2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I was wondering about that...  I mean I would still list Jake Thomas as a starter but field 8 CDNs...

Yeah depending how the rest of the offseason goes it will either be 6 NI on O and 1 on D or 5 on O 2 on D.  They have to maintain that the entire game so if you list 7 on O and zero on D but then you have a couple injuries to the NI's on O it becomes a scramble.  You have one guy who is a starter but not technically a "starter" for ratio purposes.  Then you have an import sub who can replace anyone on the field on O.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah depending how the rest of the offseason goes it will either be 6 NI on O and 1 on D or 5 on O 2 on D.  They have to maintain that the entire game so if you list 7 on O and zero on D but then you have a couple injuries to the NI's on O it becomes a scramble.  You have one guy who is a starter but not technically a "starter" for ratio purposes.  Then you have an import sub who can replace anyone on the field on O.

I wasn't sure how that officially worked...  that being said, I think I'm still more comfortable with 7 NI on offence - because subbing in a less talented fifth receiver with Rush or Mike Miller isn't as bad as losing Thomas in a game...

Still a long way to go - I'm sure we're going to find another Cdn or two on D

Just now, Floyd said:

I wasn't sure how that officially worked...  that being said, I think I'm still more comfortable with 7 NI on offence - because subbing in a less talented fifth receiver with Rush or Mike Miller isn't as bad as losing Thomas in a game...

Still a long way to go - I'm sure we're going to find another Cdn or two on D

Well they'd have 3-4 guys they are comfortable with playing D minimum for the one spot, and they don't have to declare that a NI will be used at a certain position, just that a NI will be on the field at all times on D.  So right now there's Thomas, Briggs, Miles, the DB's, Griffiths and whoever we draft, plus Hansen who can't "start" as one of the 7 but unless it changes for this season he can sub in for anyone.  

Worst case scenario if Thomas and Briggs go down you throw a guy out at field corner if it comes down to it, 2/3 of the QB's in the league can't make a throw out to the field, you just gotta switch to a zone that will make it harder for the O to isolate that guy.  **** that used to be the gameplan...remember Matt Bucknor?

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

How does it work with this vets counting as NIs now. Could you not hypothetically start Woli, Peterman, Demski with Lawler and another american and then sub Adams in as your 3rd NI a couple of plays into the game?

Yeah it will be interesting to see how that plays out and how it is allowed to be manipulated.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Tasker- 5 catches 65 yards .39 TD per game 90 catches 1170 yard 7 TD per season

Dressler- 4 catches 62 yards .54 TD per game 72 catches 1116 10 TD per season

^ There's the career stats broken down per game and season.

Lawler is our star IMO.  Already right there and primed for a huge breakout with more usage.

What's the games played per player?

23 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

What is it that keeps him tied to the Hamilton area even when there's the possibility he could earn a job elsewhere?

Extremely tight with family in Buffalo area.  Playing  in S. Ontario is more than just convenience it's vital. Also I suspect a shoulder injury was far more severe than stated . He struggled when he came back at tail end of season. Total non factor in post season.

Health status, awaiting surgery etc. might be what's holding contract up. Thinking out loud. 

Team is ridiculously underserved by media here.

Edited by Zontar

2 hours ago, Zontar said:

Extremely tight with family in Buffalo area.  Playing  in S. Ontario is more than just convenience it's vital. Also I suspect a shoulder injury was far more severe than stated . He struggled when he came back at tail end of season. Total non factor in post season.

Health status, awaiting surgery etc. might be what's holding contract up. Thinking out loud. 

Team is ridiculously underserved by media here.

Drew Edwards did a great job covering the Ti Cats for the Spectator. So, naturally that meant moving him off the Ti Cat beat & eventually laid him off.

36 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He left to operate 3DownNation full time and then sold the site to Justin Dunk.

I thought he was reassigned by the Spectator & then laid off.  Either way, the guy is missed.  That seems to be the fate of every good CFL writer. To do something else. Guys like Jack Matheson, Don Blanchard, Reyn Davis, Jim Proudfoot, Scott Young, D I c k Beddoes & others who covered the CFL for decades & had all kinds of sources are gone now & the likes of them are never coming back.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I thought he was reassigned by the Spectator & then laid off.  Either way, the guy is missed.  That seems to be the fate of every good CFL writer. To do something else. Guys like Jack Matheson, Don Blanchard, Reyn Davis, Jim Proudfoot, Scott Young, D I c k Beddoes & others who covered the CFL for decades & had all kinds of sources are gone now & the likes of them are never coming back.

Hal Sigurdson was a calmer, more rational counter to Matheson's ranting.

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/23/redblacks-confident-schemes-can-trump-talent-especially-for-receivers-and-pass-rushers/

Lapo must be wondering what he's done to deserve first Mack and now Desjardins...

So Desjardins two pressers this year are 'oh no my job is so hard because of the salary cap' and 'we didn't bring in receivers because Lapo didn't want them'...

They are going to destroy Arbuckle as a starter... sad.