2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

26 minutes ago, J5V said:

Maybe we're nuts but I agree. 

I'm curious - would you agree with a total ban on air travel then?

This virus has already spread around the world - cancelling flights and small events will make no difference

I agree in the sense that they needed to cancel because everything else is cancelled but in terms of stopping the spread of Covid-19... this has no impact

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

This virus has already spread around the world - cancelling flights and small events will make no difference

I agree in the sense that they needed to cancel because everything else is cancelled but in terms of stopping the spread of Covid-19... this has no impact

Well, that's not true. 

It's imperative that we flatten the curve on the spread of Covid-19. We know it's going to spread and we know that infect most of the world but our systems, our resources, simply cannot handle it if everyone gets sick at once. 

I wouldn't ban air travel but I would ask anyone who is traveling to consider whether or not their travel is critical. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I think there are times when the media needs to know it's role. His "takes" are completely unnecessary and do not add value, including entertainment. If your thing is to insult the players, the ones who pay your bills, you might need a new shtick. 

You sure aren’t familiar with guys like Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith hey?

4 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I personally agree with you, but there’s a market that for whatever reason enjoys them. 

Oh, I know why they do it because there is a segment of the population that likes this stuff. 

But, I can't blame a player when they tell the media to go ef themselves. 

51 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Air travel? No. This thing is being over-hyped by the media. All the statistics I'm seeing shows the flu to be far more deadly.

COVID-19: Approximately 4,718 deaths reported worldwide; 38 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 12, 2020.*

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

Well, that's not true. 

It's imperative that we flatten the curve on the spread of Covid-19. We know it's going to spread and we know that infect most of the world but our systems, our resources, simply cannot handle it if everyone gets sick at once. 

I wouldn't ban air travel but I would ask anyone who is traveling to consider whether or not their travel is critical. 

The biggest problems about this pandemic is that Donald Trump gutted the CDC and federal public health departments and now is engaged in a massive disinformation campaign abetted by the GOP and Fox news. No public official can say anything without Mike Pence vetting it and he has been caught lying already in spite of his claim to be a "righteous Christian". Moreover, China is a dictatorship and has been working furiously to minimize public perceptions and reports. Last week a Chinese businessman living in Hong Kong said that he had reliable information that bodies were being burned en masse on the outskirts of Wuhan but there is no way to independently verify this. 

Edited by Tracker

21 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The biggest problems about this pandemic is that Donald Trump gutted the CDC and federal public health departments and now is engaged in a massive disinformation campaign abetted by the GOP and Fox news. No public official can say anything without Mike Pence vetting it and he has been caught lying already in spite of his claim to be a "righteous Christian". Moreover, China is a dictatorship and has been working furiously to minimize public perceptions and reports. Last week a Chinese businessman living in Hong Kong said that he had reliable information that bodies were being burned en masse on the outskirts of Wuhan but there is no way to independently verify this. 

Yes this combined withe the lower end estimates of $500 for a Covid test or up to $3200...  US could get hit hard

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Yes this combined withe the lower end estimates of $500 for a Covid test or up to $3200...  US could get hit hard

And the rule of thumb is that each influenza variant infectee will transmit the disease to 7 others on average, so the numbers add up very quickly.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Air travel? No. This thing is being over-hyped by the media. All the statistics I'm seeing shows the flu to be far more deadly.

COVID-19: Approximately 4,718 deaths reported worldwide; 38 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 12, 2020.*

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

1-3% death rate.  If not controled properly, US could expect somewhere around 1/3 of it's population infected.  Whats 1-3% of 100,000,000?

31 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

1-3% death rate.  If not controled properly, US could expect somewhere around 1/3 of it's population infected.  Whats 1-3% of 100,000,000?

1/3??  Based on what?  Wuhan Province has 60 million people and was isolated... there were only 80,000 cases

Outside of China, the mortality rate is around .5%... the initial rate was high because of smog and chain smoking led to a higher percentage of pre-existing respiratory problems...

I'd be surprised if in a week or two - with more testing - that the percentage doesn't end up close to that of the flu

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

1/3??  Based on what?  Wuhan Province has 60 million people and was isolated... there were only 80,000 cases

Outside of China, the mortality rate is around .5%... the initial rate was high because of smog and chain smoking led to a higher percentage of pre-existing respiratory problems...

I'd be surprised if in a week or two - with more testing - that the percentage doesn't end up close to that of the flu

Not 1/3 (one third), but rather - 1 to 3 %.  Careful reading and knowlege is the key here.  We don't want people panicing, but we also don't want people believing that this is just flu either.

Edited by WBBFanWest

21 hours ago, Tracker said:

And the rule of thumb is that each influenza variant infectee will transmit the disease to 7 others on average, so the numbers add up very quickly.

Sheesh. Depends what you read or which talking head you listen to, I guess. I heard 2 not 7.

"Lots of people talkin', few of them know."

21 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

The data is incomplete and is heavily skewed by China presently. Don't be surprised if it ends up being the same or near that of the flu. 1% of 100,000,000 is 1 million. I doubt it ends up being that high.

24 minutes ago, J5V said:

Sheesh. Depends what you read or which talking head you listen to, I guess. I heard 2 not 7.

"Lots of people talkin', few of them know."

At one point years ago, I was on the infection control committee in a small rural hospital and that was the stat we were given.

5 hours ago, J5V said:

The data is incomplete and is heavily skewed by China presently. Don't be surprised if it ends up being the same or near that of the flu. 1% of 100,000,000 is 1 million. I doubt it ends up being that high.

I hope you’re right, but for the moment I’ll continue to listen to the experts and follow their suggestions. There’s a lot of unknown and I agree that the last thing you want is panic. People need to keep their s*** together, but also not be naive. I’d rather Canada (and the rest of the World) overreacted and be overly cautious than under. I hope you and everyone else who believes we are worrying for nothing can say “I told you so” .  I’ve got a two week trip to Florida booked at the end of April that I’ve been waiting all year for. I received an email at 5:30 this afternoon saying that the health minister and the wrha are advising that all doctors and healthcare professionals not leave the province until further notice. 

Edited by Dirty30

18 minutes ago, J5V said:

CDC has stated that the mortality rate for the virus has been estimated to be 3-3.5%, 

3 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

I hope you’re right, but for the moment I’ll continue to listen to the experts and follow their suggestions. There’s a lot of unknown and I agree that the last thing you want is panic. People need to keep their s*** together, but also not be naive. I’d rather Canada (and the rest of the World) overreacted and be overly cautious than under. I hope you and everyone else who believes we are worrying for nothing can say “I told you so.”

Well said.  All I'm saying is that the flu is not to be underestimated for it's ability to kill and this bug looks to be one of the worst. I'm all for washing of hands and quarantines. I don't even want a milder flu-type bug. The thing is, it's news, and it's being hyped up pretty good with predictable results. It's not like we haven't seen this sort of thing before and it never seems to justify the hype.