2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This comment aged well. Amazing what can happen in a week with a newly evolved virus in such an interconnected world.

Just for reference, the WHO defines a pandemic as "the worldwide spread of a new (novel) disease," such as a virus. In the case of the rapid global spread of COVID-19, the WHO was being diligent and proactive in its application of the term pandemic. As we've seen over the last seven days, what most experts predicted is exactly what's happened.

Thanks.

Here's the Merriam Webster definition of a Pandemic ...

pan·dem·ic | \ pan-ˈde-mik  \

Definition of pandemic

(Entry 1 of 2)

: occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population

//pandemic malaria

//The 1918 flu was pandemic and claimed millions of lives.

and the Oxford ...

pandemic noun
 /pænˈdemɪk/
 /pænˈdemɪk/
a disease that spreads over a whole country or the whole world

Now let's see, how big is the spread, let's look at the U.S.

COVID-19

U.S. 

Population: 327,000,000

Total cases: 15,219

Total deaths: 201

So less than .05% of the population. Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"? And these are today's stats, not even the stats which were smaller when the WHO first made it's "pandemic" proclamation. You might also be interested to know that "In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season", according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), but there's no flu pandemic.

What's happening in China ... "China has reported no new locally transmitted coronavirus cases for the first time since the pandemic began, marking a major turning point in the global battle to contain Covid-19". That doesn't sound very "pandemic"-like, does it. Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"?

How about Italy ... 

Italy

Population: 60,000,000

Total cases: 15,000

Total deaths: 1000

Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"?

This is a hype-job of epic proportions.

Give. me. a. break.

37 minutes ago, J5V said:

COVID-19

U.S. 

So less than .05% of the population. Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"? And these are today's stats, not even the stats which were smaller when the WHO first made it's "pandemic" proclamation. You might also be interested to know that "In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season", according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), but there's no flu pandemic.

Yes Mr. Trump. You know that the american stats are unreliable because of their lack of testing right? In fact any percentage of the population you try and use right now is going to be a highly incomplete number simply because of the testing limitations. Lot of people will get this virus and have no idea that that's what it is because for most people it's going to be just another illness they get in the flu and cold season. 

It is also highly dubious to compare it to the flu. For one, we have a vaccine for the flu which can prevent further spread and many people have some built up immunity to it. This is a brand spanking new virus, no one has immunity and everyone is susceptible to it. 

Stop the misinformation in the name of arguing seblantics. 

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

They're preventing it from becoming another Spanish Flu. That's the point. That's the rationale for the extreme measures. 

I like how he decided to whip out the dictionary and then bold out the portion that actually supports the WHO's literal usage of the term.

"bUt It'S a HyPe JoB!"

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yes Mr. Trump. You know that the american stats are unreliable because of their lack of testing right? In fact any percentage of the population you try and use right now is going to be a highly incomplete number simply because of the testing limitations. Lot of people will get this virus and have no idea that that's what it is because for most people it's going to be just another illness they get in the flu and cold season. 

It is also highly dubious to compare it to the flu. For one, we have a vaccine for the flu which can prevent further spread and many people have some built up immunity to it. This is a brand spanking new virus, no one has immunity and everyone is susceptible to it. 

Stop the misinformation in the name of arguing seblantics. 

It's all good, guys. You wanna hate on me for not buying into the hype, knock yourselves out.

18 minutes ago, J5V said:

It's all good, guys. You wanna hate on me for not buying into the hype, knock yourselves out.

the issue I have is that people who don't take this seriously enough could end up killing someone. That's not hype, that's the reality of how quickly this thing spreads and could end up transmitting from you to a senior or immuno-comprimised person...

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the issue I have is that people who don't take this seriously enough could end up killing someone. That's not hype, that's the reality of how quickly this thing spreads and could end up transmitting from you to a senior or immuno-comprimised person...

I agree. Why not err on the side of caution? Is that such a bad thing? As someone with health issues that put me at high risk if I contracted it, I beseech you all to please take this seriously.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I agree. Why not err on the side of caution? Is that such a bad thing? As someone with health issues that put me at high risk if I contracted it, I beseech you all to please take this seriously.

I also am in the high risk category. To anyone that actually listened I have been saying that the flu is killing a lot more people and damned right I wish people would take precautions. We have all been infected by flu-carriers that just didn't care. All I'm saying is, let's keep our perspective here as I believe this is blown out of proportion. 

“A pandemic has been declared, but not for the 24,600 who die every day from unnecessary starvation, and not for 3,000 children who die every day from preventable malaria, and not for the 10,000 people who die every day because they are denied publicly-funded healthcare, and not for the hundreds of Venezuelans and Iranians who die every day because America’s blockade denies them life-saving medicines, and not for the hundreds of mostly children bombed or starved to death every day in Yemen, in a war supplied and kept going, profitably, by America and Britain. Before you panic, consider them,” John Pilger.

I can only hope we are looking back in this saying 'man we went overboard' because that will mean we did an effective job of flattening the curve and preventing what we are seeing in Italy (bodies overflowing in crematoriums). I'd rather over react than under react. (That doesn't include hoarding)

Those are all obviously tragic things and nobody denies that. The world is a very cruel and unforgiving place. But this COVID-19 thing is different for a number of obvious reasons, hence how the world is responding to it. Emergency measures, border closures, shutdowns, etc. are happening because of the serious nature of this pandemic. Arguing otherwise is just tone deaf to the reality of the situation on this planet right now.

