2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

The people who constantly want to mess with scoring have no respect for the rugby code and it’s influence on Canadian football rules.  Kicking is part of the game.  Kicking the ball into touch is worth a point.  The trade off is where the next scrimmage begins.  The point is hardly a reward most often and it also forces the defending team to play the ball if it is.

23 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The people who constantly want to mess with scoring have no respect for the rugby code and it’s influence on Canadian football rules.  Kicking is part of the game.  Kicking the ball into touch is worth a point.  The trade off is where the next scrimmage begins.  The point is hardly a reward most often and it also forces the defending team to play the ball if it is.

this makes a very very good point...

1 hour ago, Tiny759 said:

But it’s not really a reward for a missed touchdown. The team still had a down and can go for it. The single point on a missed field goal is a direct reward for a miss.

Like mentioned above it's origins are in Rugby, just like the rest of Football. At the end of the day the point of the game is to get the ball into the end zone. Missing a field goal does that. A 1 point reward seems reasonable.

I think the extra point on a missed field goal is stupid.  Right now a field goal that is kicked nowhere near the uprights still counts for a point but it if barely misses and hits an upright or crossbar, there is no point awarded.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

If we are going to award participation trophies to prove how Canadian we are, then we should at least be consistent.  You get a point because you tried your very best to kick that ball through those posts.  I could see how much it meant to you and how sad it made you not get 3 points - so here you can have 1.  Keep working at it and I know you can get it all the way through the next time!

A much better rule would be to still award a rouge only on punts not returned from the endzone.  It would allow for some very interesting decisions.  You are behind by a point with no time left on your 35 yard line.  Do you try to win the game with a field goal or do you tie by punting it out into the corner of the endzone?

And the "stay true to rugby rules" also holds no water.  We have never stopped changing the rules from that of rugby.  We have changed the scoring, the ball, the field, the equipment, and the entire way the game is played.  This is where you draw the line?  You are completely good with changing the entire game as to make it completely unrecognizable, but you better not touch this one bizarre rule even though it is no longer relevant.

18 minutes ago, MC said:

I think the extra point on a missed field goal is stupid.  Right now a field goal that is kicked nowhere near the uprights still counts for a point but it if barely misses and hits an upright or crossbar, there is no point awarded.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

If we are going to award participation trophies to prove how Canadian we are, then we should at least be consistent.  You get a point because you tried your very best to kick that ball through those posts.  I could see how much it meant to you and how sad it made you not get 3 points - so here you can have 1.  Keep working at it and I know you can get it all the way through the next time!

A much better rule would be to still award a rouge only on punts not returned from the endzone.  It would allow for some very interesting decisions.  You are behind by a point with no time left on your 35 yard line.  Do you try to win the game with a field goal or do you tie by punting it out into the corner of the endzone?

And the "stay true to rugby rules" also holds no water.  We have never stopped changing the rules from that of rugby.  We have changed the scoring, the ball, the field, the equipment, and the entire way the game is played.  This is where you draw the line?  You are completely good with changing the entire game as to make it completely unrecognizable, but you better not touch this one bizarre rule even though it is no longer relevant.

The scoring rules are the same.  They've evolved a bit 5 points to 6 for a "touch" and a convert going from 2 points to 1.  That happened 90 years ago.

The FG miss is also only a point if the defending team does not get the ball out of the the endzone.    Those kicking decisions happen all the time because of the rouge and the game is way more entertaining for it.  A FG is a skill play and making rules to favour punts through the endzone over FG attempts would just be horrific really. 

I see the craving for changing the scoring rules to just draw right down to wanting to bastardize the game in the name of some inferiority complex to American football.

I have never seen the point on a missed field goal as reward for failure. I have always felt if a team drives the ball to field goal range but misses the kick, the potential for a point is fair because they have not failed, they driven the ball into range. The same goes if they simply created a turnover, did not advance the ball, but missed the kick. They created the turnover so a point on a miss is fair.

I tend to look a bit more at the circumstances leading to the kick. If you don't want to give up a point on a miss, don't let the opposition drive the ball and don't turn it over. 

I don't see it as rewarding failure but actually rewarding what you accomplished. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Like mentioned above it's origins are in Rugby, just like the rest of Football. At the end of the day the point of the game is to get the ball into the end zone. Missing a field goal does that. A 1 point reward seems reasonable.

Fair but we can still appreciate the origins of the game but change rules that don’t apply as much to football. If it wasn’t for changing rules we wouldn’t have the game we love today. 

3 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

But it’s not really a reward for a missed touchdown. The team still had a down and can go for it. The single point on a missed field goal is a direct reward for a miss.

How can you say it's not? No one will try for a touchdown on 3rd & 10 if they're on the other team's … say 30 yard line. Every coach will take the 3 points. 

Who doesn’t love the rogue? 😁
There is no need to do an end around on the rouge. It’s part of our unique version of professional football. 
When I first starting watching the CFL, it was the game itself that piqued my interest. The peculiarities and all. And yes, the rouge may be considered odd, but it’s our odd, and most people who follow the CFL understand the reasons behind it. It’s Canadian and most are entertained by every aspect of our game.
And that’s my point.

In fact, it’s all our point.

Let’s keep it.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How can you say it's not? No one will try for a touchdown on 3rd & 10 if they're on the other team's … say 30 yard line. Every coach will take the 3 points. 

So hit the field goal and you get the 3 points. Miss it and well should’ve hit it then. 

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When a drive starts do you hope for 7 or3?? 

Obviously you hope for 7 but when you go to kick a field goal, the drive technically isn’t over. But why should missing a kick give a point? I find it silly. 

Edited by Tiny759

3 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Obviously you hope for 7 but when you go to kick a field goal, the drive technically isn’t over. But why should missing a kick give a point? I find it silly. 

Because it's not 4 down football. It's 3 down with Canadian football. It's a different game. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Because it's not 4 down football. It's 3 down with Canadian football. It's a different game. 

You’re right it is 3 down football. Doesn’t mean every rule it has is a good one. I think we will just agree to disagree on this one.