2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yes we do..but we didnt go on a shopping spree and dont have a backup qb making 275k.

We also lost hardly anybody. Hamilton lost quite a few pieces. We lost a backup QB, a first round draft pick salary and a corner in terms of significant costs.

And don’t forget, even teams with first rounders this year don’t have to budget for those. They’re league minimum now.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

We also lost hardly anybody. Hamilton lost quite a few pieces. We lost a backup QB, a first round draft pick salary and a corner in terms of significant costs.

And don’t forget, even teams with first rounders this year don’t have to budget for those. They’re league minimum now.

Rose, Sayles, Gaitor, Kongbo, Nevis, Roh, Fenner, Rios, Hecht, Jones were mostly AR players we lost just off D

9 hours ago, Mike said:

I mean ... they could do a proper rebuild. This just seems silly though. Unless their scouts can find an entirely brand new wealth of depth.

Giving almost a million dollars away for the combination of Matt Nichols, TJ Jones and Davaris Daniels is ridiculous.

Totally agree. I don't understand the Argos moves at all.

Just now, Geebrr said:

Rose, Sayles, Gaitor, Kongbo, Nevis, Roh, Fenner, Rios, Hecht, Jones were mostly AR players we lost just off D

Sayles and Rios were on entry deals - technically costs us 22k in 2020 to replace them and I’d be surprised if Roh, Gaitor and Nevis were making more than 100k (believe it was reported than Nevis was about 90k)

Kongbo, Rose and Derek Jones probably gave us some savings. Would imagine Johnson took Fenner’s salary.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sayles and Rios were on entry deals - technically costs us 22k in 2020 to replace them and I’d be surprised if Roh, Gaitor and Nevis were making more than 100k (believe it was reported than Nevis was about 90k)

Kongbo, Rose and Derek Jones probably gave us some savings. Would imagine Johnson took Fenner’s salary.

Sure,  it is hard to know the exact amounts but you could be right. I  think if we did the same with Hamilton we would say the same thing.

I wouldn't say we lost nobody, though. 

OT: I am starting to get concerned that Gray is not going to work out here. He is not old, but I wouldn't call him young either. 

Is he the long term plan at tackle? Is it guard? If he hasn't figured out guard by now for us I'm not sure he will.

May make sense to move on and try to get as much as we can back, give him a chance somewhere else. 

FA in 2021

Edited by Geebrr

12 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Sure,  it is hard to know the exact amounts but you could be right. I  think if we did the same with Hamilton we would say the same thing

Fair comment for sure - if we sign nobody because there’s no room, I’m sure we could make sense of it but if we all of a sudden sign Derel Walker, I wouldn’t be waiting for the release that was now necessary either. 

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Fair comment for sure - if we sign nobody because there’s no room, I’m sure we could make sense of it but if we all of a sudden sign Derel Walker, I wouldn’t be waiting for the release that was now necessary either. 

True, but then I think about us sweating Durant's 70k like it was a giant deal. I get that we got no value, but cripes, it felt like the Riders had 3 guys retire after bonuses and it didn't bother them much.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

True, but then I think about us sweating Durant's 70k like it was a giant deal. I get that we got no value, but cripes, it felt like the Riders had 3 guys retire after bonuses and it didn't bother them much.

And we signed Bighill after that...

5 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

https://looniecap.com/salarytracker.html

The CFL's capfriendly. Hard to gauge the accuracy, for sure. Surprised to see Demski's salary as high as 185.

its surprising to see..cause it's not....he is 250 max...and he did a re-structure as well prior to the end of 2019...so it could be less this year with a bit of 2020 money being funneled to him for 2019 season...same as what Meddy did prior to the new year, and what he and Bryant did at the end of the 2018 season...smart GM'ing by Walters

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Yeah I mean Medlock at 180k or whatever it is + 65k minimum is still more expensive than 120k each on a punter and kicker and if you’re paying that much for both ... why?

I'd be a bit surprised that an NI kicker or punter makes less than $150k now...  Canadians get their $$

25 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Big legem, can't figure out why Bede isn't considered a "global".

1. He was in the league before the Global designation so he keeps his import designation.

2. He gets paid more as an Import than the capped Global salary.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-eskimos-to-retain-name-increase-engagement-with-inuit-communities-1.1442817

The Edmonton Eskimos announced Friday the team will be retaining its name after a year-long "research and engagement program" found no consensus to support a change.

This program included meetings with Inuit leaders and community leaders in Iqaluit, Inuvik, Yellowknife and Ottawa; and a research phase with a combination of in-depth interviews with Inuit across the north and in Edmonton, and a telephone survey among a broad group of Inuit across Canada.

"There were a range of views regarding the club’s name but no consensus emerged to support a name change," the team said in a press release. "The club has therefore decided to retain its name."

The team also announced it will be increasing its engagement with Canada's Inuit communities following the program.

“The research program provided the club with many insights,” Janice Agrios, chair of the board of directors, said. “A key learning for us was the desire of northern communities to increase the club’s engagement with them. As a result, we have invested the time and resources to create a Northern Community Engagement Program and will continue to engage with Inuit leaders and community members to strengthen the ties between the club and the Inuit community.”

On 2020-02-13 at 12:34 PM, TBURGESS said:

1. He was in the league before the Global designation so he keeps his import designation.

2. He gets paid more as an Import than the capped Global salary.

He also played NCAA football before he went to Laval.  Bede and his reps tried to get NI status while he was at Laval and the fact he was enrolled at a NCAA school nixed that.