to convince me otherwise, as I am not a fan of homeless shelters.