2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

Have you not seen the spring breakers in Florida? I think the opposite will take effect. More people will ignore and go out. 

We live in an age of self entitlement, I have e zero faith that people will restrain and stay at home.

Self-entitlement is part of it, not grasping the situation.

The other part that we're all going to feel is that staying inside is not a reasonable thing to do for a period of time.  I was very mad watching the news to see people going for walks in Vancouver being berated by politicians.  PEOPLE NEED TO GO OUTSIDE!  Yes they need to take precautions and not congregate, but this whole idea of limiting interactions will not work over any significant period if the leaders in our society are heavy-handed on people being completely reasonable...going for a walk in a park FFS.

I wonder how the people of London felt in WW2 when the blitz was going on? People are supposed to sleep not stay up all night because of the barrage from the sky. We Canadians have had it so easy. The ONE TIME we are asked to sacrifice we ***** about not being able to go outside. The selfishness of people today is beyond words. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The other part that we're all going to feel is that staying inside is not a reasonable thing to do for a period of time.  I was very mad watching the news to see people going for walks in Vancouver being berated by politicians.  PEOPLE NEED TO GO OUTSIDE!  Yes they need to take precautions and not congregate, but this whole idea of limiting interactions will not work over any significant period if the leaders in our society are heavy-handed on people being completely reasonable...going for a walk in a park FFS.

Mostly I agree with what you’re saying, but going for a walk is not really the issue, but rather, going for that walk when you know there is a good chance that it will be ‘crowded’ is the focus. In other words, don’t go to popular places where you know there’s a good chance there will be no room for “social distancing” (our new buzz term)

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wonder how the people of London felt in WW2 when the blitz was going on? People are supposed to sleep not stay up all night because of the barrage from the sky. We Canadians have had it so easy. The ONE TIME we are asked to sacrifice we ***** about not being able to go outside. The selfishness of people today is beyond words. 

I think the biggest difference here is during WW2 for both Canada and Britain, the general public had more respect for their government and took pride in civic duty. Capitalism has caused the general public and your average Joe to think of himself first, instead of other citizens, most citizens now have very cynical views of government agendas.

A law or action by any government, be it provincial or federal - is only as good as it is enforced. Trudeau can have 24-hour news conferences and pep rallies urging Canadians to stay home and practice social distancing, but until people are actually arrested or ticketed, his bark has no bite.

Look at Taiwan - heavily hit by the SARS virus years earlier, they made sure they acted proactively - configuring supply chains so they could produce their own masks and medical equipment to be self-sufficient as they knew demand was going to skyrocket globally. They also rationed medical supplies on-hand to the general public, and made it illegal for businesses or individuals to profit by price-gouging (fines of up to $200,000 CAD) - both measures designed to prevent hoarding. They have even managed to keep schools and businesses open during the pandemic. Both Canada and Taiwan reported their first cases within days of each other...

Taiwan as of today has 2 deaths, 215 cases, and a population of 27 million in an area about the size of Vancouver island.

Canada has about 24 deaths and 2,091 cases... although we have a larger population (~37 million), it is much more spread out than Taiwan.

End of the day - work at home (if possible), wash your hands and stay away from idiots - all good advice even before the pandemic broke out.

58 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Forgive me if this is old news, but WTF is Mo Leggett up to on Twitter?

Tried finding him....I saw one tweet saying he was being selfish....sooo im guessing he isnt taking Covid seriously? Looks like he closed his account or something too

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Self-entitlement is part of it, not grasping the situation.

I completely agree. The politicians need to weigh the risk of infection against the mental health of a nation. Yes places where people tend to congregate in close quarters need to be closed but there is a great deal of outdoor activity that should be considered safe and encouraged. People need this for their well being.

This summer I plan on camping and fishing and I'll be choked if government does not allow these activities. Hell....I'll just do them anyway.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Mostly I agree with what you’re saying, but going for a walk is not really the issue, but rather, going for that walk when you know there is a good chance that it will be ‘crowded’ is the focus. In other words, don’t go to popular places where you know there’s a good chance there will be no room for “social distancing” (our new buzz term)

There are certainly some parks and playgrounds that should be closed. However, the vast majority are just fine. Go out kick a soccer ball or play catch, go fishing, just don't do it on the beaten path.

30 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Tried finding him....I saw one tweet saying he was being selfish....sooo im guessing he isnt taking Covid seriously? Looks like he closed his account or something too

He's definitely still there and no he is not taking covid seriously enough.  It's not a pandemic in his expert opinion and he's not going to abide by any quarantine rules because he's all about living in the moment. 🙄

He says he's lost over a thousand followers and two sponsorships already and that's just from Winnipeg.

38 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He's definitely still there and no he is not taking covid seriously enough.  It's not a pandemic in his expert opinion and he's not going to abide by any quarantine rules because he's all about living in the moment. 🙄

He says he's lost over a thousand followers and two sponsorships already and that's just from Winnipeg.

Should have lost all his Winnipeg sponsorships after his bone headed comments on Rod Pedersen show this summer. Completely classless display that day.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Refresh my memory... what did he say?

He was yapping how the Bombers have locker room issues and culture problems and that's why they were losing when Nichols went down. Also suggested that the Bombers had a lack of talent on defence and that he was available if they wanted him. Just basically throwing shade on his former team mates and coaches. To a Bomber fan it was clearly sour grapes but he chose to go to Ridernation to spew his propaganda.

I was just thinking today that we're probably not going to see a season start until Labour Day. If we get ANY CFL football this year, I'm calling it a win. It's one of the only things I really want in life right now (...other than good health for everyone...)

Elimimian (CFLPA Pres) sent out a message telling players to "prepare for the worst case scenario".....which sounds about right. Tait had a good piece today about what some of the players are doing to stay healthy during this time. Will be tough to stay in football shape for 6 months or more when you can't get to a gym to lift weights...

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Elimimian (CFLPA Pres) sent out a message telling players to "prepare for the worst case scenario".....which sounds about right. Tait had a good piece today about what some of the players are doing to stay healthy during this time. Will be tough to stay in football shape for 6 months or more when you can't get to a gym to lift weights...

He's just talking about the Grey Cup at Mosaic and having to spend a week in Regina

Madani with a few details today. They're prepping for an 8 game season, which is the absolute minimum the league is prepared to go with. Would start at Labour Day. 

Also of note, Ambrosie having a "Town Hall" for/with fans online Friday at Noon EST. 

Second, of note, MOS doing an online QnA with fans on Friday... 

POSITIVE CFL THINGS TO BE EXCITED ABOUT!!! :)❤️ 

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

Madani with a few details today. They're prepping for an 8 game season, which is the absolute minimum the league is prepared to go with. Would start at Labour Day. 

Also of note, Ambrosie having a "Town Hall" for/with fans online Friday at Noon EST. 

Second, of note, MOS doing an online QnA with fans on Friday... 

POSITIVE CFL THINGS TO BE EXCITED ABOUT!!! :)❤️ 

I can see it now. Bombers win the 2020 Grey Cup but due to an 8 game season Rider fans dub it another astrix Grey Cup win.