2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

17 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

Obviously you hope for 7 but when you go to kick a field goal, the drive technically isn’t over. But why should missing a kick give a point? I find it silly. 

Canadian football is all about the bigger field and because of that I think the American game evolved differently. To score a rouge in the NFL game would be too easy. I can see why they wouldn't use it. The nuances and diversity of our game played on a big field makes it a very different game requiring a different skill set from the players and especially the kickers. You just don't see kickers with a skill set like Justin Medlock's in the NFL. A skilled kicker like that can completely change the outcome of a game in the CFL. Not so much in the NFL.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Canadian football is all about the bigger field and because of that I think the American game evolved differently. To score a rouge in the NFL game would be too easy. I can see why they wouldn't use it. The nuances and diversity of our game played on a big field makes it a very different game requiring a different skill set from the players and especially the kickers. You just don't see kickers with a skill set like Justin Medlock's in the NFL. A skilled kicker like that can completely change the outcome of a game in the CFL. Not so much in the NFL.

I don’t disagree with you at all, but this really is more that I just find the single point silly on missed field goals and nothing about nfl vs cfl

2 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

I don’t disagree with you at all, but this really is more that I just find the single point silly on missed field goals and nothing about nfl vs cfl

But don't you find that single point adds a lot to the game? I'm not sure what's silly about it. To get that single point you have to drive the ball fairly deep into opposing territory. You also have to do a good job of containing the returner. I find it very exciting and it adds a new element to the FG when you realize it isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. If the game is tied and the field goal is missed but stays in play you have to get it out of the end zone or risk giving up that point. That point can cost you the game, or win it. 

2 hours ago, J5V said:

But don't you find that single point adds a lot to the game? I'm not sure what's silly about it. To get that single point you have to drive the ball fairly deep into opposing territory. You also have to do a good job of containing the returner. I find it very exciting and it adds a new element to the FG when you realize it isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. If the game is tied and the field goal is missed but stays in play you have to get it out of the end zone or risk giving up that point. That point can cost you the game, or win it. 

So I don’t mind it if it’s caught in the end zone and returnable then it gives the option of return or give up the point. But a straight miss that goes through I find silly. That’s a direct miss, doesn’t give an option for a return.  

17 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

So I don’t mind it if it’s caught in the end zone and returnable then it gives the option of return or give up the point. But a straight miss that goes through I find silly. That’s a direct miss, doesn’t give an option for a return.  

Exactly!

I see people's points and they make sense, but I've always enjoyed the NFL better without the single point. I think it rewards skill to have it just 3 for a FG and 6 for a TD. Either your kicker makes it and you get 3 or he misses and the other team takes over at the spot of the FG try.  Either way though I'll always love the CFL better then the NFL overall. It's just the one thing I don't like about the game. The NFL has its own issues...

1 hour ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

Exactly!

I see people's points and they make sense, but I've always enjoyed the NFL better without the single point. I think it rewards skill to have it just 3 for a FG and 6 for a TD. Either your kicker makes it and you get 3 or he misses and the other team takes over at the spot of the FG try.  Either way though I'll always love the CFL better then the NFL overall. It's just the one thing I don't like about the game. The NFL has its own issues...

It’s obviously not a huge issue, but it does look a bit silly when a kick misses, goes through the end zone and you get a point. But ya the cfl game is way better.

16 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

It’s obviously not a huge issue, but it does look a bit silly when a kick misses, goes through the end zone and you get a point. But ya the cfl game is way better.

You keep saying the single point is silly. Over & over. Go watch the NFL then & don't patronize us by saying the Canadian game is better.  Lots of knowledgeable posters here who can see right through you. 

See the source image

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You keep saying the single point is silly. Over & over. Go watch the NFL then & don't patronize us by saying the Canadian game is better.  Lots of knowledgeable posters here who can see right through you. 

See the source image

Well it all started the other day when this was brought into the thread and I stated my opinion. Scary I know. When people question, I’ll defend it and so on and so on. You dont have to like it or agree with it, but don’t go projecting your view on something because someone said something you disagree with. It’s a thread made for discussion, just gotta deal with it sometimes.

4 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

That's why it's only worth a single point. You still had to get close enough to the end of the field to be able to boot it through. It's a small reward for getting close enough. Besides, a kick is never a for-sure thing. Lots to go wrong. The snapper can muff the snap, the holder can bobble the ball or not get the laces turned, it can get blocked, the kicker can shank it, it can hit an upright or crossbar, the wind could blow it back in your face, etc. 

20 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'd change the rule to no point if the ball goes through the end zone without being touched. That keeps the run backs and the 1 point while eliminating the point for shorter missed FG's.

This is literally the suggested change that started this whole conversation...

The Rugby roots...

Once the anti-rouge-ists are allowed one concession they will keep coming until the rouge is eradicated from the Canadian landscape. As for the idea that the rouge “rewards failure” I would like to turn to Toronto Argonauts broadcaster Mike Hogan and his rebuttal via his Twitter account to such fallacy: “Going back to the game’s rugby roots, the rouge rewards the team for the 5-10 plays to get into a position to have the ball cross the goal line. It’s a reward for gaining field position, not for failure.”

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/03/03/cauz-defence-rouge/

Edited by Mr Dee

57 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The Rugby roots...

Once the anti-rouge-ists are allowed one concession they will keep coming until the rouge is eradicated from the Canadian landscape. As for the idea that the rouge “rewards failure” I would like to turn to Toronto Argonauts broadcaster Mike Hogan and his rebuttal via his Twitter account to such fallacy: “Going back to the game’s rugby roots, the rouge rewards the team for the 5-10 plays to get into a position to have the ball cross the goal line. It’s a reward for gaining field position, not for failure.”

Single point has been around forever, calling it a "rouge" has not, as far as I know.  Can anyone recall when this term started being used?  I don't recall it being used  at all in the 60's or 70's when I began following football.

7 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Single point has been around forever, calling it a "rouge" has not, as far as I know.  Can anyone recall when this term started being used?  I don't recall it being used  at all in the 60's or 70's when I began following football.

When nap time is over, we're going to be inundated with stories of yesteryear and the first time they heard of the rouge. 

Edited by JCon

11 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

Well it all started the other day when this was brought into the thread and I stated my opinion. Scary I know. When people question, I’ll defend it and so on and so on. You dont have to like it or agree with it, but don’t go projecting your view on something because someone said something you disagree with. It’s a thread made for discussion, just gotta deal with it sometimes.

Well, that silly rule has been around for 110 years & it has worked out pretty well.  You don't like it, fine. I just get tired of hearing it's silly (as you keep saying) because it isn't. It's the Canadian game grounded in history. You change or take away any part of the Canadian kicking game & the result will be closer to the 4 down version of football in the States.  I like both games. They have their own set of individualized rules that make them unique. The single point is here to stay. It won't be tweaked or changed. 

Old man yells at cloud

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, that silly rule has been around for 110 years & it has worked out pretty well.  You don't like it, fine. I just get tired of hearing it's silly (as you keep saying) because it isn't. It's the Canadian game grounded in history. You change or take away any part of the Canadian kicking game & the result will be closer to the 4 down version of football in the States.  I like both games. They have their own set of individualized rules that make them unique. The single point is here to stay. It won't be tweaked or changed. 

14 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

Nah.... watching 22 players stand and stare at a ball dribbling down the field is way more exciting.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, that silly rule has been around for 110 years & it has worked out pretty well.  You don't like it, fine. I just get tired of hearing it's silly (as you keep saying) because it isn't. 

Your opinion vs my opinion. Agree to disagree.