2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

no real issue league wide as nowhere have I ever heard a guy get canned for not wanting to do certain things roster/sms wise via an injury list..looking further into it as well seems there were/are other issues of him lining his pockets somehow with Eskimo money that wasn't part of his contract

As for cottage goers..I as well have a place in Northern Ontario on one of the chain of lakes by Blue Lake north of Vermilion Bay..It's a place that is liveable and fully functional 12 months a year, and I get mail there as well, so try and stop me from going back and forth for extended stints..

For the good of everyone, I sincerely hope the borders get closed so the Ontario cottagers can't get through, and I hope these "Covid-Cops" that are being put out there by the province start heavily fining people who are circumventing the "Stay At Home" directive. There's now a tip line that people can call and essentially rat people out that aren't isolating as they should be. I'm stoked that it exists. The sooner we implement complete government-mandated lockdown, the sooner we can get through this...

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

I as well have a place in Northern Ontario on one of the chain of lakes by Blue Lake north of Vermilion Bay..It's a place that is liveable and fully functional 12 months a year, and I get mail there as well, so try and stop me from going back and forth for extended stints..

My aunt and uncle live out that way down Blue Lake Rd., too. It's sparsely populated for the majority of the year but the spring, summer, and fall months see a major jump due to cottagers, campers, anglers, hunters, etc. The "orders" for residents in NW Ontario are the same as elsewhere: stay home as much as possible, distance yourself from others, and adhere to good hygiene habits.

Keep in mind the only hospitals nearby are in Dryden and Kenora, so I can understand the concern with all the hype re: seasonal resident booting it out that way in light of what's going on. Overloading the system in such a relatively remote region could be problematic.

FWIW, I don't think provincial borders will be closed or domestic travel bans implemented but I do think people need to be careful in the event they head out to the cabin.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I love it. Visited it twenty some years ago on a fishing trip with friends and jumped on a business opportunity in Thompson when it presented itself and moved from Winnipeg and bought a home on Paint Lake. It was a struggle to balance for a few years and eventually I just sold my businesses in Winnipeg but kept the business in Thompson. It s where I met my wife and where my kids went to school. I like to refer to myself as semi-retired because my business is seasonal but I am busy in the summer and able to make a decent living off a seasonal business while enjoying the beautiful Northern Manitoba summer days. Winter sucks though so I still maintain a dwelling in Winnipeg during the offseason.

The idea of forcing people to stay in the city makes zero sense to me...  rural hospitals are empty and if you commit to quarantining at your cabin for two weeks is that not better than our urban version of quarantining where everyone still goes jogging or to Walmart every second day.

Southern Canada doesn't really understand how easy it is to stay at your cabin for a month or more after stocking up - seems a lot safer and more responsible to me...  everyone thinks 'cabin country' is Canmore or Muskoka

Pinawa actually put up a sign telling people to, and I'm paraphrasing a touch, "TURN AROUND AND GO THE **** BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM" along the highway. I'm super proud of them. Our family cabin is at Victoria Beach, and it's close enough to Wpg that, in a worst case scenario, my parents could go to Wpg. Having said that, they won't be headed out there until the worst of this is over with anyhow. My dad lives full time at BelAir. They went in a couple months ago and bought about $1,000 worth of supplies and are locked down at their cabin and not going to the city for months. 

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The idea of forcing people to stay in the city makes zero sense to me...  rural hospitals are empty and if you commit to quarantining at your cabin for two weeks is that not better than our urban version of quarantining where everyone still goes jogging or to Walmart every second day.

Southern Canada doesn't really understand how easy it is to stay at your cabin for a month or more after stocking up - seems a lot safer and more responsible to me...  everyone thinks 'cabin country' is Canmore or Muskoka

Rural hospitals are absolutely swamped due to lack of doctors. 

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Pinawa actually put up a sign telling people to, and I'm paraphrasing a touch, "TURN AROUND AND GO THE **** BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM" along the highway. I'm super proud of them. Our family cabin is at Victoria Beach, and it's close enough to Wpg that, in a worst case scenario, my parents could go to Wpg. Having said that, they won't be headed out there until the worst of this is over with anyhow. My dad lives full time at BelAir. They went in a couple months ago and bought about $1,000 worth of supplies and are locked down at their cabin and not going to the city for months. 

Not sure what you're point actually is...   no one is saying go party at the cabin for the weekend - but going in with the intent of a two month quarantine - what's wrong with that?  

You bust GC for going to Paint Lake and no it turns out your dad is living in cabin country...  just a weird position.

