2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

Many here saying it rewards a good drive and not a failure is understandable but with athletes getting better and better, what's considered 'close enough' to kick for the rouge will keep being further and further back. Others say , ' it doesn't happen that often so who cares' which is true but there are many things that might not happen in a game that are still dealt with in the rulebook. To simple ignore it and let it be, means you are opening yourself up to future issues. 

What I don't like is being called less of a fan of the CFL if I'm in support of a somewhat minor rule change. I understand the roots of the game and appreciate them, but that doesn't mean they can't ever be changed or one day be outgrown. We don't have to totally get rid of the Rouge, but its also okay to look at it and have the discussion.

44 minutes ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

Many here saying it rewards a good drive and not a failure is understandable but with athletes getting better and better, what's considered 'close enough' to kick for the rouge will keep being further and further back. Others say , ' it doesn't happen that often so who cares' which is true but there are many things that might not happen in a game that are still dealt with in the rulebook. To simple ignore it and let it be, means you are opening yourself up to future issues. 

What I don't like is being called less of a fan of the CFL if I'm in support of a somewhat minor rule change. I understand the roots of the game and appreciate them, but that doesn't mean they can't ever be changed or one day be outgrown. We don't have to totally get rid of the Rouge, but its also okay to look at it and have the discussion.

No discussion allowed! Either everybody thinks the same way or the odd man out is completely wrong! (This is sarcasm by the way)

22 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Much better effort by BC to get fans interested 

I’ve always found it funny how BC produces tons of great football athletes, has a well run UBC team, Minor football is fairly popular, but yet attendance to the pro games are low.

22 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

I’ve always found it funny how BC produces tons of great football athletes, has a well run UBC team, Minor football is fairly popular, but yet attendance to the pro games are low.

My understanding is that the stadium is very difficult to get to...the atmosphere in a dome sucks in the summer.....and it was overpriced. 

Edited by Noeller

8 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Aaand it's a good idea.

So, you get the ball on your own 5 yard line. You drive 100 yards and on 3rd down your placekicker attempts a FG. He misses right for some reason and the ball goes through the end zone. You get nothing at all for driving 100 yards? Not even a single point? 

3 hours ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

It's a fundamental part of Canadian Football.  It's not a minor rule change.

What I don't get are CFL or Canadian Football fans who want to rip something like the XFL to shreds but then also want to bastardize the sport into that shitty game.  The XFL has done everything they can to remove special teams and predictably the product is mediocre.  Special teams is a huge part of the sport.  The American game is moving further and further away from that fundamental piece and suffering for it.  Why would we want to entertain doing the same?

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

My understanding is that the stadium is very difficult to get to...the atmosphere in a dome sucks in the summer.....and it was overpriced. 

Would buy that if people stayed away from the NHL games which is right beside it. 

Yes Vancouver is a ******* disaster with so many people living eons away in other cities because no one can afford to live in Vancouver, but downtown is still downtown. 

5 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's a fundamental part of Canadian Football.  It's not a minor rule change.

What I don't get are CFL or Canadian Football fans who want to rip something like the XFL to shreds but then also want to bastardize the sport into that shitty game.  The XFL has done everything they can to remove special teams and predictably the product is mediocre.  Special teams is a huge part of the sport.  The American game is moving further and further away from that fundamental piece and suffering for it.  Why would we want to entertain doing the same?

I don't think kicking it through the endzone on a FG should result in 1 point because it doesn't allow the other team to advance it out, therefore no point should be awarded for simple kicking it out... If you think that's fundamental to our game , then we'll simply have to disagree.  

No one wants to change what makes the CFL great and no one is saying just get rid of the rouge altogether and be like the NFL or XFL or anything else. Every league is constantly looking at changes to make things safer, more entertaining, etc. This is no different.

I agree with you about the NFL and it's direction which is why I also love the CFL,  but that doesn't mean I think we should never change anything either. We can change things without becoming the NFL or some other shitty league. 

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

My favorite thing when I go to a game in Vancouver is how easy it is to get to the stadium on public transportation. Even when I stayed in North Vancouver one time, seabus across the water, quick trip on the sky train and you're there. I despise only transportation, Vancouver is one of the only places I don't mind using it.

Bc place is the only cfl stadium I've been to nicer than IGF.  Ottawa had the best atmosphere around the stadium leading up to the game. 

I hate getting to Commonwealth in Edmonton (LRT has a station there, but as mentioned earlier, I hate public transportation). It's also too big as evidenced by $99 season tickets this year.

At least for me, BC is my favorite place to go watch a CFL game. But I'm also quiet and boring and would rather focus on the game than being in a packed stadium. So my personal preference may be different from many other sports fans

15 hours ago, J5V said:

So, you get the ball on your own 5 yard line. You drive 100 yards and on 3rd down your placekicker attempts a FG. He misses right for some reason and the ball goes through the end zone. You get nothing at all for driving 100 yards? Not even a single point? 

Absolutely. If you can't kick a 5 yard FG, you don't deserve any points.

10 hours ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

I don't think kicking it through the endzone on a FG should result in 1 point because it doesn't allow the other team to advance it out, therefore no point should be awarded for simple kicking it out... If you think that's fundamental to our game , then we'll simply have to disagree.  

No one wants to change what makes the CFL great and no one is saying just get rid of the rouge altogether and be like the NFL or XFL or anything else. Every league is constantly looking at changes to make things safer, more entertaining, etc. This is no different.

I agree with you about the NFL and it's direction which is why I also love the CFL,  but that doesn't mean I think we should never change anything either. We can change things without becoming the NFL or some other shitty league. 

Doing anything with the rouge doesnt improve the game. It's just change, for change sake. Which is almost always a bad idea.

Edited by Bigblue204