To say the world's reaction this is overblown or disagree that it isn't a pandemic isn't reasonable. And resorting to whataboutism isn't reasonable, either.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Those are all obviously tragic things and nobody denies that. The world is a very cruel and unforgiving place. But this COVID-19 thing is different for a number of obvious reasons, hence how the world is responding to it. Emergency measures, border closures, shutdowns, etc. are happening because of the serious nature of this pandemic. Arguing otherwise is just tone deaf to the reality of the situation on this planet right now.

To say the world's reaction this is overblown or disagree that it isn't a pandemic isn't reasonable. And resorting to whataboutism isn't reasonable, either.

It goes both ways blue_gold_84. I'm in conversations outside of this circle of my Blue Bomber Brethren where the concensus is the opposite and they see this as a full-blown hype-job. I know you know this but it bears repeating -- not everyone willingly swallows everything that the media pushes onto our plates. The WHO is far from a pristine innocent organisation free of the political trapping of any big organisation and the influences they are subject to. 

Please don't confuse not buying into the hype with a cavalier attitude towards this thing. Is it serious? Of course. Do we need to take measures to stop it's spread. Yes. Is it a killer? Yes. And you can say the same for the flu which (currently) has a lot higher death count. 

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

It goes both ways blue_gold_84. I'm in conversations outside of this circle of my Blue Bomber Brethren where the concensus is the opposite and they see this as a full-blown hype-job. I know you know this but it bears repeating -- not everyone willingly swallows everything that the media pushes onto our plates. The WHO is far from a pristine innocent organisation free of the political trapping of any big organisation and the influences they are subject to. 

Please don't confuse not buying into the hype with a cavalier attitude towards this thing. Is it serious? Of course. Do we need to take measures to stop it's spread. Yes. Is it a killer? Yes. And you can say the same for the flu which (currently) has a lot higher death count. 

This isn't the media. It's science. Not wanting to believe it is simply typical of this era. Reject science because it doesn't conform with what you believe. 

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

It doesn't go both ways when there's a consensus among experts in their respective fields saying this needs to be taken seriously. It's no different than any other consensus based on scientific data. Yeah, the media has a tendency to sensationalize what it reports but that's neither here nor there when rates of infection along with death tolls continue to rise. To what influences is the WHO subject where it would be dramatizing this type of global event, anyway?

And no offense, but calling this overblown and labeling it a hype job when the data flies in the face of both terms is about as cavalier as it gets. You can't show a lack of concern and then say "of course it's serious."

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

the issue I have is that people who don't take this seriously enough could end up killing multiple people. That's not hype, that's the reality of how quickly this thing spreads and could end up transmitting from you to a senior or immuno-comprimised person...

FTFY ****'s airborne. All someone has to do is breathe near you and you can get it. People who don't take it seriously can very much impact a large amount of people in a very short amount of time.

Edited by Bigblue204

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I also am in the high risk category. To anyone that actually listened I have been saying that the flu is killing a lot more people and damned right I wish people would take precautions. We have all been infected by flu-carriers that just didn't care. All I'm saying is, let's keep our perspective here as I believe this is blown out of proportion. 

“A pandemic has been declared, but not for the 24,600 who die every day from unnecessary starvation, and not for 3,000 children who die every day from preventable malaria, and not for the 10,000 people who die every day because they are denied publicly-funded healthcare, and not for the hundreds of Venezuelans and Iranians who die every day because America’s blockade denies them life-saving medicines, and not for the hundreds of mostly children bombed or starved to death every day in Yemen, in a war supplied and kept going, profitably, by America and Britain. Before you panic, consider them,” John Pilger.

While all of that is horrible. NON OF IT IS VIRAL. I will not catch starvation because my Mother in law visited a country with Starvation. It's extremely simple to understand. This is NOT JUST ANOTHER FLU. IT IS MUCH WORSE (what I mean by that is what it does to the body, and not just the current death toll)....or at least, COULD be much worse. We can over react now, and this will pass in a few months/a year. Or we can do nothing and reduce our population by literally millions of people.

I posted a report ( i think in the general discussion COVID thread) that showed how things would play out if the States did 3 things. 1 was nothing. 2nd was doing what their doing now. and the 3rd was extreme lock down measures. None of it is good. But 2 and 3 were still much much better then 1. 

Edited by Bigblue204

5 hours ago, J5V said:

I am  not hating, I am trying to enlighten you and help you see why this is a big deal. But apparently you've made up your mind. You're wrong, but you ain't changing your mind because feels apparently.

7 hours ago, J5V said:

Thanks.

Here's the Merriam Webster definition of a Pandemic ...

pan·dem·ic | \ pan-ˈde-mik  \

Definition of pandemic

(Entry 1 of 2)

: occurring over a wide geographic area and affecting an exceptionally high proportion of the population

//pandemic malaria

//The 1918 flu was pandemic and claimed millions of lives.

and the Oxford ...

pandemic noun
 /pænˈdemɪk/
 /pænˈdemɪk/
a disease that spreads over a whole country or the whole world

COVID-19

U.S. 

What's happening in China ... "China has reported no new locally transmitted coronavirus cases for the first time since the pandemic began, marking a major turning point in the global battle to contain Covid-19". That doesn't sound very "pandemic"-like, does it. Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"?

How about Italy ... 

Italy

Population: 60,000,000

Total cases: 15,000

Total deaths: 1000

Does that sound like "an exceptionally high proportion of the population", or "millions of lives"?

This is a hype-job of epic proportions.

Give. me. a. break.

Pro tip:  when you are not an expert in the field, and lives are at stake, maybe defer to the experts and shut the hell up.