2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

16 minutes ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

I tend to look at it differently. Here's Nye's article, which I tend to agree with. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/03/04/nye-time-change-rouge/

I can see this. But I don't necessarily it would improve the game at all. What about games where a rouge would tie and send it into OT? I wouldn't be upset if they made the changes Nye is suggesting. I just don't think it's necessary. 

21 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

This is why we need the rouge:

The one thing I don't like is maintaining the 5 yard clear zone on all additional returns, it should be done away with after the initial kick so that a highlight of the CFL game can play out without being over-written by a stupid penalty call.  Sometimes the officials need to get out of the way and let chaos ensue.

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I can see this. But I don't necessarily it would improve the game at all. What about games where a rouge would tie and send it into OT? I wouldn't be upset if they made the changes Nye is suggesting. I just don't think it's necessary. 

Fair enough. I mean it's something they could try for a year and if I doesn't work out , we simply go back to the way it was. 

Yeah I see what you mean. There are endless scenarios here...hah

16 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The one thing I don't like is maintaining the 5 yard clear zone on all additional returns, it should be done away with after the initial kick so that a highlight of the CFL game can play out without being over-written by a stupid penalty call.  Sometimes the officials need to get out of the way and let chaos ensue.

I totally agree with this - after the first punt it becomes so chaotic that the most likely outcome is a no-yards penalty... which is really unfortunate.

58 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I totally agree with this - after the first punt it becomes so chaotic that the most likely outcome is a no-yards penalty... which is really unfortunate.

But, what about the rugby roots?  Next you are going to be saying that players should be allowed to wear shoulder pads and that a forward pass should be legalized.

23 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Man, this offseason is getting loooonnnggg.... and we don't even have draft picks to talk about

By April, we'll be arguing about whether the refs should change to horizontal stripes...

We can also talk about hypothetical rules changes that gets everybody arguing with each other. Like the cfl should remove the yard off the ball rule.

Just now, Tiny759 said:

We can also talk about hypothetical rules changes that gets everybody arguing with each other. Like the cfl should remove the yard off the ball rule.

If we were really a Canadian game, we would line up a metre off the ball...

The field is already 100 metres long anyway... would be an easy conversion. Get on it Randy!!

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I read what he said and it has little to nothing to do with removing a point for a ball that's kicked through the end zone without being touched. It's just an excuse to bring up the 13th man penalty again because the Riders live rent free in a lot of Bomber fans heads.

Captain Contrarian is back.   And this time... it's personal

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Driving the ball 105 yards then fumbling or throwing an interception or missing a FG and the ball going through the end zone without being touched, should all have the same result... Zero points. It's not the drive that matters, it's the failure at the end of the drive that matters.

You may have failed to get the FG but you didn't fail to get the ball through the end zone. It's not nothing. You still hit it with enough power to get it through. 1 point. Had you been more accurate, 3 points.

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

If you kick off and the ball goes through the end zone without being touched, you get no points, despite the fact that kicking a ball through the end zone is a huge kick. Why should you get a point if you kick it through the end zone from closer in?

Because one is a scoring play and one isn't.

The scoring play is a result of driving the ball and getting good enough field position to attempt to score. You still have to snap it, block, hold it, spin away the laces, and then kick it with enough power and accuracy to score. If anything goes wrong you get 0 points or worse.

The kick off isn't a scoring play. It's an obligation to put the ball in play by kicking it to the other team. It is actually a scoring play for the other team. HUGE difference.

19 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Sounds like Brandon Bridge has moved on from football... good luck to him in his next career...

https://3downnation.com/2020/03/06/rookie-again-brandon-bridge-trading-in-helmet-for-police-badge/

Rod Black will be sad. This was his biggest star when he was the starting QB for the Riders! Air Canada was said at least a 100 friggin times every stinkin game. Ol Rod really thought they had a star. Air Canada, what a joke. 

Ryan’s value cannot be determined by his punting alone. For once, Rider fans have an alternative to Pilsner Beer. Whenever he’s successful, there’s in a surge in orders at the bars for Ryan cokes..

Perfectly logical. (I’m watching Star Trek)

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Ryan’s value cannot be determined by his punting alone. For once, Rider fans have an alternative to Pilsner Beer. Whenever he’s successful, there’s in a surge in orders at the bars for Ryan cokes..

Perfectly logical. (I’m watching Star Trek)

giphy.gif