And rural hospitals are quieter than ever.  True.

2 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Rural hospitals are absolutely swamped due to lack of doctors. 

I'm just talking about now - yes I agree and most have just been turned into half-assed care facilities...

But rural hospitals are quiet right now - almost no one is going to hospitals other than for covid

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

That's my summer home not a cottage. I have lived there 4 months of the year for the past 20 years and have seasonal business interests nearby that require my attendance and management. Once I am there, I will be staying there and not going back and forth to Winnipeg unless the CFL starts up again with fan attendance. This is not a loophole. I am not a weekend warrior at a cottage.....but thanks for judging.

Sorry for causing you a bit of grief here lol,  people really need to stop thinking they know everything before jumping on others in here. 

You have been up there long enough we must have crossed paths somewhere at sometime.  I hope yer not part of them goofy lakers that think they are Daniel Boone ( lol )

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Maybe, at a time like this, do what they are telling you, because you don't know what they know.  If it was fine to go to the cabin, they wouldn't be telling you to stay the hell home.  Way to many "smart people" who seem to think that they're special and the rules don't have to apply to them because "they know better".  

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

The Rider fired there entire training staff after Jones first year. I am sure they might be interested in the outcome of this lawsuit as there was a lot of chatter that it was because they wouldn't clear a player to play when Jones wanted him in the lineup and they were then fired the following offseason. Not exactly the same thing, but similar..

From a legal standpoint, they are not similar at all.

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I love it. Visited it twenty some years ago on a fishing trip with friends and jumped on a business opportunity in Thompson when it presented itself and moved from Winnipeg and bought a home on Paint Lake. It was a struggle to balance for a few years and eventually I just sold my businesses in Winnipeg but kept the business in Thompson. It s where I met my wife and where my kids went to school. I like to refer to myself as semi-retired because my business is seasonal but I am busy in the summer and able to make a decent living off a seasonal business while enjoying the beautiful Northern Manitoba summer days. Winter sucks though so I still maintain a dwelling in Winnipeg during the offseason.

Lived in Thompson in 1989-90. That summer of 89 was a summer of fires. They evacuated hundreds of people to Thompson from surrounding areas & even the town itself was on Evac  Alert because the fires came menacingly close but it never occurred. When I see what happened to Ft McMurray I realize how lucky we were in Thompson. Fished on Paint Lake. Was on its winter road. Beautiful lake. Is Kississing Lake the one further south? Been so long I forget. That is a gorgeous lake from the highway. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Pinawa actually put up a sign telling people to, and I'm paraphrasing a touch, "TURN AROUND AND GO THE **** BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM" along the highway. I'm super proud of them

In fairness the residents of Pinawa are pisssssed at city folk as the last few years a lot of people have come to the area to go toobin' and have caused a lot of mess and issues with being drunk and littering and leaving the place a mess during summer. 

I think it's more then the COVID scare. 

38 minutes ago, Brandon said:

In fairness the residents of Pinawa are pisssssed at city folk as the last few years a lot of people have come to the area to go toobin' and have caused a lot of mess and issues with being drunk and littering and leaving the place a mess during summer. 

I think it's more then the COVID scare. 

This is a whole other thing, but the tubers are idiots. Best swimming is at the sailing/rowing club docks. The beach does/has always sucked and the channel where they tune is scummy. Lame.

Okay back to the proper convo... Ha ha. 

On 2020-04-09 at 5:51 PM, 17to85 said:

it's not just hospitals that can get overwhelmed. it's supply chains in general if you get a bunch of extra people in an area that aren't normally there. We already see in large cities store shelves that are empty, don't need to put further strain on small communities. 

This is a great and underrated point. Something that everyone should keep in mind.

Edited by Blueandgold

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

For you morons.... 

I wouldn't suggest people are morons.   

To play devils advocate... could someone who does get sick not be transported back to Winnipeg?  

Also wouldn't the % be higher of being infected in Winnipeg as you are exposed to way more potential carriers?  

I understand limiting people from travelling and going on vacation... but to suggest people are morons because they rather be isolated somewhere nice then sitting in the city exposed to tonnes of other people I don't think is appropriate.  

What if (and I'm not taking sides because damn it I want a cabin) someone sick or asymptomatic BRINGS the virus to a small community and starts an outbreak that could have been avoided? Can Winnipeg support everyone West of Thunder Bay if the sparse under-equipped hospitals between here and there begin to back up?

Everyone thinks the risk to themselves is so small - end of train of thought. Where is the concern for your neighbors? Not directed at any one specific person just cottagers lol