2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

To treat COVID19 as just another version of influenza is inviting disaster. As has been mentioned already, the full impact of it has yet to be determined and it can easily mutate into something a lot more virulent, and may have already done so. In New Jersey, a whole family of 5 became very ill and one of them died shorty after contracting it. In the following 2 weeks, a total of 4 have died and the remaining one is critically ill. This is not supposed to happen like this, as no predisposing factors have yet been identified and not all were aged. The more people who are infected, the higher the chances of mutation.

As of yesterday evening,our infection rate here in Manitoba has held at 17 for 48 hours, and all but one of the infected are in their homes, so this is great news.

And this is why it is important to take precautions now, so we don't overwhelm is system. Spread out the rate of infection so we can handle it and maybe by some time for researchers to come up with some treatments that are more effective. 

Really you want the thing to end quicker infect everyone and let god sort them out, but that isn't a solution so we try and slow the spread so we can manage it. 

and yeah the flu kills lots of people... but it's not an either or situation here, this is deaths in addition to what the flu is going to do already. Why be cavalier about that? 

Some people are just so selfish. Can't handle any disruption in their own lives so they will dismiss all evidence of this being a pandemic and try and justify their selfishness. 

To hell with those people. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and yeah the flu kills lots of people... but it's not an either or situation here, this is deaths in addition to what the flu is going to do already. Why be cavalier about that? 

Some people are just so selfish. Can't handle any disruption in their own lives so they will dismiss all evidence of this being a pandemic and try and justify their selfishness. 

To hell with those people. 

So you're seriously jumping between the Covid thread and this one just to keep the argument going with JV5 ha?

On 2020-03-20 at 1:12 PM, J5V said:

Thanks.

Here's the Merriam Webster definition of a Pandemic ...

pan·dem·ic | \ pan-ˈde-mik  \

Definition of pandemic

(Entry 1 of 2)

: occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population

//pandemic malaria

//The 1918 flu was pandemic and claimed millions of lives.

and the Oxford ...

pandemic noun
 /pænˈdemɪk/
 /pænˈdemɪk/
a disease that spreads over a whole country or the whole world

Now let's see, how big is the spread, let's look at the U.S.

COVID-19

U.S. 

Population: 327,000,000

Total cases: 15,219

Total deaths: 201

So less than .05% of the population. Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"? And these are today's stats, not even the stats which were smaller when the WHO first made it's "pandemic" proclamation. You might also be interested to know that "In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season", according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), but there's no flu pandemic.

What's happening in China ... "China has reported no new locally transmitted coronavirus cases for the first time since the pandemic began, marking a major turning point in the global battle to contain Covid-19". That doesn't sound very "pandemic"-like, does it. Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"?

How about Italy ... 

Italy

Population: 60,000,000

Total cases: 15,000

Total deaths: 1000

Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"?

This is a hype-job of epic proportions.

Give. me. a. break.

Here are numbers from Johns Hopkins’ website, which along with the WHO is a reputable site for accurate reporting (according to medical professionals and health experts who are on the front lines of dealing with this - full disclosure, I am married to one of those health professionals in this Province). Remember a couple of weeks back when Trump said they had 5 cases in the USA and would be at zero by April? Well four days ago they had 9,000 cases and 130 deaths. Three days ago it was 12,000 and 155 or so deaths. Two days ago it jumped to 14,250 and 205 deaths. Yesterday it was 19,000 and 260. As of now it is 25,500 cases and 307 deaths. That progression is the problem. Numbers are artificially low as well since there isn’t full testing yet. So cases are climbing at a rate of around 33% daily now and deaths are jumping at a rate of around 25%. Italy was at 3,000 deaths two days ago and are now at 4,800. That’s a 60% jump in two days. They had 41,000 cases yesterday and 58,000 today. So first of all, spare me the “flu has many more deaths than this in a year” BS. We are basically two weeks into the exponential growth stage. Extrapolate over a year without the “hype and overreaction” of locking down cities and guess where we end up? At a 30% progression rate, in one week from today the US has gone from 25,500 cases to 166,000. Fortunately the US death rate is about 1.3% of all cases, not the global rate of around 3.5-4 %, or Italy’s 8.5%, so we are talking “only” 2,150 dead next week, so yeah a 700% increase in one week. Canada is doing slightly better per capita, but the growth is similar. Or we can all quarantine and hope to slow those numbers.

And since my spouse is essential services and treating those who have or will get this virus which has no known vaccines, and since the powers that be don’t have or bother to have proper filtered masks for those who test due to short supply, I’ll see your high risk with my family’s own. It is very personal and real to me.  So excuse me if “I. Don’t. Give. You. A. Break.”, f*ck you very much. I don’t need another person who could infect my spouse walking around because they think this is all hype. At the very least, get off these boards and stop downplaying the risk. 

Sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread. I'll keep my further comments to the COVID-19 thread.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

The good and bad news is that this situation is just starting on our continent.

Good...we have some control over the speed of the spread still aside from a few spots (Seattle, Vancouver, Northern California, NYC area).

Bad...if we do good the peak of this virus will likely hit in September or October continent wide....meaning we'll have to maintain our sanity in social isolation for that time period and could have some issues with this virus having another wider outbreak just as our normal flu season hits....and our flu seasons have rarely been "normal" of late.  Two years ago the vaccines were total duds and this past flu season we had a strain of A and a strain of B hit at the same time which is extremely rare.

I have significant doubt that the upcoming CFL season will occur in any fashion we are used to related to length, crowds etc.  I don't believe we'll be back to normal until the fall.

Yes I don’t think any crowds over fifty will be allowed until at least sept/October 

We will have mass distribution of a covid test by June July I think and the pandemic will end

international travellers will probably always have to quarantine in this lifetime though

Yes, a CFL season gone, in its present form.

But,

It didn’t  stop the oddsmakers from giving odds on who are the favourites.

Now, at least, we have something to laugh/*****/talk about.

According to: Covers.com

https://www.covers.com/editorial/article/b640ddd9-6ba2-11ea-a980-0a73013d6078/cfl-grey-cup-2020-odds-betting

TEAM ODDS TO WIN THE GREY CUP
Hamilton Tiger-Cats +340
Saskatchewan Roughriders +500
Winnipeg Blue Bombers +550
Calgary Stampeders +550
Edmonton Eskimos +600
B.C. Lions +650
Toronto Argonauts +800
Montreal Alouettes +800
Ottawa Redblacks +1300  

I think the guys did this on St Patrick’s Day...

If the social isolation and non stop COVID news lasts until fall, we will see a horror movie worthy uptick of suicides and suicide attempts. The level of depression and anxiety in North America is already at danger levels. This cloud of negativity makes things worse and you are going to see a MASSIVE fallout if it lasts more than a couple months... 

5 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Yes, a CFL season gone, in its present form.

But,

It didn’t  stop the oddsmakers from giving odds on who are the favourites.

Now, at least, we have something to laugh/*****/talk about.

According to: Covers.com

https://www.covers.com/editorial/article/b640ddd9-6ba2-11ea-a980-0a73013d6078/cfl-grey-cup-2020-odds-betting

TEAM ODDS TO WIN THE GREY CUP
Hamilton Tiger-Cats +340
Saskatchewan Roughriders +500
Winnipeg Blue Bombers +550
Calgary Stampeders +550
Edmonton Eskimos +600
B.C. Lions +650
Toronto Argonauts +800
Montreal Alouettes +800
Ottawa Redblacks +1300  

I think the guys did this on St Patrick’s Day...

Or when there was a sale on Crackling Rose'.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

If the social isolation and non stop COVID news lasts until fall, we will see a horror movie worthy uptick of suicides and suicide attempts. The level of depression and anxiety in North America is already at danger levels. This cloud of negativity makes things worse and you are going to see a MASSIVE fallout if it lasts more than a couple months... 

People simply just won't follow the rules. I already have seen a tonne of people going out and gathering and it's only been a week.

Once the hot weather hits here people will be going out and doing their thing.

43 minutes ago, Brandon said:

People simply just won't follow the rules. I already have seen a tonne of people going out and gathering and it's only been a week.

Once the hot weather hits here people will be going out and doing their thing.

it's easier for people to think no big deal when it's not serious yet, but you get to a situation like in say italy where there are thousands of deaths happening it sobers people up pretty damned fast. 

Now I don't think it will get to that point because of the actions being taken now, but still, when it spreads to more and more people it will smarten some of the more stubborn ones up. 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

it's easier for people to think no big deal when it's not serious yet, but you get to a situation like in say italy where there are thousands of deaths happening it sobers people up pretty damned fast. 

Now I don't think it will get to that point because of the actions being taken now, but still, when it spreads to more and more people it will smarten some of the more stubborn ones up. 

Have you not seen the spring breakers in Florida? I think the opposite will take effect. More people will ignore and go out. 

We live in an age of self entitlement, I have e zero faith that people will restrain and stay at home.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Random thought, if the season is cancelled... Do the teams still pay the players and if not do the contracts carry over a year?

I'm guessing that players won't get paid anything beyond scheduled bonuses, and contracts end normally as scheduled. I'm thinking it will be up to teams to re-negotiate with guys on one year deals and so on. It will be interesting to see how things go down... I'm just hoping for a season, delayed if it has to be.